Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATMs

Options
  • 20-04-2003 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭

Right, well I went out last night, it wasnt a particularly good night (due to married men hitting on me and the fact that i was stood up) but regardless i went to a club with my mates, before we went in I took €40 out of an AIB banklink, grand, etc.

I went in, my mate gave me €5 and i paid 24 euro(with one of the €20 notes) in for the two of us, no problems.

Then about half an hour later i'm at the bar buying some drinks, I had over the other €20 and after a couple of minutes the bar man comes back to me and says: "i'm sorry that note is a counterfit." I stand there in shock and explain that it cant be cause i got it out of the bank, he shows me a real €20 from the till under the scanner, there's these glowy globe like things on them, then he put mine under it, no glow, and they cant legally give it back to me

FFS.

I rang the guards this morning, the club is supposed to report counterfits straight away, they hadn't. The guard is calling into them today to see what the story is. I've to ring the bank on Tuesday (when they open again) and see if i can get the details from them.

This happen to anyone else?

<< Fio >>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Sounds like you got scammed by a barman, who keeps a dodgy €20 for such a reason.

If someone claims you've given them a fake, make sure they call the cops there and then, it's in your interest, esp if you've just taken the note from a hole in the wall.

There was a case a few years back where a guy going to the US got several hundred dollars worth of fake notes from AIB (AFAIR) and subsequently sued their ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

"after a couple of minutes " he came back? That sounds suspicious. Borzoi could be right about the scamming barman. In any transaction, be it with cash, laser or visa, keep your eye on what happens to your payment.

On the other hand, it is possible that a fake €20 note was given out by the ATM. All cash that is not new and is dispenced from ATMs *should be counted by hand, and therefore the bank can say they are confident that there is never fake cash dispenced. This will make it hard to prove you got a fake €20, you would need to stand under the ATM camera showing the €20 until the guards came. But I would go to the branch the ATM was attached to, and make a fuss, you should get your money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I have heard of tis before. Not sure if it is the banks, the machine fillers or the customers that are ripping people off. The dodgy notes get put into the machine and then dispensed to innocent punters.

The banks should be obliged to put only new sealed packs of notes into ATMs and all used notes should have to be sent back to head office for inspections and only returned when verified.

I have heard of this happening to loads of people but never heard of anyone getting satisfaction. The banks just wipe their hands of it which is wrong. i would love to see someone make an example of the banks.

Banks never take responsibility for their mistakes, if they put notes in the wrong slot (i.e. 20's in the 10 slot then you can be sure that they will come after you).

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sounds like a scam by the barman alright.
    Originally posted by ballooba
    I have heard of this happening to loads of people but never heard of anyone getting satisfaction. The banks just wipe their hands of it which is wrong. i would love to see someone make an example of the banks.
    Actually they could be done for passing dud notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

The trouble is proving tat you got the note from the ATM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Well I wasnt staring at the barman but i was watching him scan the note a few times, the notes were all very crisp, and the note he showed as a fake was very crisp, showed me real one in the machine.

AIB wants a copy of my bank statement showing the money came out of my account and they want to see the fake note.

The guards went down to get it and they said they'd call me back, waiting for that now.

<< Fio >>

Advertisement