Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Quiz!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Correct! He details it a bit in Going Solo. Anyway, your question thar young shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭shock

When the enola gay dropped the first atomic bomb on Hiroshima on August 6th 1945 there were two other B29's in the flight, one carrying observers the other carrying scientific equipment.
    What were the names of those two planes?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Chase planes :D
    I'll have to look up that Paul Tibbets interview in Trideici's book at home

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's not in the book or on the Atomic age CD.
    Bock's Car it ain't

Anyways after 24hrs it's ok to google ??

Operation Centerboard...

The SEVEN B-29's of the Hiroshima Mission:

* The "Enola Gay", piloted by Col. Tibbets carries the "Little Boy" uranium bomb.
    * "The Great Artiste", piloted by Maj. Charles Sweeney, is assigned to drop the three instruments used to measure the blast effects of the bomb.
    * "#91" (unnamed at the time - later "Necessary Evil"), flown by Capt. George Marquardt, carries the scientific observers.

* "Top Secret", flown by Capt. Chuck Knight, acts as a standby aircraft and flew to Iwo Jima in the event of mechanical problems with the Enola Gay.
    * "Straight Flush" will act as a weather plane and fly ahead to primary target of Hiroshima.
    * "Jabbitt III" will act as a weather plane and fly ahead to the secondary target of Kokura.
    * "Full House" will act as a weather plane and fly ahead to the alternate target of Nagasaki.

Note: re #91, Tibbets plane was #82 before this

http://www.childrenofthemanhattanproject.org/CG/CG_09C1.htm
    http://www.acepilots.com/usaaf_tibbets.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭shock

I'll allow the use of google since i had to use it to find out the answers too and it took me ages.
    Your question.

• Advertisement

There is a tradition in a certain country of dispossed people (not the indigenous natives however), taking over an area and running it for themselves. In the last few years the first of these has been given legal sanction, about 3,000 people now own the land they have lived on for generations.

The prototype for these was a community that existed a couple of centuries ago in the same area, named after the local vegitation, and it resisted many attempts by a European Colonial power to overthrow it by force and was on the verge of accepting a peace deal guaranteeing their continued existance - but the leader was posioned and they fought on till the bitter end.

What are they called ?
    Bonous marks for the number of people living in them today in this country.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Cubans ??

Close - you're in the right hemisphere - but not there.

any takers before I post another question from a totally different part of history ?

Palmares c.1600-1695 in Brazil
    (Ganga Zumba & Zumbi being the leaders)

http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/42/135.html
    http://www.vidaslusofonas.pt/zumbi_dos_palmares2.htm

• Advertisement

What state separated the Ottoman and the Mughal empires in much of the 16th ,17th and 18th centuries ?

The Persian Empire?

Dates a wee bit out ;)

At Issus in 333BC (ie. two thousand years earlier) Axelander the Great won a victory over Darius that ended what I would have called the Persion empire. That Persion empire was also referred to as the Achaemenid Empire. (Hey I'm learning stuff too..)

Not according to a book I am reading on Islamic Civilisation called "What went Wrong" by Bernard Lewis which denotes the "Persian Empire", being on the eastern border of the Ottoman Empire during this time period.

In addition to the Achaemenid there were other Persian empires at different times over the last 2000 years.
    There were the Parthian and Abbbasid and Sassanian and Safavid empires.

you've a 1 in 4 chance Manach :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Sassanian?

It's just for Manach as he was the only one who answered.

Compared to a lot of the questions this is actually a very generic question ... people here seem to know more about the nuiances of Classical Greek and Roman individuals than the existance of adjacent empires. I'm just trying to broaden the scope a little. :)

Unlike the various Chineese & Egyptian empires many of the persion empires were very different to each other in terms of ruling class, language, religeon, womens rights. Hence I'm looking for a closer answer.

Far enough, my interests in History at the moment are mostly Greco-Roman: :)

Ya might as well have a guess anyway !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Éomer of Rohan

It was the Persian Empire but just a variation on a theme thereof - the Persian Empire supposedly destroyed at Issus (and then at Persepolis, Susa and ten other cities on the road to India!) re-established itself as the Seleucid Greeks turned more and more away from mainstream Greek culture. By the age of Caesar this had been overrun by the Parthians who enjoyed a brief period of dominance before they too ran out of steam and the Persians re-asserted themselves. By the 19th Century, the Persian Empire was a recognised state controlling Iran and the surrounding regions.

Anyway, I think it is a bit unfair to limit who can answer the question - Manach got it right before you decided to split hairs, so is it not his question eh?

• Advertisement

It was one of many distinctPersian empires.
    the Persians re-asserted themselves. By the 19th Century,
    ROFL
    My point exactly ~ 19 centuries of history and several distinct empires from that region fitting into a full stop. Especially considering the whole invaders from the Asian Steeps changing whole populations and the Islamic thing changing religeon, culture, traditions, customs and languages completely. Few would argue that the Iran of today is quite different from the Persia of the Shah and that ain't exactly aincent history.....

Suppose you're right - Manach your question..
    (probably be something like the number of grapes Claudius used to eat before going to bed during the summer :rolleyes: )

Thanks. I think.
    After seeing the "Last Samurai", I'll try an Oriental question.
    In 1741, the castle of Kira Yoshinaka, was attacked by how many ex-samurai/ronin, vowing to avenge their master's disgrace?.

40 ?

[edit] Dang wrong - BTW: your date is wrong - any film with Jean Reno being nasty is worth watching.

My mistake it was 1702.

40 is not quite the right number, but close.

BTW I though Jean Reno played a fairly good guy in "Ronin"? and how could they make Sean Bean/Sharpe a coward :) ?

Originally posted by Manach
    BTW I though Jean Reno played a fairly good guy in "Ronin"? and how could they make Sean Bean/Sharpe a coward :) ?
    Killing people for money does not make you a "good guy" especially when a lot of civilians get killed too.
    Always good to see an Actor doing different roles - squaddie.

Well, its past the 24 hour deadline, the answer is
    47. The incident being commerated by numerous films and plays.

So, If the Capt'n or anyone else wishes to post a question, fire away.

When was the Irish synod of bishops ?

(The one where they planned the diocesan organization of the Irish Church to supersede the monastic system)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

can we have a new question?

1111 - one of the few dates I can remember..

Which ruler captured ~15,000 prisoners and had an eye taken out of one of every hundred of them before he had the rest blinded and sent them all back home ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Can we try and keep the questions a little easier, while I happen to know for example the date of the Synod because I do history in college, most people wouldn't :)

Stuff a bit more general would be nice :)

Advertisement