Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Quiz!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Re: Prisoners - Basil the Bulgar Slayer of Byzantine,
    I vaguely remember him from a National Geographic book and I sort of admired his command style :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

PHB - Actually that date did came from my Nation School history book and it truly is one of the easiest dates to remember !

Manach - Bingo - Your question.

"To make victory certain, we would have to march into Washington and dictate terms of peace in the White House" - who spoke these words?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Well it wern't Admiral Yamamoto and I don't think it was the Canadians 'cos they actually did go to the white house, and burned it down :D (1812?) so I'll say Benedict Arnold

Actually wasn't indeed Admiral Yamamoto the answer I was looking for.
    Your question.

• Advertisement

LOL - definitely subliminal :D

BTW it was the Safavid empire (~ Iran)

By what name was Mustafa Kemal ,president of Turkey from 1923-38 better know as.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Attaturk (sp?).

Attaboy :D (Ataturk - umlaut on the u)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

sorry to butt in but is googling allowed in these quizes

or do you know that much about history (me impressed!)

Not for the first 24 hours ... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

sorry to butt in but is googling allowed in these quizes

/me gargles with rage

The last point:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=92298

I take a rather dim view of googling you see.

Opens a history book on a random page..

Well people argue about when the second world war started - If looked at as part two of a European Civil war, then both Germany and Italy had invaded other countries in the same month the Spanish Civil war ended and Italy, Germany and Russia all had involvement in that too.

While some could argue that more resolve by the internatinal community in that civil war could have hemmed in the ambitions of the dicatators there was an earlier event where this could have been done.

Shortly before the Spanish Civil war ineffectual sanctions (no oil or coal banned etc.) were applied to one of these powers by the league of nations because of a fairly one sided incursion. They did not work and a ruler had to go into exile in Britain - who was he ?

King Zog of Albania?

No that one was a little later on
    Zog was a nice bloke by all accounts - legend has it he used to drink out of a skull of a virgin who killed herself etc.
    [edit] Right european power though.

Halie Salasie ?

That's him - and the final stage of the carve up of Africia between the Europeans

My question is :
    Who was the last English King to die in battle and name the battlefield?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Richard the III at Bosworth

Exactly, your question...

Sorry about delay. Racking my brains to think of something.

OK Here goes:

To the nearest cent, what is the value in euro currency of the old Irish Half Crown, in circulation until 1971?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Hairy Homer
    To the nearest cent, what is the value in euro currency of the old Irish Half Crown, in circulation until 1971?
    €0.16

Cha Chingg!!!

Correct.

Your question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

dont suppose anyone wants to start this up again????

anyway if anyone does heres a french history question:

name the girl arrested outside the lodgings of Robespierre and found to have a dagger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 bleedin'header

eh is it gravier?

nope.....heres a big clue..........."vroom vroom beep beep"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭martarg

Hmm... Charlotte Corday?

nope.......do ya give up?

cecile renault.

cecile renault.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭martarg

Tough one... I tried good ol' google ( after taking my guess, I can never resist the impulse of finding out something I don't know), and I couldn't find anything without the actual name :D ... next question? (I have promised myself a good reward the day someone asks a question I can actually answer.... ) :(

Advertisement