Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I.E. opening new windows/browsers?

Options
  • 20-04-2003 9:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to teach someone how to use a computer for the first time esp surfing the net. The main thing they are having problems grasping is that occasionally on Internet Explorer when you click on a link it 'opens a new window' rather than just staying in the original browser. This leads to frustrated comments of 'why can't I go back to the previous page?' etc etc

Now. Trust me I've tried to explain whats going on here and the person (whose otherwise v.good at grasping computer concepts) just stares blindly at me to the stage where I've just given up on explaining this to them.

So I was wondering does anyone know of a program out there that will override any HTML commands to 'opens a new window' and instead just open the URL in the same page when needs be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

You could disable javascript in the advanced IE options as thats what is opening the windows. Problem is that other sites wont work the way they are meant to. There are loads of popup blockers on the net, but this isnt exactly a pop up so you dont want to block them, you want to direct it back to the same window. To be honest id say your best bet is to get him used to the idea that it happens sometimes.
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

Originally posted by daveirl
    That wouldn't work at all. He's not talking about pop ups he's talking about the way if you click on the links in my sig they come up in a new window, that's not Javascript it's the use of target="_blank" in the HTML code, which I don't think you can block or stop.

There are more than one to open a new window with a link, you can also SHIFT click the link to open it in a new window. the following code is javascript to open a new window as well.
    i was giving a possible solution to one of them.

[PHP]<Script Language="JavaScript">
    <!-- Hide from old browsers
    function openwindowlink() {
    newwin = window.open("http://www.boards.ie","Boards",&quot;
    height=320,width=320,scrollbars,resizable")
    }
    // end hiding --></Script>
    <a href="JavaScript: openwindowlink()">Open Window</a>
    PHP]

i also havent heard of a way to stop all of them unless you alter the way the browser runs and that just aint worth it.
    Again id advise just explaining it to him again and hope he gets it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

So I was wondering does anyone know of a program out there that will override any HTML commands to 'opens a new window' and instead just open the URL in the same page when needs be?

this would a BAD BAD BAD idea. Imagine this person using a different computer to access the interenet without this software installed ? the person would still be confused and you would have failed in teaching him/her properly.

remember one of the main benefits of the net is that it can be accessed by different machines worldwide.

I would explain it to the person like this :

1) Open two instances of the webbrowser manually.
    2) On the first window, open a different link, and show the browser going BACK
    3) On the second window, show the person that you cannot go back because there was no page before hand.

if the person can grap this, then ineffect, they have grasped the new link idea.

just dont use any software, as this negates the whole idea of the net in the first place.

Advertisement