Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone calls over boardband

Options
  • 21-04-2003 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

Hey lads I've had a search over the forum and I can't seem to find any information about making phone calls over broadband. Is it possible to call a land line from my laptop by using broadband? Are there any products or services that allow you to make internation calls from your computer? I'm asking this because I'm in Boston at the moment and it seeing as we have broadband in our flat we'd get great use out of it if we were able to call home over our dsl line. We don't don't have a fixed ip address I'm not sure if this goes against us or not but I've head it discussed before in relation to phone calls over the net. Anyway thanks in advance for any info ye have.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

http://www.net2phone.com/
    That crowd do it but im not sure how good they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

AFAIK Microsoft's 'Instant Messenger' does this.
    I recall trying it out couple of years ago when it was free (you could call anywhere in the US & Canada for nothing !) and it was pretty good. I daresay it's improved a lot since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

You could also try Vonage.

http://www.vonage.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Balmark

Unfortunately its not free anymore .. (used to be on alot of the sites ;) ) I've used PCPhone for calls to New Zealand.. 1 cent a min or so .. there's a slight delay .. but its useable ..
    Rings a landline from your pc.

http://www.iconnecthere.com

(On another note .. there are also people that'll do it from landline to landline .. add a prefix number to dial out .. I'm also setup with one of these .. works out 8cent a min to New Zealand .. mainly because my gf doesnt like using my headset to talk .. feels more comfortable with a phone ;) )

/Bal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Heres a theory, dunno if it'll work or not.

Setup a free account with budget telecom. You can ring their 1550 number and charge up your account. Sort of like a prepaid mobile phone.....nothing new here...so far!

Got to a pay phone and enter the code to forward calls. Forward its calls to the 1550 number.

Ring up the pay phone from another payphone. Just an idea. Dunno if it'll work or even if you can forward calls to a 1550 number.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭DSLinAbsentia

Microsnot's Netmeeting will allow peer-to-peer IP based phone calls. You'll need to know your recipients IP/DNS details but it'll work really well over DSL. I believe AOL AIM will also allow this.

Personally, I prefer the direct connect approach - it's not as "monitored" as server-routed methods.

Advertisement