Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dish size for 1degree west

• 19-04-2003 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

quality an dsignal strength are fine up to about 10 o clock
    pm, quite a few stations go after that or when its raining.

i am using an 80 cm dish in wexford, how much bigger would i need to go to get steady signal strengths? would 1.2metres do the job?

thanks for your help

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I found these ... now where do I find a big dish ?

80cm is fine on 28, 16, 10, 13, 19E and maybe even 30W where you are, but a bit small for 1W (There is very little FTA on 1W, and that is mostly on 13E & 19E). About 1.2m where you are for 1W.

You would want to put 1W on centre normal LNB position on a 1.2M and then the 19 and 13 about 8" to left, side by side and lower. Won't work on an 80.

On 80 you can mount 28.2 about 4" to left (look at fron to dish) of dish pointed at 19E, as we are in service area and signal is strong for a 60cm dish.

The Tip of Scotland's north east edge is on edge of 1W coverage, so a big dish with LNB on main focus is needed.

I have a friend in Dublin with 1.5m and 0.3db lnb with no prob pulling in sirus.If your west and going 1.8 Im sure it will work. Good Luck!
    I can get some channels on Thor/Sirus with 1m and 0.9db LNB. (Limerick)

With a 1.8M dish even a 1dB LNB probabily work.

What could you expect to receive not more easy on Hotbird or Astra?

Or do you want specifically scandinavian Languages?It mostly encrypted. D2MAC almost gone.

Sirius tends to be extremely weak during the night especially the vertically polarised stuff as like 2D, it is very tight to a specific region.

I find it impossible to get anything after 9pm and using a 1.1 dish.

check www.lyngsat.com They show coverage if you click on the "beam" link on each transponder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 bohshead

its definitely at night my problem so obviously related to the narrow beam. not sure that i would get that much better signal without spending big bucks, i will just have to get a job at night and watch films during the day!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

the channels there will be moving to NDS Videoguard shortly, so if you're gonna spend any big bucks, just get a sub to Sky's Movie Channels.....

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Smeagol

Very good reception here in Sligo with a 1,80m dish. Weakest beam at 45%. Sirius (5°E) one beam (the one with TV1000) much weaker. Viasat channels will soon change to Nds/Videoguard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

anyone have any idea what size dish i would need for 12.5west. I live in dublin and have a 80cm. is this ok or would i need to go bigger?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Ro

12.5w works fine on a 1m - but not in the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Smeagol

Agreed, 1m should work fine over there, but trying the 80cm costs nothing and it could work on a dry day. or night (for the playoffs)

Advertisement