Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Simpsons 300...happy Birthday!!

• 20-04-2003 12:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭

The simpsons 300th episode is on sky tonight. One defo not to miss!!

Sunday 20, 21:30, Sky One

Barting Over: The 300th episode of the cult animated comedy. When Bart discovers that when he was a baby he once used in a TV commercial and that Homer spent all the money he earned, he gets himself legally separated from his parents. With the voices of US pop group Blink 182 and skate boarding hero Tony Hawks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

wow, how exciting. is that show still on?

what a load of ****e [episodes up to season 5 excluded]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

Still possibly the best cartoon ever, every one has their own opinion, but you would never win a war saying that the simpsons is not STILL the most popular and creative cartoon series on the block!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Jim-its been crap since after season 5?Are you insane?The first series or 2 was,in all honesty,crap.Presumably we thought it was good back then as it was something new and different,but lets be honest,it is all very amateur compared to later seasons.There is no satire,and Homer is too responsible to be funny.In season 1 Bart is the bad guy and Homer is the flawed guy trying to control his mad family.In later seasons Homer becomes the hilarious idiotic oaf with no sense of responsibility who Marge tries to control.
    The Simpsons is still the best animated series.Betas South Park no contest and always gives me more laughs than Family Guy(excluding the truly brilliant first season of Family Guy-it really was tight competition for best animation but IMO it slipped a little afterwards)
    Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire
    7G02 Bart the Genius
    7G03 Homer's Odyssey
    7G04 There's No Disgrace Like Home
    7G05 Bart the General
    7G06 Moaning Lisa
    7G09 Call of the Simpsons
    7G07 The Tell-Tale Head
    7G11 Life on the Fast Lane (aka Jacques to be Wild)
    7G10 Homer's Night Out
    7G13 The Crepes of Wrath
    7G12 Krusty Gets Busted
    7G01 Some Enchanted Evening

That is the first season-how many eps had memorable quotes?Few.
    Bart of Darkness
    1F17 Lisa's Rival
    2F33 Another Simpsons Clip Show
    2F01 Itchy & Scratchy Land
    2F02 Sideshow Bob Roberts
    2F03 Treehouse of Horror V
    2F04 Bart's Girlfriend
    2F05 Lisa on Ice
    2F06 Homer Bad Man
    2F07 Grampa vs. Sexual Inadequacy
    2F08 Fear of Flying
    2F09 Homer the Great
    2F10 And Maggie Makes Three
    2F11 Bart's Comet
    2F12 Homie the Clown
    2F13 Bart vs. Australia
    2F14 Homer vs. Patty & Selma
    2F31 A Star is Burns
    2F15 Lisa's Wedding
    2F18 Two Dozen and One Greyhounds
    2F19 The PTA Disbands
    2F32 'Round Springfield
    2F21 The Springfield Connection
    2F22 Lemon of Troy
    2F16 Who Shot Mr. Burns? (Part One)

That is series 6-I could sit here typing for days the best quotes and moments.
    BTW here is the episode list
    http://www.snpp.com/guides/ql.html

One more thing-in the Sun yesterday it very briefly mentioned a"lost" episode of the simpsons which was never shown in which Bart fights Hitler or something.Does anybody know anything of this?It sounds a rather odd plot-could it be one of the awful early simpsons shorts from the late 80s,in which case it is probably better if we never get to see it.
    edit-I found this.....

"Originally due to air after the episode "Bart The Daredevil" was a short animation entitled "Nazi’s On Tap". Designed to appear as a "lost" Simpsons episode from 1944, the episode had a crudely-animated Bart and Homer capturing Adolf hitler, with Bart ending the episode by saying "That was neato, now for Hirohito!". Despite the script being completed and the audio track laid down, for reasons unknown it was never animated."

http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:l7fBR7ugFYEC:www.bubblegun.com/features/simpsons.html+simpson+lost+episode+hitler+bart&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8

As for tonights episode Im not one of these people who attempts to find faults with the new episodes as some sort of hobby but I was disappointed with it.It wasnt a cringe worthy awful ep like the odd one or two recently but considering it was the 300th ep there were few LOL moments.It was on the bad side of average.I dont know-maybe I would have thought it was better standard had it not been such a landmark episode.But for the 300th episode nothing spectacular really happened.I was expecting at least one new Homer quote that would become a classic:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

That episode was absolutely hilarious :)

I was afraid at first when Bart and Lisa got the videos out that it was going to be another shite clip episode, but thankfully it wasn't.

If only all the new ep's could be that good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

low to medium lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I didn't think it was that great. A few funny bits, but other than that nothing special. It's the first episode of the new ones I've seen and if they're all like this one then I haven't missed much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

It wasnt great tbh. i think its main problem is all the celebrity guests they have had on in the last few seasons, which means they have to write a story to fit them in somehow. Which in most cases doesnt really work.
    Thats the reason why family guy, south park and king of the hill (brilliant but always overlooked) imo has the edge over newer simpsons, as it focuses more on the content of the show, instead of cramming in as many celebrity guests as possible which never really seems to work, bar the steven hawking episode for the final scene alone, pure quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

not a good episode at all. i laughed about 3 times is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Man that was a fairly bad episode even by the Simpsons standards! Not a single laugh was to be had by anyone other than Nelson.

Oh and how clever to base an in-joke round the fact that this was actually ep302 rather than 300. I nearly split my sides sighing at that one :(

Also can't the writers work out that if you have to have one of the Springfield characters introduce the gueststar by saying "Hey aren't you <insert celebrity name here>?" then they really aren't a 'celeb' in the first place?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Some good points here made about guest stars.It is alright to have guests turning up in the occasional show,but it does get a bit pointless when there is seemingly little sensible way to connect them into the storyline.Come to think of it it seems most of the newer episodes have a guest star.They typically are only on screen for no more than a minute and often they contriubute little,and actually often annoy you by the way they have nothing good to say.

Back in the day in general guest stars didnt play themselves,they voiced a temporary character in the show e.g when Steve Martin played Ray Patterson in the sanitation commisioner episode,possibly my favourite ep of them all.OK,U2 did appear in that episode but at least it was easily interwoven into the storyline what with their environmental campaigning and so forth.Homers appearence at the concert is one of the best scenes ever
    "I know you young people want to see these rock and rockers........Cos Id be the most whack,tripped out sanitation commisioner EVER!Can ya dig it!??!"where the scene quickly cuts to Homer attempting a last ditch effort to win the crowd with a dance before being hauled away for a beating for security.But Im gone off topic......
    But as I was saying these days the guests dont seem to play a key role-whereas in the old days the scriptwriters might have said"Hmmm,seeing as its an episode partly about Homer mismanaging the environment we could invite U2 to play themselves".Nowadays it is more"Do you think we can somehow build a storyline that will give us an excuse to get Tony Hawk on the show?"

BTW did anybody think the Michael Jackson window joke fell flat on its arse last night?Another thing they try to do increasingly is get in too many up to date gags which dont really work.

In spite of saying all this though the simpsons is not in need of being put to sleep IMO.It is not as good as it once was and this is partly understandable seeing how long it has been running.But you do get the impression that the writers have gotten very lazy.Is Matt Groening and the other original writers even doing anything with the simpsons anymore or is it true he spends all his time on Futurama now?Its just I find it hard to believe that he would let some recent stinkers be broadcast.

They really ought to get Conan O Brian back.He was one of the main guys back in the simpsons best days .
    "Only I may dance".No Conan,if the new guys fcuk up any further its a case of only you may write.Im suprised that Fox arent paying him a load to return.In the US networks are obsessed with ratings as it reflects advertising intake.If ratings for the simpsons fall they will either have to cancel the show or take Conan back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Personally I don't mind them selling a show by having celebs in the eps but I think it is a bad idea to (a) have the celebs play themselves (or reprising roles they already play eg Fox Mulder) and (b) having these characters contribute absolutely nothing to the plotline (as was clearly the case with Tony Hawk yesterday).

Introducing the characters is annoying but I understand why its necessary. However giving shoutouts to Blink182 is just pure lazyness and pandering because lets face it, anyone who cared (or is likely to ever care) who Blink182 are would have twigged it from the fact that they were (a) playing their most famous tune at the time and (b) had 'BLINK 182' stenciled onto their drumkit. How much more info do you need?

The simpsons writing staff is already hindered enough by its collective lack of talent without having to schew their scripts to suit every b-list celeb who wants to boost their cred thru being on the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

2 words...lame and lame. The Tony Hawk Vs Homer thing just annoyed me. The Michael Jackson reference was eh yeah who cares? It was not funny. There was the odd LOL moment I think, wasn't there? Funny, I can't recall a single one...
    Where the hell were the classic lines from the real characters like Moe, Krusty, Wiggum or Burns ??? Have the writers forgotten about these guys altogether ???

:ninja: karate chop for you so-called writers of comedy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I have to say I was disappointed with this episode. There were one or two moments which I found funny, but overall its not one I'd watch again. As a special occasion episode I think they really let themselves down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Bah... It was crap!

If only they'd make episodes like "Sold Seperatly" again then it'd be good. But quite frankly.. it's terrible at the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

my favourite episodes include:
    the lemon tree one
    the monorail one
    the gun one
    the hulaboluza one

(Billy corgan: Smashing pumpkins,
    Homer simpson: smiling politely)
    classic
    :)
    best show ever

Advertisement