Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Quiz!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Éomer of Rohan

Yeah; Aristophanes was referring to the noveau riche status of Cleon who had built his fathers tannery into a very large industry apparently.

I have recently started reading the Akharnians too - it is hilarious and I highly recommend it!

Your question Manach.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Which Roman once said:
    "Rome is a city of necks, just waiting for me to chop"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

A Roman Emperoro Caligula.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Ichiro

Who Coined the Phrase

The Great Depression

in the 1929 crash?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Originally posted by Ichiro
    Who Coined the Phrase

The Great Depression

in the 1929 crash?

hum...dont think its your turn.

...back in line....

• Advertisement

So, ignoring Ichiro, Manach, was it Caligula? It actually reminds me something that Jugurtha said...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Indeed it was Caligula, anyone who makes his horse a senator could not have been all that bad surely?

Spiced wine, Numidian chicken and dates cooked in honey was a common recipe in what civilization.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Roman

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Egyption

• Advertisement

Etruscan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭shock

Greek

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    Roman
    Correct.

During WWII there was a release of chemical weapons which caused over 800 casualties including over 60 deaths.

Where and who owned the weapons ?

Yichang, China, by the Japanese. It was mustard gas and there were probably other incidents besides this one.

This is the well documented incident I was looking for
    http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq104-4.htm

I can find lots of references but no specifics - the Japanese usually used biological weapons.

Japanese link - Unit 731 http://shenware.virtualave.net/his_unit731.shtml
    Chemical warfare from Ancient times http://www.irsn.fr/saci/eng/CHIMIE/info/INFO_IMG/33800.htm#t7

So Éomer if you can think of a question before I can it's yours.

OK, I'll bag it then lol. Great Historians of Classical Greece have long debated over whether or not there was a formal peace made between the Athenian-dominated Delian League and Persia in 448/7 BC, called by those who argue FOR it's existence, the Peace of Callias. What famous Athenian of the time, so recently taken from Athens when she most needed him, was related to Callias by blood and what was the relation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Bejaysus I never thought the thread would attract so much interest! Having seen the amount of chaps plugging away at it, a thought passed through mes mind earlier.

I run this here "quiz" on that there "IRC" entitled with the stunningly original Markquiz. If there's enough support from here, I'd be willing to modify the script a bit and run a #historyquiz for the craic.

Up to 15, pure history questions so the plebs won't dare come near. Fancy a go anyone?

Originally posted by Mark
    Up to 15, pure history questions so the plebs won't dare come near. Fancy a go anyone?

Sure, sounds like fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Originally posted by Mark
    I run this here "quiz" on that there "IRC" entitled with the stunningly original Markquiz. If there's enough support from here, I'd be willing to modify the script a bit and run a #historyquiz for the craic.
    I endorse this. But only if mark doesn't cheat me from winning as he has so many times in the past.

• Advertisement

What will the prizes include?

Well, if you are as active there, Mark, as you are here, nah it is ok.

Anyway, given that the two days are well past, the answer to my previous is Cimon.

Next question: From what region was a left wing regional government deposed by the Wiemar Central government in 1919 to assure army support for the government against the Freikorp?

Prussia?

Nope....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Da_cOmRaDe_MiKe

Bavaria? :confused:

No. Bavaria was famously right wing throughout the period of the Weimar Republic.

A clue is that it is a double barelled name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Da_cOmRaDe_MiKe

ok am my only wild guess is schleswig holstein. i think this is one of the only double barreled names of german regions... not aure if its the right answer

Nope. Schleswig-Holstein is a double barrelled region but not the correct one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Originally posted by Éomer of Rohan
    Well, if you are as active there, Mark, as you are here, nah it is ok.
    This is what our experts (okay, Mark) call "chaek." He's quite active, really, what with the bannings of me and the quizzes and all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Nordrhein Westphalia? Having that strong liberal Dutch influence?

Advertisement