Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[DE] freenet launches new ADSL lineup

Options
  • 19-04-2003 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭

The German ISP freenet.de recently launched its new ADSL access products. There are 3 packages, all now running at 1536kbps (or 3x the speed of Eircon)... That's 1.5Mbps!

Start: 4.90 euros per month, but 1 cent per minute after the first 25 hours and a 1 GB cap

Power: 14.90 euros per month, always on, 5 GB cap

Heavy: 24.90 euros per month, always on, 10 GB cap

All packages appear to come with free activation and free modem!

[edit]removed[/edit]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

1,5 mb down with a 10 gig cap seems pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

10GB is perfect for a cap why would you want more?
    There is no legal reason to justify more than 10Gb download even with Linux ISOs you would stay well within the cap if you played games on one pc and browsed constantly for one month on another.

Not everyone is a Warez monkey 3gb isnt enough but 10 is perfect as its so cheap there must be a reason why the cap is there.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Originally posted by Jorinn
    1,5 mb down with a 10 gig cap seems pointless.

I tend to agree.It's like being given a Ferrari and told you can only drive at 30mph :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by KdjaC
    10GB is perfect for a cap why would you want more?
    There is no legal reason to justify more than 10Gb download even with Linux ISOs you would stay well within the cap if you played games on one pc and browsed constantly for one month on another.

Not everyone is a Warez monkey 3gb isnt enough but 10 is perfect as its so cheap there must be a reason why the cap is there.

kdjac

sorry my bull**** meter seem to be going off the scale. you could easyly exceed 10gb's if your using your connection for work. Even if your not, just say your sharing it with 4 flate mates you could rack up 10gb's no problem. What right do you have to say anybody who requires 10gbs or more is a warez moneky, this type of atitude is what keeps the rest of use down. maybe you think all those going for via adsl are warez monkeys. You should keep your small narrow minded opinions to yourself, or at least stop claiming that 10gb's is perfect for everyone.

All that said, 10gbs is acceptable, for your average internet user, weather it is acceptable for your average broadband user is another question. You have to ask yourself what you need a 1.5mb line if your not going to be downloading over 10gb's

Btw, while i cant say for sure with this service, isn't it standard in germany that you pay 1) line rental 2) a standard charge for your dsl line and 3) your isp subscription? if so, those prices are very deceptive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Originally posted by carbsy
    I tend to agree.It's like being given a Ferrari and told you can only drive at 30mph :P
    It's more like buying a ferrari and being told you can't drive more than 1400 miles a month :P

zynaps

But I still don't like the idea...

• Advertisement

I have a 3GB cap for 10 months now ,have stayed within it with 2 pcs ,1 constantly on.

If there is justifcation for a cap ie: ISP has limited bandwidth why shouldnt they cap it ?
    Its when its capped at 3gb its a problem, our caps are not there to limit Broadband but to limit brodband take up. Freenet are not a massive ISP they are a reseller so would be justified in capping their products.

Also if you were Broadband for work you wouldnt be getting a residential offering like the Freenet one, you would get a business one.

See how it says Heavy, Power that means its residential not business and 10GB is perfect for a residential BB connection.

Tho i only have DSL a year now so maybe i dont know what to use a 10GB cap on (legally).

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭shinzon

It depresses me to think that people think that 10 gig cap isnt enough for their needs, god what do you want to dl for crissakes, I agree that 3gb is not enough considering browsing is included in the cap, but 10 gb is way to much for anyone, ye cant have your cake and eat it as they say

SHIN

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

People are always going to have differing opinions on this, and different usage habits.
    I suspect I might go over a 10 gig cap, although I may end up just using 3 or 4 gigs, there's no way to tell, but it puts a bit of a dampener on it when you have a limit like this imposed.

If it's called "heavy" or "power" though, you would think that implies you would be a heavy or power user. Hence why you might feel a bit iffy about signing up to something with a definite cap on how much you can download without ending up in the shit.

zynaps

I have a 3GB cap for 10 months now ,have stayed within it with 2 pcs ,1 constantly on.

If there is justifcation for a cap ie: ISP has limited bandwidth why shouldnt they cap it ?
    Its when its capped at 3gb its a problem, our caps are not there to limit Broadband but to limit brodband take up. Freenet are not a massive ISP they are a reseller so would be justified in capping their products.

Also if you were Broadband for work you wouldnt be getting a residential offering like the Freenet one, you would get a business one.

See how it says Heavy, Power that means its residential not business and 10GB is perfect for a residential BB connection.

Tho i only have DSL a year now so maybe i dont know what to use a 10GB cap on (legally).

kdjac

what you want a golden star? it might surprise you to learn that people will use braodband for work. ADSL is completely unsuitable for business needs and no self respecting company would use it, given an option. these cries of 10gbs should be enough for everyone, if we listened to that crap we would still be back in the stone age of 486 computer's. Do you watch broadband tv, do you download game demos, move trialers do you use a web cam, do you operate a server (not illegal jsut against Tand C) do you do any of these things, or is braodband for you jsut faster dial up and you haven't changed you habites. things get bigger not smallers, 10gbs maybe enough on a 512k service for the average light-medium user, at the moment, but you dont really think it going to remain that way.

Your assumption that everybody who uses boradband for work is going to pay for a business model is bull****.

shinzon speak for yourself, some men are just bigger then others, in every department.

Btw a 56k connection will download about 15gigs a month no problem

Your assumption that everybody who uses boradband for work is going to pay for a business model is bull****.

:confused: If you need it work and need that kind of bandwidth yes you pay for a business model.
    Thats why they call them Business products and home users get residential products.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

How come this has turned into a flame war? Alright perhaps not quite, but getting there. Guys, if you need more bandwidth, they only charge a few euros per gigabyte for overages, not like Eircom where you might be billed per MEGABYTE! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

They are good offerings and they beat anything currently available in Ireland. Even ignoring the price difference 5 gigs at 1.5m/sec is far better than 5 gigs at 512k.

At 14 euros, there's few who would be put off by the price.

If you want uncapped broadband in Germany, it is available at, I think, 750kbs. Also better than anything here.

:confused: If you need it work and need that kind of bandwidth yes you pay for a business model.
    Thats why they call them Business products and home users get residential products.
    So basically i have to get two connections installed, one for my works and/or school and another for if im playing games or the like, i see. I say to you, who needs that type of bandwidth if it isn't partly for work reasons, i mean its going to make feic all difference as far as gaming goes. The point i'm making is once i pay for broadband i have the right to use it for what ever i want work or play, and just because you haven't exceeded it doesn't meen that those who have are criminals of some sort. I'd also make the point having braodband and keepign to the 3gig limit, whats the point.

You will only buy the business model if you want super speed, sometimes all people want is an always on connection and you cant convince me that type of person isn't going to go over the limit

SkepticOne, uncapped available in 1.5mb speeds for awhile now in germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

um this maybe a stupid question but whats their site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭DSLinAbsentia

For the love of all that's holy. We're not part of Germany. Stop dreaming!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

opps sorry i thought ww2 went the other way my mistake :p

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭matthiku

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    The German ISP freenet.de recently launched its new ADSL access products. There are 3 packages, all now running at 1536kbps (or 3x the speed of Eircon)... That's 1.5Mbps!

Start: 4.90 euros per month, but 1 cent per minute after the first 25 hours and a 1 GB cap

Power: 14.90 euros per month, always on, 5 GB cap

Heavy: 24.90 euros per month, always on, 10 GB cap

All packages appear to come with free activation and free modem!

Correct me, if I am wrong, but this is how I understand the situation in Germany: To the prices mentioned above, you have to add the basic ADSL line fee from the Deutsche Telecom (or any other Telephone Service Provider, if available), which may be another € 20 to € 30.

Other then in Ireland, where getting ADSL means also getting Internet Access as well, this is not the case in Germany (and maybe other countries as well).

Instead, you need to get the physical DSL connections from one provider, and Internet Access from (the same or) another ISP.

Of course, there may be offers available, which bundle those two products - but I don't think the Freenet offer is one of them.

Originally posted by matthiku
    Correct me, if I am wrong, but this is how I understand the situation in Germany: To the prices mentioned above, you have to add the basic ADSL line fee from the Deutsche Telecom (or any other Telephone Service Provider, if available), which may be another € 20 to € 30.

I have to wonder do people ever even bother to read my posts anymore, did i not say this in my first post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

In relation to the 10 Gig cap, someone mentioned TV. When I had DSL I did watch TV on broadband, and listened to the radion on high quality. I actually watched far more TV then I would normally as well since I could do other things at the same time while listening/watching tv, wqas far more proudtcive but it did eat my bandwidth a bit. and it would eat heavily into a 10 gig cap if you watched decent quality.

I would imagine that for the bulk of us that we watch telly on the telly and high quality radio through the telly.

I like technology, but unless my PC has 32 inch wide screen surround sound 5.1 dolby then, eh, no thanks! Also, I pay NTL at present and I do intend to get by 100 euro+ worth thanks regardless of my net connection.

Madness I tell you, madness.s Ye'd make Richard III proud so ya would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Well thats your view on it. But you can watch stations on the net other than the ones NTL offer y'know. You can hook your computer up to a tv and attach your 5.1 speakers to it too if you like.

How many times must it be said, just because you (plural) don't see the need for having large/no cap, doesn't mean there isn't one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Originally posted by DSLinAbsentia
    I would imagine that for the bulk of us that we watch telly on the telly and high quality radio through the telly.

I like technology, but unless my PC has 32 inch wide screen surround sound 5.1 dolby then, eh, no thanks! Also, I pay NTL at present and I do intend to get by 100 euro+ worth thanks regardless of my net connection.

Madness I tell you, madness.s Ye'd make Richard III proud so ya would.

I get my radio through the, erm, radio.

NTL on a 32 inch screen with dolby might be grand, but can you pick up the Vladivostok evening news, or Wake Up Beijing as part of the NTL Basic package? I don't think so. :ninja:

Indeed, how I YEARN for Wakeup with Beijing every day. And life without the Vladivostok evening news - darn, how EMPTY could my life possibly be!

Are we too lonely, is that it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Hi, im pie and i will be banned from this forum if i use insulting language towards another poster again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

For gods sake, calm down lads.

Both groups are entitled to their own opinions.

It's just that the opinion of the narrow-minded idiots who refuse to believe you can download over 10GB a month is completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭matthiku

Originally posted by Boston
    I have to wonder do people ever even bother to read my posts anymore, did i not say this in my first post
    Sorry Boston, you are quite right. But your hint was drowned in the ongoing debate over a capped service (which wasn't IMHO the initial topic of the thread). So I've only scanned your post and thought it would just cover this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement