Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mafia = WOW

• 21-04-2003 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Ok the game is excellent, and storyline.

But when I got into the free mode and extreme freemode the game is just fantastic. I drove out to the dam and the scale is breathtaking.

I think this is the closest I've seen to a real live city sim.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I dunno, it could have been amazing, but I got stuck at some point and gave up.

To be honest, I was hoping for a 1920's GTA, but it was just different enough for it not to be as fun. Even if the controls were the same it would have been better (the camera position's were gawd-awful).

Maybe I'll pick it up again in a few months and think it's the best game ever, but for now I've had enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,540 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I agree....

The car bits were totally boring (speed limits.... ugh!), while the on-foot bits made up for it. I gave up about three quarters way through the game - got bored, to be honest.

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

Yes I agree totaly. The game is fantastic and it is really hard for me to feel in a game but it accomplished that for. the atmosphere is great and the authentic music is pretty sweet too. I managed to finish the story game but I wipped my pc after that and never got into the extreme free ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Ah, one of the very few games that I felt compelled to complete. That's saying a lot, considering I haven't even finished Half-Life yet.

The scale of the city is incredible. Even after playing the game everyday for almost 3 weeks, I still found new back-alleys to chase down. I admit to nearly giving up on the game during the race level but after a few hours, I got the hang of it.

Actually, Hobbes, the free ride extreme levels were what put me off in the end. I wanted to keep playing it but they were rock hard and the game kept crashing at specific points on some levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

I loved this game too but it wasn't without its faults. Still I felt the storyline and fights made up for the bugs and boring car bits. One of my all time favourate games hope they make a sequel. Also I'm glad they didn't try and make a GTA clone but went their own way granted it didn't exactly work out with the cars. If they'd just made GTA with 1920 skins then that would have been boring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

I thought it was pretty good but like most I gave up after a while (I think I gave up on the mission where you had to sneak into the mansion, the game just wasn't designed for stealth and it didn't really work well so after a few failed attempts I gave up). It was also hard to get running properly, on my p4 1.8 geforce 4 is was fine during the day time scenes but it was incredibly jerky at night which made a lot of missions close to unplayable. It was great while it lasted though and definitly deserves a sequel. In saying that though I doubt we'll see a sequel for a long time, I mean it's made by the same guys who made Hidden and Dangerous, look how long the sequel for that is taking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I thought it was rather fantastic too. Like most of the game, the Mansion mission could be played whatever way you wanted. I for one killed everyone, no sneaking for me. The Devs even put in seperate speech for that outcome as when the Politician comes back with his bodyguards they shout "jesus, someones killed all the guards!".

The fact that it wasnt a GTA clone was a major plus for me. GTA is good and all, but the GTA franchise already has the market cornered with self replicating clones.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

I thought that it was truly beautiful in parts. Played all the way through and loved it. Fantastic story and excellent characters.

The free ride extreme actually spoiled it a bit for me and I wish I hadn't gone near it. It broke the very carefully constructed atmosphere of realism in the main game itself and felt like a sop to those wanting a 1920's GTA, which it almost certainly was.

I loved GTA too but this was a completely different type of game and they fact that they were released so close together was a real shame for the Mafia guys. I mean, no one ever tried to compare OpF and GTA (driving AND shooting), why Mafia and GTA?

Actually, I'd love to have another look at it with my new Radeon 9500 Pro. When I was playing it before I really thought that AA would improve the look of the game significiantly. The 3 CD install is putting me off a bit though...

K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I played through it and it was GREAT !!! i was GLAD it wasnt just a GTA 3 clone, jeez, i was over the moon it wasnt in fact, it was super origiinal and i really liked the speed limit thing - i.e u CAN go over it but will get pulled over and fined.....i also liked the way the police were more strict and would pull you over for dangerous driving...

as for the racing lvl....hardest lvl ever ? i think so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

yeah, get REALLY boring, bit too samey in places, only bit i really liked was chasing that flamming mexican dude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Its a great game, can be hard at times but you can always get it.
    I love the way its differant to GTA. the speed limits and red lights etc. make it harder cos you gotta loose the tail while trying not to get cops on your ass .. takes still :)

Also, i find it a lot less buggy then GTA3. My god was GTA buggy on the PC ... Mafa runs fine for me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I loved it up to Mission 15 (I think), the one where you have to chase the mafia boss to the docks and stay on his tail. The other bloody drivers are lunatics...on second thoughts, its just like driving in Dublin...

Gave up after about 40 attempts.

Closest I got was around the corner from the warehouse, crashed into a phone box and when I managed to get going again, I'd lost the other car. D'oh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

All you have to do is chase them to the docks. You don't have to ram them or attack them, just keep up with them. The next mission involves sneaking into the docks.

Another thing I have noticed there are alternate endings for some of the missions with different cut scenes.

The only one that springs to mind is where you are chasing morello to the airport. If you manage to keep up with him and stop him going into the airport you start chasing him through the countryside and there is a different cutscene near a bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

sorry for topping old posts but i only bought this yesterday, ive been meaning to buy it for so long and finally got round to it while i was in smyths!

bloody sat up till past 4 am playing it though, on the mission with the farmhouse bit with the canadian booze at the moment, i havent read parts of this thread as i dont want to know what happens though :p

the start almost put me off with the taxi etc and speedlimits but i must admit i got really into it last night and eventually had to almost forceibly(sp?) knock myself away from the computer so i could get some sleep for work

its hard to get back in those slow cars though after youve raced with that little european racing car i thought, just felt so sluggish! and the cops always pulling me over for speeding. Just use speedlimiter to much in the end up now as its not like GTA where the cop cars kind of stand out, they just pop up like any other cars and your getting fined etc..

anyway great game from what ive played of it so far, it gets my thumbs up!

pity as i followed this game for so long before its release, then when it finally did come it took me over a year to actually buy it..

oh well, thems the breaks eh, and sorry for post toppage! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

what about the ****in race car bits!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

i got stuck at the racing car bit and just gave up could never win the blimmin race, but tis damn good i heard a rumour that mafia 2 is in the way

shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Originally posted by shinzon
    i got stuck at the racing car bit and just gave up could never win the blimmin race, but tis damn good i heard a rumour that mafia 2 is in the way

shin

I also gave up then but found out theres a cheat to win
    you are a mafia dude so use your umm mafia skills smashie smashie :)

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Originally posted by thomasmckinless
    what about the ****in race car bits!!!

For the race level i got the level saves off the net, just found the ones for the hard levels and plonked them in:D

Did that for the car park level aswell, the one were yur go 2 buy the whiskey. rock hard that one:mad:

multyplay would be great or even a MMOG would get my money

i done the race car bit (your talking about the race where you screw up the european guys car yeh?) on the 2nd attempt, what was so hard about it ?

woulda won first time had i not try to take the hairpin turn so fast and ended up flippin over on the 3rd lap.

won by 10 seconds in total if i remember rightly.

or else your talking about another race?

the rooftops level had me for ages though, took about 40 minutes to an hour to finally get through it, although liked the church bit afterwards and the getaway (although the way i got away was pure fluke..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Nope thats the one i was stuck on, found driving a bit hard at high speed. Until i realised you could take most of the others out at the 1st corner with some nasty driving.
    But was about 30 goes before i figured that out.

kdjac

• Advertisement

Originally posted by bus77
    For the race level i got the level saves off the net, just found the ones for the hard levels and plonked them in:D

its so much more satisfying when you manage to do it yourself though!

you filthy cheat! :p

Originally posted by KdjaC
    Nope thats the one i was stuck on, found driving a bit hard at high speed. Until i realised you could take most of the others out at the 1st corner with some nasty driving.
    But was about 30 goes before i figured that out.

kdjac

I dont know why but i so much more preferred using w,a,s,d for steering the car(s) aswell. Dont know if that was the reason behind it as i found it difficult to use arrow keys (probably after playing fps games for all these years) which helped me control the cars alot better. (or atleast in my mind it did anyway)

must say im looking forward to getting back and playing it again tonight though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

The trick for the racing level is not to go crazy and speed it around, you only screw up that way. All you have to do is take it slow and steady neddy. Slow and steady wins the race. I got it in like the 5th go. The car park level was the one that gave me the most trouble tbh.

completed it at the weekend, was kinda gutted after spending a good few late nights sitting up playing it.

the missions were mostly all great and the feel to the game was also great (i especially liked riding around to the 30's music which gives it that 'feel' if you know what i mean)

definately a game i could recommend to anyone, even got my brother into it who sat up for almost 2 nights getting minimal sleep playing it :p

did anyone actually do the free ride parts etc? i started to do the extreme one for the extra cars and started the bomb mission but got kind of fed up :(

was a sad ending aswell.

anyway gets my thumbs up for anyone tempted to buy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

I thought the game was excellent, I actually wanted to complete the game as most games i forget the single player and go for mp (i no this only has single player but was fantastique). The story, atmosphere made it like a movie and dialogue was very realisitic. Much better than the like of Half Life which i never bothered to finish as it got boring and was waaay to long. It also ran perfectly on 30fps on my PC which is a Athlon 1.2Ghz and an ancient Radeon 32MB SDR GFX card.

Advertisement