Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Quiz!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Éomer of Rohan

Nope but who was she?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

By the way, am I missing something or where the hell did Spanner come from? [/B][/QUOTE]

hopefully from my mother,, haha alright ill stop been a smart bastard.
    just looking at your quizz it seems very hard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

name all the buildings on the acropolis in athens.

Spanner, kindly follow the rules on the board.

One person asks questions. If and when you get the answer, you can ask a question.

The answer to mine was Fulvia.

The answer to yours is no.

For what unconstitutional action during his term of consulship in 59BC did the conservative members of the senate wish to recall Caesar from Gaul and have him tried?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

An agrarian bill authorizing the purchase of land for Pompey’s veterans
    was passed in January of 59 BC at a disorderly public assembly which
    Caesar’s fellow consul Calpurnius Bibulus, was thrown from the
    platform and his consular insignia were broken.

• Advertisement

Ignoring Bibulus veto was the charge but your answer will do Sci0x :p

Your question.

In 300 BCE, Seleucus I Nicator, ruler of the vast Eastern parts of Alexander's Empire founded what city as his capital.

Oh it wouldn't be Seleucia would it? I know there is a city with that name and it existed around the same time but I have no idea when it was built or who by.

Nope wasnt Seleucia.

There were four main centres of Seleucid power as I remember. Galatia in the West, Seleucia in the East and Damascus and Antioch in the middle. Of these, if any, it would have then to be Antioch if not Seleucia since Galatia is far to close the Antigonid territories and Damascus I know far predated the period.

So, Antioch.

• Advertisement

Yep :D, your question

Woohooo - how's that for sheer fluke!? An interesting fact to know at any rate.

What historian recorded the first voyage around all of Africa and back into the mouth of the mediterranean?

Herodotus?

Excellent, well done - over to you!

On the evening of 26 July 1909, a newly built passenger liner left Durban bound for Cape Town. What was the liners name and what date was she expected to arrive.

The Waratah - I remember this from my Greatest Mysteries of the Sea big book.

Don't ask me what date she was expected to arrive I haven't a clue - IF it is the same ship that is.

Yep it was and she was expected to arrive on Thursday 29 July 1909. Anyway i'll give it to you, your question :D

Woohoo, on a roll here!

Errr, now for a question....

Who led the first revolt of a Latin state from European colonial control and what was the state?

Ohh i'm not well up on this but was it the Haitian Revolution led by Toussaint L'Ouverture?

Full marks, top of the class and all that jazz!

Who says video games can't teach us anything lol?

Well done, your go. It is getting to be rather a two man show on the history forum eh Sci0x?

Manach seems to be taking a break and so much for our mods lol!

• Advertisement

Yeah its like a thread dedicated to us asking each other questions. COME ON EVERYONE, WHERE ARE YE!

Anyway, my question In the third century around 400 Gallic tribes began to overrun the Etruscan settlements of the Po Valley. When they completely occupied this region what did they become known as and what did this name mean?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

From my rather tattered copy of Olgilive's "Early Rome & Etruscans",
    The Celtic Senone tribe arrived about this time, & I've no idea what the name means.

No it wasnt the Celtic Senone tribe.

Well come on then, your two days are up - tell us who and give a new question....

They became known as Cisalpine Gaul ("Gaul this side of the Alps").

Ok next question: Who said the following quote and when?
    "So if you do not get out of this area and take your army with you, I shall treat you not as a friend but as an enemy; and if I kill you, I shall give great satisfaction to a large number of noble and distinguished Roman citizens."

Had to be a noble. Probably late republic. I don't remember any quote to that effect in any Plutarch's lives, and it seems like his language.

Hmmmm.....could be Catiline I suppose.
    Marcus Porcius Cato perchance?

(By the way, did you get a chance to look over the Sparta Essay I wrote - any suggested amendments or sources I may have overlooked are always welcome - that goes for anyone mind. It my first essay this year towards my degree).

No, ok a clue it was said around 58 BC.

58 BC hmm? That was the year of Clodius' tribunate. The reference to an army confuses me because I'd have said it was Clodius talking to Cicero or Milo talking to Clodius....but saying that it strikes me that 58 was also the year that Caesar invaded Gaul and defeated the Helvetaii - it wouldn't have been Caesar to his former ally Ariovistus would it?

It certainly was Caesar to his former ally Ariovistus!!

• Advertisement

You gotta love it!!

Wooohooo for the logical reasoning and guesswork (and the clue lol :D )

My question...

Pericles, strategos at Athens from the later 440's to 429 BC was pro-Athenian Democracy. What connection did he have with Cleisthenes, the original creator of the demes system which allowed for Themistocles and Ephialtes to reform the system allowing the thetes to have greater power outside of ties of ideology...?

Advertisement