Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Master Slave HD Won't Register with Win2k

• 19-04-2003 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭

V.strange problem, went to connect my 6 gig Quantum Fireball as a pslave, attatch it, change the bios (it detects it) all is looking good, boot up, go in to my Computer and there it's not there :confused:

I have the jumpers on it all set up correctly etc, all other devices work, floppy, both CD-drives etc.

Anyone got any ideas?

quite frustrating as I want to back my HD up :o

It't not the HD as I tried another one and same deal again.

Thanks,

Samba

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

this sounds very weird,

okay your bios is set to auto i presume....some might ask you to enable LBA but i presume thats not a problem since you have your pmaster working, what size is the first may i ask?

as reagrds to the jumpers , have you got cable select on,

if you do, try a staright pmaster/pslave setup

check your IDE cable for faulty wiring (this could be a reason) although the first pmaster would or should malfunction, anyways go over it with a fine tooth comb ;)

let us know

:ninja:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Is the fireball NTFS formatted ? I had the exact same problem where I had an NTFS hard drive working fine in one PC on Win2K and would not work in another PC also with Win2K. Unsure whether NTFS permissions are retained and when you throw it in to another PC they simply won't work due to the permissions not being correct for that PC. Go figure. I ended up trasfering the data to another FAT32 hard drive then moving that hard drive to the PC to transfer the data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

is the hard drive showing up in device manager
    if so

start-run mmc

add/remove snap in disk management on local pc

make sure logical disk management service is running

regarding ntfs security
    the ntfs security permissions do travel with hd..

but local admin by default on win2k overriddes ntfs permissions to reset them anyways..

so thats not the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Yup Tis Paul, probably why, I havn't had the chance to check it out in Device manager, will have a gander tonight.

Thanks Folks

Advertisement