Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Quiz!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Apologies new to the board, i meant to say the Gulf War in 1990/1

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

World War II actually

"smart" bombs - Fritz X
    http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/annex/an41a.htm
    http://www.fact-index.com/r/ra/radio_control.html
    http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-usn/usnsh-s/cl42-l.htm

cruise missiles - V1

short range ballistic missiles - V2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Corcaigh

what was the German codename for the operation to take Moscow in 1941?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Barbarossa??

No, close but that was the invasion of the Soviet Union. It was operation Typhoon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭martarg

Next question, Corcaigh???

erm what was the name of the ship Sir Francias Drake sailed in on his 3 year voyage circumnavigating the globe?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Golden Hind

aye that's the one

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Back in 1928 there was a record breaking flight with Irish connections and unlike the much more famous earlier ones on this route it was done into the head wind.

What were the connections ?

• Advertisement

i'm not sure what ye mean by connection. Diplomatic ties? or something like irish-americans? Or something different? I'm gonna say Argentina anyway

Perhaps I should have asked, why would Irish people have had an interest in the flight ?

lol **** i misread flight as fight. And i dont have a clue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 eoinm

Back in 1928 there was a record breaking flight with Irish connections and unlike the much more famous earlier ones on this route it was done into the head wind.

What were the connections ?

it was the Bremen flight, they flew from Baldonnel to somewhere in Canada and there was an irish crewman too. Ohh the plane was German.

What is the link between Thomas Alva Edison's shameful marketing scheme and the King of Abyssinia ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

The King of Abysinia was a victim?

The King of Abysinia was a victim?
    No of course not. But close...

Edison used the electric chair to "demonstrate" that DC was safer than AC.

When the first electric chair arrived in Abyssinia they realised there was no electricty... So seeing as how it was well built the King used it as his throne.
    cf. Sword of Damacles

http://www.ccadp.org/electricchair.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Berger

What is a primary and a secondary source?

HAH no one will get this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Berger wrote:
    What is a primary and a secondary source?

HAH no one will get this.

eh...a primary source is a direct link to the event/period in question from the point of view of somebody who has taken part or witnessed....., such as photographs, diaries, memos, government records, interviews, video footage etc.

secondary sources are an indirect link which usually gives somebody else's point of view. simply put, the person wasnt there at the time. best example being your textbooks.

isnt that one of the first things you're taught in history class?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Where / when was the greatest naval battle - by that I mean greatest number of vessels rather than number of combatents or tonnage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Salamis - the Greeks v Persians, about 480BC?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Manach wrote:
    Salamis - the Greeks v Persians, about 480BC?
    Thats it!

How about this: what renaissance naval battle featured the greatest number of galleys in action? Not too far from Salamis really. The commander of one side was the illegitimate son of an Emperor!

Ah sure, didn't I learn the poem for the Intercert - Lepanto, 1571.

So, my question - Name the type Navy Air Arm Fleet aircraft which sunk the Italian Fleet in Taranto Bay in 1940.

Fariey Swordfish biplanes

Correct - I am reading about that raid in "Swordfish: The Story of the Taranto Raid " at the moment .

Your Question.

where was the first use of a foreign air force to bomb one's own territory including the bombing of a city full of defenseless civilians ?

Offhand I'd guess it was during the Spanish Civil War, by the forces under command of General Franco against the Republicans?

• Advertisement

It was a decade earlier but there was a major Spanish connection indeed.

Advertisement