Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird Noises?

• 22-04-2003 1:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

Hi not extactly sure how to put this but sometimes for no reason my computer doesn't sound normal i.e the sound i here from isn't the normal sound it produces when everything is running smoothly, or one minute the sound from the computer can suddenly change even though i am doing nothing different on the computer, perhaps shuddering a bit a bit or something, sorry i can't be more specific but i just wonder sometimes if a part is about to go and if so what is it? The hard drive perhaps?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Failing Hard Drives often have a very distinctive 'clicking' sound but I wouldn't jump straight at your HDD. (To test it copy a few big files while doing nothing else ... then see if the noise is Hard Drive related.

Another strong possibility is an ageing cooling fan. CPU and especially Graphics Card cooling fans deteriorate (dust, flattening bearings, bent spindles, etc) as they age often causing more noise. Just don't touch the blades/spindles as this can cause damage.

There is also the possibility that the Fans In your PSU might be causing it.

If I were you I'd open the side of the PC, boot it up and just listen. Pretty quickly you'll get an idea of where the noise is from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

My computer tends to make funny noises every now and then but I found that it was just a loose drive bay cover. Nothing more serious than that.
    If you're running a gateway 2K then it could very well be that.
    Just touch the drive bay covers when it starts making noise and if it stops then that's you're culprit. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

it can only be a few things in the computer
    hdd
    floppy
    cd rom
    or fans/psu
    nothing else can make strange noises ( sound card not included its ment to do that )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

thanks for the response folks, i know it ain't the graphics card anywho as it ain't got a cooling fan, i do have a blower in the back but i don't think its that to be honest, nor do i think its the floppy or cd drives, i'd go with the cooling fan, psu or hdd.

Raz by drive bays do you mean the empty front slots for cd drives and the likes? if so i've no spare ones of those.

i'll do an few large file copies and let you's know how i get on, not in the humour of opening the case :)

cheers

data

Advertisement