Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Quiz!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

'twas in some small village in Limerick (or was it Cavan ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 eoinm

geographically close with Limerick

Originally posted by eoinm
    geographically close with Limerick

anyone gonna get this or will i post the answer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Put us out of our misery.

it was the Ralahine commune
    http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/history/ralahine.htm

in/near newmarket-on-fergus, where dromoland castle is, which george bush just visited

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭martarg

And the next question is.....?? ;)

ok, to keep up a vague theme, who do the O'Briens of Thomond (former owners of Dromoland) claim direct decent from?

Brian Boru?

Not so many options I know of.... :dunno:

got it in one!

When you don't know much, there is less to choose from... :p

My turn after so many weeks, snif, snif... OK, let's keep it Irish genealogy... Who was the famous uncle of Daniel O'Donoghue (a.k.a. The O'Donoghue), popular MP from the independent opposition party during the 1850s?

• Advertisement

Ok, after three days perhaps a little clue may be in order.... when I say "famous uncle" I mean HUGELY famous, has his own street in Dublin... ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

In my tradition of WAG, is it Parnell?.

Hmmmm, nope, further back... this was the 1850s, but the guy was equally famous... ;)

O'Connell?

Wild (unlikley) guess. Robert Emmet.

Would fit the time line but 'o'Donoghue sounds pretty inidigenous Irish whereas emmet was Anglo.

And the Oscar goes to eoinm! ;) It was O'Connell (Emmet died a little too early in the century to have been his uncle, I think) ... next question?

ok so, who was the last hangman working in ireland?

Originally posted by eoinm
    ok so, who was the last hangman working in ireland?

Albert Pierrepoint

thats the chap

Charles II of England, the Merry Monarch who was restored to the throne in 1661 after the English had had a gutsfull of the miserable Puritans with their bans on any form of fun and entertainment at all, was the father of 13 children.

But how many of them were legitimate?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Irish04

zero
    Originally posted by Hairy Homer
    Charles II of England, the Merry Monarch who was restored to the throne in 1661 after the English had had a gutsfull of the miserable Puritans with their bans on any form of fun and entertainment at all, was the father of 13 children.

But how many of them were legitimate?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'll see your 0 and raise you 5.

Eoinm is right. They were all bastards.

But one of them was the great great great great whatever....a direct forebear of Lady Diana Spencer. So if the monarchy does not implode over the next 40years or so, there will be a direct descendant of Charles II on the throne after Lizzy and Chaz pop their clogs.

Sigh. The Glorious Revolution. Was it all in vain?

Your question sir.

Ryanair fly to the french airport of Carcassonne. Now this city was sacked by the Albigensian Crusade, the question is what sect/heresy did this crusade seek to distroy.

Originally posted by Hairy Homer
    Eoinm is right. They were all bastards.

But one of them was the great great great great whatever....a direct forebear of Lady Diana Spencer. So if the monarchy does not implode over the next 40years or so, there will be a direct descendant of Charles II on the throne after Lizzy and Chaz pop their clogs.

Sigh. The Glorious Revolution. Was it all in vain?

Your question sir.

Cathars - which to my mine sounds like a cough complaint.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'm probably getting mixed up with them lads in "the name of the rose" and for some reason Rastafarians keeps popping up - but like that's out by about 1,000 years and a whole continent. :D

Yeah didn't the pope give an English king a medal or something for a crusade against Irish heresy some time back ?

top marks to the monkish avatar ;)
    i think they were mentioned in 'in the name of the rose' too though
    Originally posted by Manach
    Cathars - which to my mine sounds like a cough complaint.

Back to a classical theme
    - Who was the first Roman Emperor whose father was then reigning Emperor, to succed him?

Hint - I'd be lion if I said this was difficult :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 springbok

Titus Flavius Vespasianus

Advertisement