Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BBC Interactive via FTA Beeb

• 22-04-2003 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

Just wondering...BBC currently, I believe, use a proprietary interactive system from Sky, and it's main rival I think, is called OpenTV - will it be possible for BBC to broadcast some sort of hybrid, or broadcast the 2 standards at the same time so that anyone with any receiver can access their Interactive product?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If BBC use a transponder which does not use 22 or 27.5MHz signal rate you will NOT pick it up with a DigiBox.

If SKY do not give them an EPG number then it's a real pain to tune them in. You have to add the channel in manually in the services menu (and re add it every few months) To change channels it's simply services-6- down down down down select etc. Try it with the ITN regions - unless there is a must see film - it is a lot of hassle to do.

PS. it is not interactive unless you are paying for the phone call - otherwise you just choose which broadcast data stream you look at. I';m not too worried 'cos it just takes too long for the stuff to load (press red botton )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    If BBC use a transponder which does not use 22 or 27.5MHz signal rate you will NOT pick it up with a DigiBox.

Do you mean symbol rate? This is measured im m/baud not MHz The FEC (forward error correction) is also limited on a digibox although its unlikely BBC would not use one of the FEC's available on a digibox.

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

PS. it is not interactive unless you are paying for the phone call - otherwise you just choose which broadcast data stream you look at. I';m not too worried 'cos it just takes too long for the stuff to load (press red botton )

Not strictly true as not all interactive features require a phone call.

Tony

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Originally posted by Icehouse
    Just wondering...BBC currently, I believe, use a proprietary interactive system from Sky, and it's main rival I think, is called OpenTV - will it be possible for BBC to broadcast some sort of hybrid, or broadcast the 2 standards at the same time so that anyone with any receiver can access their Interactive product?

Er... the Sky system IS OpenTV. Sky run their own system (Sky Active) on top of the OpenTV software.

The feeling at the moment seems to be that only those with Sky digiboxes will be able to access BBCi - FTA box owners won't.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ta Tony

I meant Interactive in the sense that you have some control in what they are sending as opposed to the more restricive sense of interaction where you have no control over what is broadcast and can only choose what at to look at.

Re: Mhz/Mb etc. - All the transponders on Astra 2D so far seem to be on 22 Mega-thingies so as long as SKY don't do some sneaky stuff in the next SW upgrade you should be able to pick it up as an Other Channel even if they take it off the EPG.

In fact you should be able to do this with an non-universal LNB as those transponders use lower frequencies.

Anyone want to get rid of an old analog disk - with or without LNB ??? :)

• Advertisement

Ta Tony

I meant Interactive in the sense that you have some control in what they are sending as opposed to the more restricive sense of interaction where you have no control over what is broadcast and can only choose what at to look at.

Yes I see your point, thanks for that. Does anyone remember the ITV test that was FTA but not viewable on digiboxes? Just wondering would they do something similar.

Tony

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by Tony
    Yes I see your point, thanks for that. Does anyone remember the ITV test that was FTA but not viewable on digiboxes? Just wondering would they do something similar.

Tony

Are you referring to when ITV2 was FTA for some time but without a channel ID? Meaning you had to manually add PID's. Or are you referring to just before ITV went "live" on SKy?

The ITV2 Test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

That ITV2 was none to easy to add even on a FTA box.
    I think even a Digibox needs proper tables in the stream, rather than something "broken".

Also BBC intent is that the programs should be EASIER to get than using a FTV card, i.e. no card or not even a digibox.
    So on ANY Digibox where Sky "blocks it" reboot with a blank card (i.e. old cheque card) or upside down ROI card will make the BBC be on the EPG.

It is very likely that BBC won't pay to be on ROI EPG (an extra charge compared with UK FTA EPG) so it will not so much be blocked as invisible, working with reboot as above and also via "Other Channels" like BBC Parliament TV and BBC Radio does today.

Most interactive (All?) on satellite is a very slow version of DVD interactive, you only select streams already there, but worse than DVD you can't restart/rewind having to wait for the stream to loop around.

Even with phone line almost no new information is sent. Email would be biggest and it probabily received by phone not satellite. Mostly the phone is just to register a charge for a pay service (Games, betting, BoxOffice).

Satellite Red Dot stuff is littel more interactive than Teletext (You can select a page but it is not sent to you personally, all the pages are continiusly sent in schedule with most likley requested pages sent more often).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

If we in ROI have to manually add the BBC channels dosent that mean that you won't be able to use the interactive as the red dot dosent appear. I used to watch programmes via add channels so the red dot dosen't appear. Not sure if this is still the case though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I've just been thinking, all to do with this interactive stuff...

BBCi Text has a "Change Channels" option. Currently only BBC ONE, BBC TWO, and the BBC NEWS Interactive screens work in ROI. Anything else freezes up the box. But when the channels go FTA, surely they will work then...

Could be an easier way to view the other BBC channels than add channels...

Maybe I've broke my own rules here, but still...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

What rule have you broke ?

It just sounds very clever to me.

Well done !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by icdg
    Could be an easier way to view the other BBC channels than add channels...

it would certainly prove to be an easy way to see what is on those extra BBC channels. i can't imagine that there are many people willing to watch tv on a tiny screen as is the case with BBCi

Advertisement