Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cd's won't play in DVD-Rom drive anymore!

• 20-04-2003 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone come across something like this before?

Reason i ask is that when i was playing an avi file from cd in the dvd-rom drive, the drive stalled for no apparent reason.
    Power was ok as as door of drive could be opened, and it still played a dvd !!
    After trying to remove it from system and re-installing (OS win2k), still same problem.

There is no virus on system nor cd after running anti-virus scan, windows reports no problem with drive nor resource conflict and drive shows up in windows ok.
    Tried switching drive onto another IDE channel, still same problem.

The cd in question and other cd's play ok in cdwriter but not in dvd drive.
    DVD-rom drive will now not detect any cd at all !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

bit like my own here at home.

DbD drive wont play any discs [incl dvd disc] without some coaxing [open close..open close with disk in]

and the CD-R drive plays them fine.

put it down to a wanked DVD drive.

dunno how it came to be tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

suggest flashing the firmware on the drive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭str8_away

Reason i ask is that when i was playing an avi file from cd in the dvd-rom drive, the drive stalled for no apparent reason.
    Power was ok as as door of drive could be opened, and it still played a dvd !!

If your DVD-rom plays DVD then it sould be OK.

Have you tried to copy AVI file to HD and play it?
    AVI file could be encoded and your DVD-rom might not be fast enough to givve out information for decoding or there might be a problem in the encoding.

Is it a largre AVI file? Does this happens to all AVI files?

Advertisement