Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City: Workshop locations ?

• 22-04-2003 9:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

I would like to host a non-profit computer workshop/lecture in Cork City.What I am looking for is the use of a room in a location which is cool and doesn't charge people.I am prepared to pay a deposit for equipement etc ... Basically I need a room in a place for a few hours where I can invite people etc... perhaps a pub but I would prefer something cool like the bodega or something...I've never been to the arthouse in temple bar or the irish film center but is there anything like this in Cork ? Anyone got suggestions ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

Some community centres will facilitate you for free if you can demonstrate that project is non-profit and community/educationally focussed.

For instance, the Glen Resource Centre has a very large computer room with over a dozen PC's in situ.
    Email glencentre@eircom.net for further info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I'd recommend CIT's IT building. It's newish and has some big lecture theaters with some good demo equipment. They all have a big screen behind the lecturer with a ceiling mounted projector. The input can be from a PC(networked) or from a camera which is mounted like an overhead projector, but can be moved. I think you can also use auxillary inputs.

It's got parking (not much but it's there) and it's a hell of a lot more appealing then the Glen.

What's the workshop about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

Thanks for the suggestions but they don't quite hit the spot.The Glen and Cit are outside the city center.Anyone know if UCC have a place in the city center they "rent" out.I know they have something on the Grand Parade but that's more like a shop.I'm looking for a arty farty place in the center.Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

the Triskel Arts Centre
    don't know if it's suitable for your purposes but it's v. "arty farty" & central
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Originally posted by DannyD
    The Glen and Cit are outside the city center..

That was my point - the city center's a nightmare these days. UCC's probably your best bet then. They have buildings all over the shop.

There seems to be a lot of call centers in the Pembrose Quay shopping center - would they rent you a conference room?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

Originally posted by Blitzkrieger

There seems to be a lot of call centers in the Pembrose Quay shopping center - would they rent you a conference room?

No, they wouldn't! These businesses in Penrose Wharf are only tenants themselves (renting from the multi-millionaire owner who also owns the old Thompsons building on McCurtain St and many other properties around the city. As tenants, their lease agreements would preclude any subletting.

DannyD........... I understood that your requirement was for a "free" venue. That was why I suggested a Community Centre. If you want a free room in the city centre then I reckon your options are quite limited -- space is a premium in city pubs. Very few bars keep a room idle waiting for a function booking. One that does spring to mind, though, is the upstairs Telecom Eireann bar in McCurtain St. West Ham supporters club and Cork Darts use the function room regularly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement