Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splitter?

Options
  • 20-04-2003 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

Just down visiting a friend in a new house out in the West. The house is one of 2 new houses in the area and they've just got the phonelines in int the last few weeks. As part of this a pole had to be erected for the line.

Being nosey I had a look at this line and it looked awfully like a splitter to me. Can anyone confirm this?

If it is is there anything that can be doen to get a proper line in and also is this legal anymore? The line went in in the last month?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

sorry I cant be much help, but the only way I've known to sort out a splitter problem is to get isdn installed :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

A splitter, as in the boradband sense of the words, filters out different frequencies. I think DAC box is probably the most accurate word for that thing. one line goes in two lines come out, could mean nothing since you only need two wires for your phone lien and the main line liek that could have loads, that said if they where jsut splitting up the wires into pairs why would you need that size of a box iwth its own power supply. I deduce that it has its own power supply by the fact it has an earth wire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

I recognise that picture :)
    yeah.. its the spike 50 years from now.. ( which will be commonly known then as the rusty nail!) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Sorry Boston I may have been using the wrong terminology for this. I meant the box that shares the line capacity between houses reducing the bandwidth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭DSLinAbsentia

Wow! Overhead lines - how quaint!!!

If you want to see what the DSL splitter that €ircon are using looks like you can see it at http://www.excelsus-store.com/searchresults.asp?search=keyword&search_field=description&search_criteria=230T

NOTE: It's the economy version! Quelle supris!

• Advertisement
Advertisement