Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quaratine

Options
  • 21-04-2003 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭

Anyone know any ways to get around the strict quarantine laws for Ireland ? Have a friend that wants to bring in a family pet from Columbia but doesn't want to leave the pooch stew in a kennel for six months.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I thought that was scrapped and you get pet passports or something? I know it was in the UK but i thought it was the same here...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You can get him chipped (this works for EU countries, but I'm not sure about outside) and bring him into the UK(where the chips are recognised), from whence you can transport him to Ireland(where the chips are not recognised, but there is no quarantine on animals coming from the UK).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

There isnt actually any way around Quarantine here in Ireland.Its 6 months from everywhere.Its a cruel and outdated practice and the original reason was to keep rabies out of Ireland.But with all the new anti rabies drugs around and a decent screening programme there is no reason for it to continue here.
    For example a bat could in theory fly from Europe carrying rabies to Ireland but no the government decides it would be better to stop pet loving people from bringing their pets home if they decided to return home.I was looking to buy a rare enough dog from a breeder in Germany(Alaskan Malamute)and it would have been 6 month quarantine for an 8 week old pup.
    I havent got the figures right now but its surprising how many dogs die in quarantine every year.
    A friend of mine is currently working in the US and has a Newfoundland which he will have to give up when he comes home.
    There is a petition somewhere trying to update these laws in line with the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

surely there is some other way around this.
    My parents have a golden retriever. They are talking about buying a holiday home in spain where they want to stay 2/3 months at a time but only if they can bring the dog. The Vet said he could take some medication for 6 months before he travels but just to book the flights far in advance as they will have to accomodate him in the cargo hold. That's the one part I couldn't bear. He'd be so frightened, not knowing what's going on, all alone, and it's probably dark and cold too.

Anyone heard of this way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

i dont know, i know my mum is able to bring our dogs over and back to england no problem when she's mating them, and i know one of our pup's went to spain too and i didn't hear of the dog being in quarantine. yeah, they have to travel in the cargo section, i don't think i could do it to my own dog, even though my mum's done it to her

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

There is one way around the quarrantine issues if you can bring dogs into the uk, fly into the north! & drive down! easy! I was told to do that if I wanted Fruit bats & other exotics! Britian is involved in the balai directive which allows the import/export of certain animals around europe.

Faye:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jannemi

Hi there

Actually there is a way to bring your dog to Ireland without quarantine.
    But I have to warn, that is long and expensive process.
    As you might know, there is pet scheme in Britain, that allows to bring the dog there without quarantine. And after, that is done you can bring the dog in Ireland without quarantine. ( I just did bring my own dog from Finland )
    I checked this with irish government and as far as the dog is accepted to UK, you can bring it Ireland without quarantine.
    Using any other route, dog has to go to quarantine. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Also you have to be carefull, cos the countries are categorized.
    But basicly the process is as follows.

1. Get the dog microchipped
    2. Renew all vaccinations
    3. Wait one month and bring the dog to the vet for blood tests
    ( laboratory where the blood is been processed has to be acceptted by DEFRA )
    4. Wait 6 months, that the results are cleared. Also dog needs official papers from the vet, and those papers has to be in DEFRA's own forms.
    5. Then there is Tapeworm and Tick treatment, that has to be taken between 24-48 hours before the journey starts.

Be careful, when you are organizing everything. DOUBLE CHECK and DOUBLE CHECK again.......

I will include the link from DEFRA's official page, so you can check it yourself....

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm

Good luck,
    Janne

Advertisement