Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Web space (greater than 30mb?)

Options
  • 22-04-2003 1:38am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I want to upload mp3s to a site where others can download them...i.e. to allow people to get them without having to login...or even just a place to store them.

I've been looking on the web but most places want money...anyone know of good free web space providers?

Signed up with evilzz.com ...100mb of space...but upload limit is 2mb..so thats not much good for mp3s.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

geocities filesize limit is 5mb & you get 20 mb webspace... that's pretty much the best you're going to get without paying for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭FreeHost

Yes, your always going to run into data transfer limits, many hosts like fast efficient running of sites on their servers which is one of the reasons why they restrict the amount of data transfer.

Why not spread your MP3's over a few sites, for example, get a few of your friends to signup for a free eircom account, spread the MP3's over these accounts and have the download links from one central site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Regardless, if your mp3's are copies of commercially available songs, you'll get shut down within 48 hours, whether you're using free or paid hosting.

Good point Cor,

You must own or have copyright permission to distribute music. I have had experience with Irish Bands, many of the upcoming artists will give you permission to post there music, just to get known (sending them an email should do it), however, if your thinking of putting your CD collection online, then you could be trouble with copyright infringement.

Even some of the spin-offs of napster like bearshare etc., which are basically file sharing programmes are in a grey area of copyright infringement.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Thanks for the replies. I'll take a look at Geocities so. The mp3s that I want to upload are my own originals...I'm want to allow others to access them.

How do you have them on many accounts and the downloads be from a central site?

• Advertisement

How do you have them on many accounts and the downloads be from a central site?

If you create a webpage with a bit of info about the band on lets say on a Geocities site, make the name of each song a link e.g

my song 1
    my song 2
    etc.

The link for "my song 1" could look something like
    <a href="http://homepage.eircom.net/~accountname/mysong1.mp3">my song 1 </a>

By the way, this is a rough and ready solution, the best way to do it is to find a host with a streaming media software on their server, that way people could listen to sample tracks without having to download the lot.

I was thinking about setting up a Darwin Streaming Media Server a while ago for just this sort of thing but the demand wasn't there. I'm sure one of the other hosts who visit this board supply this service.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Bandwidth costs money, so not many people are going to let you put up popular mp3s for very long, as you'll be costing them money.

You could spread them across a number of free sites, but the download times may be pretty awful.

How many mp3s are you talking about and how big are they?

Another option to save on bandwidth would be to convert them to realplayer format, which generally uses less space, though the quality may suffer a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭happydude13

i believe there are various websites such as mp3.com cluas.com
    <lazy> do a google search </lazy>

where you can upload your mp3s

for others to download.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I was going to put up about 25 mp3s. Set up a Geocities account but it likes to time out alot. Will try that linking to other accounts approach.

Thanks.

<upyours>happydude13</upyours>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

I host a pretty big site, hiphopgame.com he supplys are lot of music there on the site, he has rights to it however, not sure what rights but he is a registered company and stuff and I never had any complaints about him.

But as for hosting ilegal mp3s yeah you will be shut down right away, unless your hosted on a offshore datacentre we lack rules, say south africa or somthing.

Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Originally posted by tom-thebox
    say south africa or somthing.

Regards

I don't think South Africa would be too happy to hear that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Originally posted by blacknight
    I don't think South Africa would be too happy to hear that :D

As far as I know there is very little if not any cyber law in south africa at the moment, I can look it up for you if you like nighty.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

Do eircom.net allow hosting of mp3's - has anyone ever had problem with eircom.net hosted files - such as pictures etc exceeding bandwidth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement