Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pc upgrade.. New pc..

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

what about this one?? just wondering... and dataisgod.. what do u mean by the kryo2 will limit my pcs performance how so.. in what way?

Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz Boxed PC400- Socket PGA478, 512kB
    € 206.89

Asus P4S533-X mainboard S478/P-4, LAN
    SIS645DX, ATA/133, ATT, SD & DDR-Ram

EUR 83.84 inc. VAT

Crucial PC2100 DDR-DIMM 512MB CL2.5
    Unbuffered, Non-parity, 2.5V, 64Meg x 64

EUR 89.06 inc. VAT

Neolec Northstar 478
    Neolec Northstar for Socket 478 (Pentium 4 only)
    up to 2.5Ghz

Euro 19.00 incl. VAT 21%

ATX Midi-Tower 300W
    300W power supply (ATX 2.03 P4 ready)
    4x 5.25" external bays
    1x 3.5" external bay
    3x 3.5" internal bays (1x hidden for floppy)
    2x front USB, micro + headset in front
    power cable and screws incl.
    Dimensions: 182 x 420 x 450mm (W x H x L)

Euro 59.00 incl. VAT 21%

What does that sound like?.. now if I got all that is that everything needed to make a pc?? Do I neven need that Neolec fan thing? and what about a fan for the PSU does that come with it? or is that what the Neolec thing is..

Anyways if so my new pc would look something like this

P4 2.4Ghz
    512Ram
    Kyro2 64mb 32bit card
    13gb HDD

Does that sound like a good rig for

€465's?
    not including shipping from komplett + that case is from Marx Computers i figure some day im in dublin ill just go in and pick it up.

So what does that look like?
    Would it be better to go with the one kmb sugested the AMD set up, but surely that 1.8Ghz will be out dated faster then the 2.4GHz and I will be looking to upgrade again earlier then that of the p4 2.4GHz one?

Thanks again.

-Coz

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

Try here for your case ,they're cheap and deliver country wide

http://www.munstercomputers.com

Macker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

well arden when you put together your new p.c its going to be fairly decent, however if your planning on using it as a gaming machine your games performance will be limited by the kryo graphics card as it will be one of the slowest parts of your system, you would see quite a performance gain i would imagine using a newer faster graphics card such as a geforce 4 ti4200 or a radeon 9500 or so.

can't comment much on your system though i don't know much about pentium 4 motherboards or anything don't be put off though by the slower clock speed of an amd processor its actually name gives an indicative peformance compared to a pentium 4, for example an xp 2400+ gives similar performance to a 2400Mhz pentium 4 even though the xp 2400+ doesn't run at 2400Mhz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Originally posted by Dataisgod

However if you have a motherboard with onboard graphics you can still install a graphics card which then thanks precedence over the chip (by some means i know not how).

EEK, be careful here. Most motherboards I have came across that have onboard graphics don't have an AGP slot. So you can only use alternate graphics cards if their PCI.

I've also never seen an onboard solution that doesn't need to use main memory, which has serious performance issues.

Don't get me wrong, I've 2 i810 P2/P3 boards (Slot and Socket on each board) and an MSI Socket A (XP) board that all have fairly good built in graphics adapters, just not for games. The MSI board will only at most register 8mb of RAM for graphics from main memory, which is another issue for most modern games.

D.

whoops yeah forgot they must have an agp slot, thought most did nowadays but think i just presumed so as mine comp had onboard graphics (2mb lol) but had an agp slot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

or just head into pc superstore in limerick and pick it up

Ok made up another system much cheaper can some one give me a rough differnce between the two..

This one is an AMD one... less ram though..

AMD Athlon XP2500+ 1.833 GHz 333 MHz bus Socket A (Barton) processor, 512 kb. OEM

EUR 155.99 inc. VAT (EUR 128.92 ex. VAT)

Abit KD7-E mainboard for Socket A (DDR) VIAKT333, ATA/133, ATX, USB2.0

EUR 88.25 inc. VAT

TwinMOS PC2700 DDR-DIMM 256MB CL2.5
    RAM 184-P (for DDR-PC333MHz)

EUR 35.78 inc. VAT

ATX Midi-Tower 300W
    300W power supply (ATX 2.03 P4 ready)
    4x 5.25" external bays
    1x 3.5" external bay
    3x 3.5" internal bays (1x hidden for floppy)
    2x front USB, micro + headset in front
    power cable and screws incl.
    Dimensions: 182 x 420 x 450mm (W x H x L)
    Euro 59.00 incl. VAT 21%

Total Value €345

Since thats cheaper then.. would it be possible to pick up one of those better GFx cards your talking about?? ANd if so what one? How much would I make if I sold my Kyro 2 card?

Thanks.

-Coz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

You really would be better off with the nforce 2 motherboard, as it has a great sound solution onboard, meaning you will never need another graphics card, and its onboard graphics is equivelant (sp?) to a GeForce4 MX440.

That kind of graphics card sells for between €70 - €130 on komplett.

You will need to use some of your system menory for the graphics, but given that you're getting 512 MB it shouldn't be a problem, and it'll be faster than your old Kyro 2 anyway.

Oh, just so you know, the nForce2 is designed to perform better with 2 sticks of memory (ie 2 X 256) instead of 1 stick (1 X 512).

But would it not be better if I stayed with that mobo i have up there for the amd chip and just baught a GF4 Ti graphics card and slotted it into the agp slot on that mobo? That would give better graphics profomance from the computer right?? and since it comes with its own ram, it wont use the pcs ram??

yeah you'd be better off getting a dedicated graphics card if you can afford it but i wouldn't get a GF 4 ti4200, when i could get a better ati radeon 9500 for a similar price

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=29009&t=278&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=24&GrpID=1&s=pl

thats a very decent card for about €225, there is the also a non pro version for about €195

Abit NF7 V1.2 mainboard nforce2 chipset €106
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+ @ 2.0Ghz €130
    2 X Twinmos 256mb PC2700 ram sticks €90
    Socket A coolmaster fan €16
    Graphics Sapphire radeon 9500 128mb €195

total about €537 + case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

yes the kde will do you but the nforce is a higher performance motherboard and it has dual controllers which kick out a lot power also the onboard graphics would offset any extra cost over the kde..ps check out creative site for refurbished graphics cards gf4 at a steal inc gf4 4600

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

You're really getting a lot of different opinions thrown your way way right now.
    Be careful that you get what you want and not what someone else wants :)

I think you should look at a motherboard with onboard sound and keep your Kyro2 for a while. (there's new GFX cards coming out now and they're gonna drop the prices of the higher end ones already on the market)
    Plus it's not that bad a card. 64MBs of RAM isn't that outta date. I've got an nVidia Riva TNT2 with 32MB and it plays quake3 and Unreal Tournament at pretty blistering speeds and it's three years old!
    If you do get onboard graphics and then upgrade with a card you'll have to bypass the onboard chip through the BIOS and that ca be scary. :)

Whether you get an AMD or P4 is a matter of opinion. To the best of my knowledge the AMD chips can do more calculations per second than a P4 but the P4 has faster clock speeds.

One thing I would suggest about getting the motherboard is to check the specifications of the board. For a P4 check things like the FSB speed, if it's Hyper Threading enabled, RAM speeds, AGP speed (4x or 8x) and onboard sound.

I believe the Motherboard is the most important part of the computer because it determines your future upgrade capabilities.
    If you're willing to spend a few extra quids on the Motherboard and wait a while before getting more parts this might be a better idea. But think on it yourself, how soon so you want this system going with all it's capabilities?

Well that's my 2 cents :p Here's a few little bits of extra info for you :)

[extra bit -- processors]
    The P4 seems to have the jump at the moment because they are using Hyper Threading (HT) technology (3.06GHz processor) which means it can perform 2 operations simultaneously, not asynchronously as it was up to this point.
    Also processors use a Front Side Bus (FSB) to communicate with the different parts of itself.
    Older P4s have a 400MHz FSB and the newer ones have a 533MHz FSB.
    Older AMDs have a 266MHZ FSB (I think) and the newer ones have a 333MHz FSB
    [/extra bit]

[extra bit -- motherboards]
    About the Chipset thingy!! :)
    The chipset is like the heart of the Motherboard where the Processor is the brain. They're very closely linked.
    The chipset will come in two parts, the Northbridge and the Southbridge.
    One (I can't remember which) will control the CPU, RAM, and other slot based parts (My facts might be a little astray)
    The other will control the onboard features such as USB, Sound, IDE bus and others.
    [/extrabit]

Advertisement