Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If its not "Eire" why does it say so on the stamps?

Options
  • 21-04-2003 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

I was listening to a feature on regional accents
    on BBC Radio 4 this morning and I heard one chap say
    "Eire" when he meant Republic of Ireland, and as I usually do when I hear that word used by a British
    accent, I coughed and went "ahem!" (like he could hear me! :D ) Then I got thinking well it says "Eire" on every stamp so no wonder there's a certain confusion. Why do the stamps say Eire?

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Aticle 4 of the constitution::
    The name of the State is Éire, or in the English language, Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No doubt someone will correct me on this, but afaik, Éire was previously used as a derogatory term for Ireland, before the constitution was brought into effect, because it was what the rebels and the Free State wanted the whole country to be called, but the British wouldn't allow it, so a British person referring to the Free State as 'Éire' was supposedly sarcastic and piss-taking.

But this is a sketchy recollection from 2nd year history class so I could be waaay off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Jake303

Personally I prefere the name Eire! and often use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by mike65
    Then I got thinking well it says "Eire" on every stamp so no wonder there's a certain confusion. Why do the stamps say Eire?
    Because they are in Irish. Saying "Éire" when you're speaking in English is just plain wrong. You don't talk about your holidays in "España" or "Kyπρω" or your car from "Deutschland", do you?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

wasn't saying that I agree with it... Just thats what it says in the constitution.

I think we were at the brits for years before independence to call it Éire and that Ireland wasn't the proper name.

Then when we started calling it Ireland they started calling it Éire just to take a dig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Originally posted by Meh
    "Éire" when you're speaking in English is just plain wrong.

Actually I'd completely disagree.

For an English person to know 'enough' about the place to refer to Ireland as Éire I think demonstrates a willingness to recognise Ireland as a seperate entity, with a distinct language to match.

Sometimes you get really rabid pro-Unionists refereing to the 26 counties as the Free State, so I think an English person calling Ireland Éire as opposed to the Republic or the Free State is akin to an Irish person making the effort to correctly denote Westminster ruled territories as the UK, instead of saying 'England' (incorrect) or (Britain) also incorrect.

Call it an effort to be PC and sensitive to Irish identity somewhat, at least that's how I'd see such use of the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

...because Éire is short enough to fit on the stamps!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The last Constitution Working Group highlighted this problem. They suggested changing the English text to "the name of the State is Ireland" and the Irish text to "Eire is aimn den Stat"* When using the English language, you call it "Ireland". When using the Irish language you call it "Eire".

Some chap on the BBC using the word "Eire" to refer to the country makes as much sense as my using the word "Nippon" to refer to Japan or "Kalallit Nunaat" to refer to Greenland. Actually it makes less sense as our constitution gives specific information on what to call the country when speaking English.

Britons using "Eire" to refer to the country has far more to do with an semi-official decision on the part of the UK government to refer to the State as such to distinguish it from Northern Ireland and a little bit of a misunderstanding due to a poorly drafted article than anything else. One letter to deValera as President of Ireland in the mid-sixties appointing an ambassador to the state of Eire was returned to Canberra (via London obviously - ambassador appointed by the queen) on the grounds that the state of Eire didn't exist unless the letter was in Irish. This is the precedent that any government decision might well follow. You might regard it as silly but they didn't get the name of the country right.

There was a funny discussion just before the opening ceremony of the 1948 Olympics about the name of our fair corrupt state. The British Olympic COmmittee had ordered a sign for Ireland that read "Eire" as the name of the country in English. Obviously the name of the country isn't Eire in English (whether you like using the name or not it clearly isn't Eire in English). It's probably detailed on the web somewhere - have a look as it's too long for me to type.

So why do the stamps say "Eire"? Well obviously Irish is the first official language of the State and we'll all be speaking nothing else when that language revival comes along. Why should we name our country on our stamps using the second official language? Even the Swiss don't bother (though they'd certainly run our of room). Could have adopted the British system and just not bothered.

*grammar probably incorrect but you get my drift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

My "Car Mechanics" magazine from England arrives safely here in Cork every month, and it is addessed to "Eire".

On another tack, my rebel-girl wife never uses "Northern Ireland" when she writes to relatives in Belfast, Derry or Crossmaglen: she always uses "Co. Antrim", "Co. Down", Co. Derry or "Co. Armagh" (with the Northern Ireland postal code, of course.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Originally posted by Typedef

Sometimes you get really rabid pro-Unionists refereing to the 26 counties as the Free State,

I think you'll find that's a term used more often by Republicans. Or Nationalists. The thinking being that the real republic should comprise the entire country and so that term may not be used by the interim puppet state ruled from Dublin. So the Free State became the term used to differentiate the '26 counties' as an entity from the 'occupied six counties'

Unionists are only too happy to refer to the Republic as a separate alien entity whose existence they recognise as long as its claim over their territory is refuted.

As the man said: 'Phrases make history here'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Being an english chap, and having lived in England for quite a few years, I can tell you that a lot of people use the words 'Ireland' and 'Eire' interchangably and I don't believe I've ever heard it used in a derogatory fashion.

Among a lot of english people, there is a funny sort of guilt about Ireland (as well as a lot of the rest of the world :)), and I think the term is more used out of a sense of that guilt than any 'sarcastic and piss-taking' sense. I think you might be being a little harsh on them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

If it was up to me, I'd change the consitution to make Éire the name used in both the English and Irish language. It's the true name of the country after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Looking at some stamps (the bird series) in my wallet it says "ÉIRE, 41c, Rí rua, Chaffinch, Fringella coelebs". So the Stamp is in Irish. And Romans won't start addressing post as Dublinia, Hibernia or similar will they?
    Originally posted by Hairy Homer
    I think you'll find that's a term used more often by Republicans. Or Nationalists.
    Actually it's very much a very republican (of the FF variety) usage, often used with "blue shirt" and similar terms to offend FG members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭sanvean

Originally posted by Hairy Homer
    The thinking being that the real republic should comprise the entire country and so that term may not be used by the interim puppet state ruled from Dublin.

but where would they have the republic ruled from when (as gerry adams said) it inevitably becomes united? surely it will still be in dublin, and (depressingly) will still have a fianna fail majority ... sigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I've really never understood the scowls it gets when you call Ireland "Eire". I just put it down to a particularly misplaced bit of armchair republican bitterness.

If someone asked me where I was last week and I said "Yeah I had to go over to deutschland on a business trip" it might sound a little odd, but I somehow doubt some passing stocky chap in a pair of lederhosen would start giving me dirty looks for it...

Originally posted by Shinji
    I've really never understood the scowls it gets when you call Ireland "Eire". I just put it down to a particularly misplaced bit of armchair republican bitterness.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but it often appears to be used to make the point that the (usually) English person, doesn't want to say "Ireland".

From Ireland, would you address a letter:

H. Lepsius,
    Berliner Strasse 23,
    Cologne,
    5XXXX,
    Germany. [Right, but awkward for DeutschePost]

or

H. Lepsius,
    Berliner Strasse 23,
    Köln,
    5XXXX,
    Deutschland. [Right, but awkward for An Post]

or

H. Lepsius,
    Berliner Strasse 23,
    Cologne,
    5XXXX,
    Deutschland. [Wrong, awkward for An Post and DeutschePost]

or

H. Lepsius,
    Berliner Strasse 23,
    Köln,
    5XXXX,
    Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jesus Victor, I'd just e-mail him! :P

Mike.

Of course, official Ireland tends to recognise "Great Britain", not the UK. http://www.gov.ie/iveagh/images/buttons/navlist6_2b.gif

http://www.gov.ie/iveagh/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Eire refers to the 32 counties of the Island of Ireland and not just the 26.

therefore The BBC 4 announcer was wrong to refer to The Republic of Ireland as Eire.

Its not like they go around saying Northern Eire now is it, which of course would be wrong as it is Tusceart Na Eireann (litir?).

And yes it is a dig at the Republic.

I have always wondered why each individual lanuage puts different names on the same country. Why not use the orginal lanuage?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Hold your horses gaffer.

How many English people (a) know enough or (b) know enough to find out that Éire is a dig at the Republic even if one accepts the term as such (which I don't)? I'd say most English when they use the term Éire are trying to be sensitive to the Irish national desire for recognition as a seperate entity with a seperate language and have predicated in their brains that it would be a show of understanding to use the term Éire instead of saying Ireland (ambigious) or the Republic (not ambiguous enough).

Hold your horses gaffer.

How many English people (a) know enough or (b) know enough to find out that Éire is a dig at the Republic even if one accepts the term as such (which I don't)? I'd say most English when they use the term Éire are trying to be sensitive to the Irish national desire for recognition as a seperate entity with a seperate language and have predicated in their brains that it would be a show of understanding to use the term Éire instead of saying Ireland (ambigious) or the Republic (not ambiguous enough).

Oh thats funny LOL Oh my god, English who give a ****.

Originally posted by Lennoxschips
    If it was up to me, I'd change the consitution to make Éire the name used in both the English and Irish language. It's the true name of the country after all!

I second that motion!
    Much prefere Eire, as I stated earlier.

I read an article some time back, think it was in one of those horrible tabloids stating that Irish people should now call the country Ireland and that we should have outgrown the term "Eire" by now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

I'd say most English when they use the term Éire are trying to be sensitive to the Irish national desire for recognition as a seperate entity with a seperate language and have predicated in their brains that it would be a show of understanding to use the term Éire instead of saying Ireland (ambigious) or the Republic (not ambiguous enough).
    I would say that you are naive in that opinion and I would contend that when most British ppl would refer to the Republic of Ireland as Éire out of a sense of not having a clue as opposed to some sort of recognition. It is not an English word. For instance I have yet to hear an English, Scotish, Welsh or Irish man refer to France as Francais, Russia as it's cyrillac derevation or China as it's Mandarin derevation in serious conversation. Éire is a Gaelic word. Having said that I have no objection or nationalistic feelings towards what any person from the Commonwealth of Great Briton and Northern Ireland prefers to call my Country. As long as they are respectful of it.

Sometimes you get really rabid pro-Unionists refereing to the 26 counties as the Free State, so I think an English person calling Ireland Éire as opposed to the Republic or the Free State is akin to an Irish person making the effort to correctly denote Westminster ruled territories as the UK, instead of saying 'England' (incorrect) or (Britain) also incorrect.

I point blank refuse to call Britain the UK as I dont see anything united about.
    I take the meaning of united in this context to mean that all the people are willing members of this union of the "United Kingdom" of which they of course are not!

Therefor I cant really complain if British people use different terms for Eire, ooops sorry.....Rep of Ireland, nope sorry right first time its Eire?

I point blank refuse to call Britain the UK as I dont see anything united about.

The UK = Britain and Northern Ireland.

When you refer to Britain do you refer to Northern Ireland as well because if you do your wrong as Britain is not Northern Ireland.

I refuse to call Britain, Great Britain. As I don't think any country is all that great especial a country that puts the word great in front of its own country.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Elmo
    I refuse to call Britain, Great Britain. As I don't think any country is all that great especial a country that puts the word great in front of its own country.
    Refers to size, not a sexy experience. It's a historical thing. Google for it.
    Originally posted by Jake303I point blank refuse to call Britain the UK as I dont see anything united about.
    I take the meaning of united in this context to mean that all the people are willing members of this union of the "United Kingdom" of which they of course are not!
    It's been the official name of the country since 1707 (with "and Ireland" added in 1801 & changed a bit in 1922). If you're not willing to call a country by it's rightful legal name you're not entitled to the indignant moral ground when they do likewise (which you point out yourself). The word "united" referred to the two kingdoms being united under one monarch and parliament & wasn't meant to imply that absolutely everyone was happy about it. What do you call the country between Mexico and Canada? (just "America" would be incorrect & there are enough wannabe secessionists to bar you from using the word "united" there too)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Originally posted by Elmo
    Oh thats funny LOL Oh my god, English who give a ****.

Elmo, I absolutely agree with Typedef, and I also feel that you might be best served by actually meeting/talking to some english people. Your ignorance hurts me :(

BTW I would also consider Republic of Ireland a no-no, the name is Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I agree with Tyedef. Very few British would know enough about Irish history to point out little nuances like that. Very few Irish people would know it either. As far as most of the Irish population are concerned, Éire is the name of the country in Irish.

The only two ways I've seen digs taken by rabid Uniionists is by calling the Republic 'The Free State', or by referring to the entire area as 'The British Isles'. The latter really annoys me.....

Advertisement