Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone go to the Debasement Gigs?

Options
  • 20-04-2003 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah does anyone ever go to them? There's one on in The Da 2 bar this Saturday. The Da2 is totally changed and the sound is actually good now. It's gonna be really cool though everyone should go.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Doolap

I'm sorry to have to let you know that the only people that go to the debasement gigs are the young innocents who buy tickets from their friends whose band is playing. A certain promoter, lets call him Paddy F, no wait that's far too obvious lets just say P Fogarty makes a killing on a young band who somehow manage to sell 80 tickets to every poor soul that they know......Don't do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

In Paddy's defence he is willing to put up bands who have never gigged before and he doesn't make them pre pay for the tickets plus if they sell a few they will probably make a few bob for themselves, ask any band thats gigged with him for a while and they will tell you he always does a good deal with them on tickets.

Also he has some good venue's in use from time to time and he gets good crowds.

He gets very bad press from alot of people but they reality is he is very fair, especially when compared to other Dublin promoters lets call one fo them Aidan W, enough said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Actually i'm in a punk band called Verbal Discretion and we play the Debasement gigs. Paddy's a really good guy. As the fanj said, he doesn't make bands pre-pay for the tickets so he isn't tryin to screw anyone over. As for him making money, well so what? He gives bands a chance to play to crowds and he deserves to be rewarded for that. He also puts no pressure on the bands to sell loads of tickets but if a band sells tickets, it ensures that at least their friends will definately be there and they're not just playing to an empty room.
    True, people mainly go there to see their friends' band play but if people try to give the gigs a chance they'd see that some really good bands play there (eg. The Spungos, Fall-Out etc.). Plus, as i said, The Da 2 Bar is a really cool venue now-the sound is great and the crowds are gettin bigger.
    Ok so they're not in as big venues as Blast gigs and things like that but they happen regularly and they're pretty cheap to go to and there's lots of bands that would do better if more people would go to the gigs.
    Is what i think anyway. Ah well. People should go to the gigs anyway and see what you think yourselves.

p.s. Check out my bands website at www.verbal-discretion.tk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭hell Kat

totaly agree with the lads!
    ive played for paddy for roughly the last year. he always gives regular gigs and he is the fairest promoter weve worked with so far. he also tells u advice to ur face when u ask him and hes willing to take on feedback about his own set up from the bands themselves which i dont think many other promoters are willing to do.
    dispite the fact that teh best gigs r those packed with young kids who come to support thier mates' bands, we all have a brillaint time at them when theres a good crowd. its not like ur breakin the bank to get in either, so whats the problem?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 skinnybassist

Just a couple of points.

1. Yea ok, Paddy Fogarty will give ANYONE a gig, but it's that total lack of quality control that puts debasement gigs at the very bottom of the Dublin "scene". Any of you debasement regulars (a.k.a. the hoodie crew :p ) ever see the "bands" "Broken Strings?", or "Zaphoid"?. I mean other than for charity or just to laugh at them, who in their right mind would let bands like these play..(and they are only a small example, I'm sure there's many more where they came from)...unless, of course, they're providing handy money for the P-Daddys arse pocket..... :cool:

and 2. The tickets are cheap?!?! Last time I heard it was 7 Euro for a ticket and 10 Euro if you didn't have one?!?! I'd hardly call that cheap, especially for Da2 at f*cking 1 o clock in the afternoon!

I much prefer mister "Aidan W", he's far more entertaining. :D

:ninja:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

I tend to agree. Don't play gigs till your good n ready. If your still ropey then who wants to go see ya? If your songs are good and your musics tight then Gigsmart will get ya a gig that'll cost you nothing (as will others keep an eye out for our new site (www.Gigsmartireland.com getting a makeover) with an article on recommended promoters and their financial deals!).

DEATH TO PAY-TO-PLAY GIGS

Advertisement