Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Quiz!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Correct - your turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 springbok

What unusual did Alexander the Great see when he came to the walls of Babylon, where he died - according to the latest theory it might have something to do with the reason of his death

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

hmmm well i know he died of malaria but wasn't it something about the astronomers/prophets telling him he must enter the city while facing the east? if he entered the other gate he would be facing the west which is where the sun sets and a setting sun was a symbol for decline?? but in the end he had to enter facing the west.

thats the only unusual thing i can think of.

shít it was something about crows fighting!!! where there crows or ravens fighting at the walls and some of them falling dead in front of him?

yes, ravens they were - and the latest theory is that Alexander died of West Nile virus infection, often carried by ravens

• Advertisement

ok so heres one for ya, pretty easy.

Which US President was in office at the time of the Three Mile Island nuclear plant meltdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Carter.

yup, told ya it was easy!:D

Who was the American president when Fermi's "reactor" went critical?

Lyndon Johnson

• Advertisement

Eh, no, Fermi died in 1954. Try again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Roosevelt

Correct, it went critical in 1942.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Must be due a new question any day now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Question about Richard the Lion Heart / Coeur-de-Lion.

What did he die of ?

in a battle in France

WHAT did he die of ?

An arrow wound?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭martarg

I agree with Manach, if I remember correctly from my distant college days, it was an arrow wound during a "hunting accident" ... I don't know why, but I came away with the idea that dear brother John was a suspect....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

cross bow bolt

• Advertisement

Haven't had the time to check up on this recently
    The answer I was looking for was Gangrene, since that's what killed him otherwise there's a good chance he would have survived the flesh wound.
    BTW: The founder of the pinkerton detective agency was out walking his dog, tripped on the leash and bit his tongue, he also died of gangrene...

So Manach's arrow WOUND would be the closest.
    It was while besieging the castle at Chalus in France that he was shot by an arrow in the shoulder. Gangrene set in and Richard ordered the archer who had shot him, to come to his bed-side. The archer’s name was Bertram, and Richard gave him a hundred shillings and set him free.

King Richard died at the age of 41 from this wound. The throne passed to his brother John.

A sad end for the Lion-Heart, and alas, also for poor Bertram the archer. Despite the King’s pardon he was first flayed alive and then hanged.
    http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/England-History/RichardTheLionHeart.htm

From the rather excellent 'Rubicon' by Tom Holland
    Q: What is the name of the Prophetess who sold King Tarquin of Rome 3 books of prophecies?

martarg wrote:
    I agree with Manach, if I remember correctly from my distant college days, it was an arrow wound during a "hunting accident" ... I don't know why, but I came away with the idea that dear brother John was a suspect....

No. Richard was killed by an arrow wound during a siege at a castle in France. I respectfully suggest that you may be mixing him up with William II (Rufus) who was killed by an arrow during a hunting expedition and there were some rumours that it may not have been an accident.

Manach wrote:
    From the rather excellent 'Rubicon' by Tom Holland
    Q: What is the name of the Prophetess who sold King Tarquin of Rome 3 books of prophecies?

Wild Guess: Cassandra

(or is that a stupid statement from somebody who hasn't seen Troy yet?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭martarg

No. Richard was killed by an arrow wound during a siege at a castle in France. I respectfully suggest that you may be mixing him up with William II (Rufus) who was killed by an arrow during a hunting expedition and there were some rumours that it may not have been an accident.

You may be right, after all it has been over ten years since I took those notes.... :) I will fish them out one of these days and brush up a little.... Thanks for the information ;)

Wild Guess: Cassandra
    Nope wrong - she was a harbringer of doom at times, rather like Basil's wife in Faulty Towers :)

As the 24 hours are up, the answer is Sibyl.
    So, does anyone wish to post a question?

Me, me ME!

Which war was the first to see "smart" bombs, cruise missiles and short range ballistic missiles used in the same war?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

I'll try WWI

• Advertisement

Healio wrote:
    I'll try WWI
    OK, I'll ask you to, shall I say, explain / justify your answer.

Advertisement