Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Quiz!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Éomer of Rohan

The answer was Saxony-Thuringia.

Anyway, next question; Ephorus was a historian who followed Thucydides' History of the Peloponnesian War with one of his own, recording areas that Thucydides missed and in some cases giving different versions of the same story. Regrettably, we have no record of this history save indirect transcriptions by what Roman-age Sicilian (?) historian?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

plutarch (guess)

Nope. Plutarch was born in Boeotia (at Chaeronea I believe) in Greece, though he was Roman age, he was not the historian we are after.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

tacitus [sp?]?

Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Livy?

Nope.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

it wasn't either of the Plinny's was it (late of vesuvious)

Nope - but I have to compliment you each on your knowledge of ancient historians.

dammit janet.

suetonious[sp?]?

• Advertisement

Correct spelling and again, nope.

Any last calls?

jesus?

[happy birthday btw]

No - the answer was Diodorus Siculus. He's generally just called Diodorus though, and he was a native of Syracuse if I remember correctly. Moving swiftly on...

How did Marcus Porcius Cato, (the contemporary of Iulius Caesar, can't remember if that was the Elder or the Younger and can't be arsed looking up Plutarch's life which I have upstairs) die and in what city?

Just a quick topical one while we're thinking of ancient historians...

What happened on Christmas day in Jeruslem in 1927 ?

I'd imagine some Palestinians were shot by occupying French or British forces. It seemed to happen every other day lol.

I'd appreciate sticking to the question at hand though.

Juvinal was a satirist so not 'im

And as for my question - no nothing nasty like that - it's a fun one :)

Did he commit suicide in a rather inept fashion as Caesar's army was about to nab him in North Africa?

It snowed :)

He wasn't the guy who had to fall on his sword because he couldn't poison himself because he'd built up an immunity to it (strycnine ?) 'cos he was taking a small amount daily to prevent himself being poisoned ?

Gentleman, the informal 24hr timeout has long since past, and I believe both the Captn and myself have near enough the right answer.
    So to restart,
    What is the highest military rank did the American President Buchanan achieved prior to his election?

• Advertisement

Lieutenant-Colonel?

Lieutenant/Colonel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

I'm going for Private please Bob.

Indeed Private, according to "Essential Militiaria", the lowest rank for a President, excluding GW Bush's reserve commision of Lt.
    Your turn.

Originally posted by Manach
    Indeed Private, according to "Essential Militiaria", the lowest rank for a President, excluding GW Bush's reserve commision of Lt.
    Your turn.

I love that book! The sound the pages make when turning them is enough to justify the price alone. Roysh, as for a quezzer (and you'll need the skeelz for this one bai!) :

The top RAF Ace of World War II was Marmaduke 'Pat' Pattle with over 40 (and possibly as many as 50 depending on which text you check) kills. He was killed on 20 April 1941 in the Battle of Athens by an overwhelmingly superior Luftwaffe force. The question is; On this day, what famous author was up in the air with him?

The french lad wot wrote the little prince ?
    Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's

Nein! Guess again old bean.

Richard Hillary? He wrote "The Last Enemy" and was a spitfire pilot.

Not the man I'm looking for I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭shock

Roald Dahl?

Advertisement