Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DA 2-dont go there girlfriend!!!

Options
  • 21-04-2003 12:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

it's a sad day when racketeers like yer man from da2 has to screw young bands to make a quick buck. when da 2 started many bands were hopeful that it would be a new venue for the showcasing of dublin's talent.
    what we have is a manager with one thing in mind and one thing only: making easy money. for weeks and weeks people have spent time energy and money on the da 2 battle of the bands. the final was an absolute farce. no judges! where were bmg and sony? 10 euro in to see **** bands win on the basis of how much money theyve brought into the managers pocket.
    a battle of the bands should at least have some sentiment of support for the bands that play in them and their progression on the music scene.
    these type of manipulative tactics may work now but people ive spoken to are beginning to see how we cannot trust these greedy managers.
    i'm not having any more involvement with da2 and i'd recommend that we should put our money into somewhere that actually gives a **** about the people that give them their business.
    well im ringing joe duffy.
    what's your opinion?

eric dolan
    the beautiful(v.sore) losers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭tiggertigger

I remember being similarly disgusted when
    I was in Whelan's years ago for a heat
    of the Bacardi Unplugged thing. There were
    three bands that were in with a shout of winning
    the heat. We were worried because the band
    that we went to support were in a bit of trouble.
    The other two bands were very good and we
    couldn't really complain if they won.
    In the end some ****ty band that no-one even
    considered as a contender won it. It was soooo
    bad. They brought their entire underage fanbase.
    They were oasis without the talent.
    When the guy announced it (from 2FM) he scarpered
    fairly quickly. There was actually booing in Whelan's.
    I've never heard that before or since....
    On the way out he apologised to some of the bands
    at the back, shook their hands and said it wasn't his
    decision (despite the fact that he was on the judging
    panel).
    Money talks. **** walks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭renagade*

In fairness I couldnt say we should have won it. Dollar short played a blinder. Rapture absolutely rocked and played better then Ive ever seen them. Rapture play **** off rcok and roll and do it really well. I thought that PAyload where really great. They where Ska , rock kinda thing and really original. But in all honest The ecsentrics who came third couldnt even play there **** music well.

I cant argue about rapture but the other two choices where ridiculous and anyone who was there would say the same. If Payload, Rapture and Dollar Short had come i the top 3 i would be dissapointed but not shocked. It was just a mockery of music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

is'nt there a band in new york called the rapture??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭sodiumlightbaby

yes there is...any they're very good....think the "Irish " rapture better start looking for a new name or call themselves rapture dc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

To be honest I always think its an extremely bad idea for anyone to have anything to do with battle of the bands for the simple reason being someones reputation always gets brought into question....and I always think that, as in this case, it does nothin but harm to moan about how unfair the judgements are.....simply put if you put yourself up for it you have to be prepared to take whatever judgement is made?
    When Gigsmart tried to do a fair an transparent comp we got nothing but hassle, from that experience Ive learned two things

bands will never take a criticism of comparison

and also

bands never benefit from entering a comp they dont win.

Just my personal opinions here so dont go on a mad one!

All the best
    Trev

• Advertisement

By the way , is Mick still running the place?

If so I reckon there has been a lot of unjustified mud slingin' going on on a few boards not just this one.
    I find Mick very approachable and easy going to deal with and it has been my experience that he'd go out of his way to help people...when all my gear got nicked last year he gave up a thursday night to run a benefit night to recover some of the cost.....I never even met the guy before and he did that....so I dunno people make your own judgements....ultimately you get more respect that way I think??

I wonder if anyone actually spoke to Mick on the night about the decision?

Ok preaching over sooorrreeeeee hahahaa

All the best
    Trev M ( the not so all knowing)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 fat toni

im with you ricky,i myself have had the misfortune of playing at a few of these battle of the bands bollix,and its all about money,bring the biggest crowd get your friends to make the most noise and your on to a winner....its a fu^kin joke..and all these so called promoters ie garageland,debacement and other so called promoters...{dont make me laugh}..see the chance to make a few quid off young bands that just want to play gigs and nine times out of ten it cost these young bands to play the fu^ckin gig....im happy to say myself and my band dont have to play these gigs anymore,these gigs are a means to an end and at the same time it can be very hard for young bands to get gigs if they are unknown....yes its a bitch like so many things in life.keep the chin up and keep pluging but dont fall into the pay to play trap...ps havin done a few gigs with rapture and those boys rock...oldskool......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 fat toni

trev mick was sacked last wendsday...but as far as i know he like jesus may return watch this space...mick is cool but i dont think he ran the night in question..

Hey Im not saying money isnt involved I would like to think I do my bit to ensure bands get a fair deal ...all Im saying is that despite the fact that bands know about the crap that goes on they still go in for these things and then the knives out afterwards....does it not make more sense to go and do something positive about the situation and involve your band in more worthwhile things is all Im saying ...Things your missing , Thumped , Gigsmart, start your own thing, whatever.

I mean its all whinge without substance or people doing anything about it. Its an unpopular truth but sometimes bands are their own worst enemy and dont actually help themselves?
    I sound like a Prick here I know but I really think some bands out there are too busy leaving other bands behind cause they get stuck in...
    Polar, Subtonics, Ginseng, Label, on and on i could go..... I hardly ever see these type of bands whinge but I do see them contribute and progress.....ever wonder why...cause they are good , but good isn't enough they get stuck in and make there own luck , earn their own victories.

Again apologies if Im ranting or sounding up myself.

Cheers Fat Toni . I hope Mick does make a return in some shape or form , I though he was a straight up guy....

all the best
    trev

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

so who IS running da2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭renagade*

Listen Trev you know our band and we dont **** around. I dont winge about jack **** and i definitely am not a person for slagging other bands. In this battle of the bands however it was just a joke an insulting joke not only to my band but Payload and Dollar Short.

we where told that Sony and BMG where going to judge and then we where told they werent going to be their and that they where watching live on the "web cam" which is just a bare faced lie. The truth is that the new manager was judging it and he wasnt even watching the bands as he was taking the ten euro off the people coming in. Thats right 10 euro. So absically we had a battle of teh bands that was a rip off and judged on revenue at the door.
    When this kind of thoing happens you can either stand up and say that is bull**** or you can pussy foot around it. we chosse to speak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

after hearing that i feel a boycott is in order!

power to the people!

Originally posted by renagade*
    Listen Trev you know our band and we dont **** around. I dont winge about jack **** and i definitely am not a person for slagging other bands. In this battle of the bands however it was just a joke an insulting joke not only to my band but Payload and Dollar Short.

Perhaps I might of made it more clear my post was in general and not directed at the Beautiful Losers soley. Point is this, bands know practically every battle of the bands go down this way that's all Im saying, and sometimes you will come out worse off for ranting about it , I expect you guys will as I said before make valuable contributions to the scene in general, all in all its actions rather than words that change things.

all the best - Trev

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭palmic

hi all mick hear ,i heard all about the other night i couldent attend cause i no longerwork for da2 as of thur 9th,the record companies who were to judge the compeition ,conor brooks from (lakota) and ray harmin were doing the judgeing for me as a favor,when they heard i was no longer employed with da2 they pulled out i passed on this information to da2 on the morning of the show...i wish i could have been there but it was not to be....ill see you all in myself and glens new venue opening in 3 weeks time...good luck da2 all the best ,it was the best of times and the worst of times.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Morello

Originally posted by palmic
    hi all mick hear ,i heard all about the other night i couldent attend cause i no longerwork for da2 as of thur 9th,the record companies who were to judge the compeition ,conor brooks from (lakota) and ray harmin were doing the judgeing for me as a favor,when they heard i was no longer employed with da2 they pulled out i passed on this information to da2 on the morning of the show...i wish i could have been there but it was not to be....ill see you all in myself and glens new venue opening in 3 weeks time...good luck da2 all the best ,it was the best of times and the worst of times.......

Hi Mick, what about this new Venue...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭palmic

all i can say its in temple bar,its not dorans it will hold 400 to 500 were going to open the gigs up in 3 weeks , and run for about 2 months as is then we will be closing for a week to absoultey gut the place.the owners are putting in a hell of money in to turning the club in to a music venue to rival whelans im dead excited about it...its got a lisence till 4 in the moring so we will doing late and early gigs for all the bands who were in the comp im sorry about the record companies not beening there but ill contact yous all and well do a showcase with yous all in front of them thats a promise...i put a lot in to da2 and was shocked as anyone that we had a falling out but good luck to them talk soon mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Morello

Originally posted by palmic
    all i can say its in temple bar,its not dorans it will hold 400 to 500 were going to open the gigs up in 3 weeks , and run for about 2 months as is then we will be closing for a week to absoultey gut the place.the owners are putting in a hell of money in to turning the club in to a music venue to rival whelans im dead excited about it...its got a lisence till 4 in the moring so we will doing late and early gigs for all the bands who were in the comp im sorry about the record companies not beening there but ill contact yous all and well do a showcase with yous all in front of them thats a promise...i put a lot in to da2 and was shocked as anyone that we had a falling out but good luck to them talk soon mick

Hey this is really cool, fair play to you guys. Just sent you an email

Take care, A.

Advertisement