Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sky pick and mix option

• 20-04-2003 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

After reading posts on other forums that given the choice people would like the option to choose their own channels, I would like to hear what you think!

Would you like to see a pick n' mix option on Sky ? 12 votes

Yes, it would be a great idea
    0% 0 votes
    No, it's fine the way it is
    91% 11 votes
    No option what so ever
    8% 1 vote

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Oh I'd like
    BBC 1 / BBC 2 / BBC 3 / BBC 4 /BBC News 24
    BBC World / EuroNews / Bloomberg / Fox / EuroSport TCM
    Hang on a mo.. They are all FTA (or in the case of BBC soon.)
    and UTV and CH4 should be terresterial here soon too..
    =========================================
    And I don't want any cartoon channel other than Bomerang - (at least I can see them on RAI) - classic cartoons don't need dialog.

Actually I'd only need one channel
    "Sky Discovey New" - where they show the new episodes of all the discovery/history/national geographic /sky one programs - It would still repeat too much but at least if you missed it for a month there would be something new on.

Sorry 'bout the rant - I've just seen SKY One for the first time this year - you've guessed it - another bloody repeat - just like when I saw it at Christmas.

Hear's another point - the big blockbuster films are better on the big screen. And as for the other dross, I missed a lot of films in collage - so rather than catch up - I'm just in a two year frame shift - still seeing the same number of films as everyone else.

SKY - learning from microsoft's licensing dept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

it would be great

axed from my subscription would be (in no particular order):

UK Style, Living TV, all childrens channels except Boomerang. all Discovery channels except for the main one and Home And Leisure, MTV Hits, MTV Bass, MTV Dance, The Box, Smash Hits, KISS, Q TMF, The Hits, VH1, Scuzz, Flaunt .........

i could go on for the day with this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    UTV and CH4 should be terresterial here soon too..

and where did you hear this little beauty

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I dont think a pick n mix is possible, and indeed wouldn't make financial sense for Sky or channels covered in the subscriptions. Nice idea though.

I'd offload quite a lot of channels. The option to just remove channels that I dont watch from EPG would just be as convenient for me! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Of course pick & mix is possible.

In fact with phone line you could even just pay on basis of programs actually watched.

There is no technical limitation at all.

With phone line it could even be changed daily.

With present human operator based system it would also be possible, but more costly for Sky.

With "Interactive" select channels on Digibox, sky would save money, less call center staff.

The "Select Favorites" screens ought to have several coloured button ticks:
    Add/Remove channel to package
    Add/Remmove channel on EPG guide
    Must / don't require pin for channel
    Add/remove as favorite.

It is only "Marketing" deceisions, not Technical that there is no menu like this.

The SW can even allow adding to package any time but 1 mnth notice to remove Channel from pay package.

The lack of control on the Channels / EPG is discracefull. The pin on Age, if broadcaster bothers to transmit the age rating is not enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

Unfortunitly, Pick n Mix will never happen as most of the population pay up the cash each month and continue viewing reguardless of what channels they watch and what they don't watch.
    A pity isn't it

Advertisement