Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Quiz!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

boabdil????:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭martarg

:D Yep ... your turn again, now please make it easy.... ;)

ok heres one you'll probably find easy!

name the islands owned by Spain until 1885 when a German protectorate was established?

You'd think so, wouldn't you? :o The pretentious answer is that with so many islands owned by Spain over the centuries, one gets confused :D (my apologies to all oppressed peoples throughout the world) ... considering that I never majored in Spanish history, and that colonial territories were a list of names I usually forgot as soon as exams were over, I must say that I don't know... if no-one takes their guess, you can go on to the next question.... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Yap Islands?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Manach
    Yap Islands?

nope! anyone else want a try?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by peachypants
    nope! anyone else want a try?
    I had an idea but was wrong. I googled and was surprised at which ocean the islands were located in.

the answer is......The Marshall Islands

American History now:

During the Watergate scandal, what defence did Nixon try to argue to avoid appearing in front of a Grand Jury and to avoid handing over Whitehouse tapes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

the answer is......The Marshall Islands

American History now:

During the Watergate scandal, what defence did Nixon try to argue to avoid appearing in front of a Grand Jury and to avoid handing over Whitehouse tapes?

Executive privilege.

ie I'm too important to be asked a lot of silly questions.

correct! :D

you're up Hairy.

• Advertisement

OK Let's try a parochial one.

The Irish constitution has a mechanism whereby an unelected person can be appointed to the cabinet by first being appointed to the senate as a Taoiseach's nominee.

Who was the last Senator in the cabinet?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Àggh. It was some guy about 1970 under a FG/ Labour coalition. I think he had Foreign Affiers (or was it still External Affairs back then).

prendergast???? major guess!

Originally posted by Victor
    Àggh. It was some guy about 1970 under a FG/ Labour coalition. I think he had Foreign Affiers (or was it still External Affairs back then).

Nearly right. Foreign Affairs. FG Labour Coalition. But (slightly) more recent than that.
    Not Prendergast

well i havent a breeze.....:confused:

Senator James Dooge (affectionately known as Deputy Doog) appointed Foreign Minister by Garret Fitzgerald in the 1980s.

At least I think he's the most recent. I don't remember another similar appointment since.

Does this mean I get to ask another question?

yep....go again.

yep....go again.

OK. Who was the Palestinian guerilla whom Oliver North challenged to single combat anywhere on the globe during the investigation into the Iran-Contra scandal in the 1980s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 eoinm

Abu Nidal, AFAIK it eventually morphed into an urban myth concerning Bin Laden.

do you follow up this with another q?

Yep, whoever gets the right answer, gets to ask the next question... ;) (rare privilege in my case, snif....)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by martarg
    Yep, whoever gets the right answer, gets to ask the next question... ;) (rare privilege in my case, snif....)

Only if it's the right answer. Eoinm you are correct. It was Abu Nidal.

You're up.

cool, so on a vaguely related theme Franz Ferdinands assassin (not the band, the archduke) belonged to which group?

Is "anarchists" too general? :dunno: To be a little more specific, I have a vague notion that he was a Hungarian....

ohh sorry, I ment group in the sence that the IRA are a group

IT was the Black something wasn't it?

Black Hand?

[/wittering]

Whoo Hoo!

I'm up again!!

The Ballyseedy massacre of republicans by the Free State army (tie several IRA prisoners to a landmine, retreat safe distance, detonate) in the Civil War which is commemorated by a massive sculpture outside the Ballyseedy Castle Hotel and annual ceremonies, was carried out in retaliation for a booby trap explosion a few days previously which killed and maimed several Free State soldiers (no commemoration that I know of) in which quaintly named Kerry village?

Knocknagashel (sp)

the joys of having a republican primary school teacher

It was actually Knocknagoshel but I'll give you that. :-)

• Advertisement

ok then, dodgy spelling aside.

Where was Irelands first co-operative movement?

Advertisement