Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Quiz!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

hmm, the spanish bombed their moroccan colonies in the 1910s and 1920s - in 1925 they asked the French Flying Corp to bomb a town after the Spanish forces had been defeated by rebels. Is this what you mean?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

That's the one - your question. ( google for - chechaouen bombed )

Alright, a topical one with the film and all....

What was the name of Alexander the Great's beloved horse?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭REDZ

Bucephalus

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

REDZ wrote:
    Bucephalus
    Google confirms that, so it's your turn to ask a question REDZ

Note: you aren't allowed to Google for answers - just that I saw the film and still couldn't remember the damn things name, but it was miley that sold him.

• Advertisement

If he doesn't come back, I've got more questions, and would love to hear everyones...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Frankie Smith

who killed jean paul marat of french revolution fame?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

who killed jean paul marat of french revolution fame?

Charlotte Corday
    With a dagger
    In the bathroom

:D

Didn't they make a death mask from him ?

no idea

ok my turn, i'll make it an easy one.

In what year were the Vikings "expelled" from Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭elvenscout742

Umm... 1014, was it? That was the Battle of Clontarf, anyway ;) .

In what year was power restored to the emperor of Japan? ('Tis easier than one might think... ;) )

1945 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭F Fiesta

Um

What port did Joseph Mengele leave in his search for new life in South America?

1945 ?

Ummm... not quite. Have you seen The Last Samurai? I'm not sure if I should correct you.

would it have been 1868?

Have you seen The Last Samurai? I'm not sure if I should correct you.
    eh no. nor do I plan to :D

Well, you really should. Great movie.

And Frankie Smith was right.

Umm... 1014, was it? That was the Battle of Clontarf, anyway ;) .

you were wrong by the way....the answer was 902. they were "expelled" for almost 15 years before returning to take control again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Thats a bit silly of a question :)
    THey were ultimatly expelled for good in 1014.
    They were also expelled briefly during the reign of Muireartach, for quite some period of time, but that doesnt count either.
    Anyway, meanie ;)

who fired the first shot in the irish war of independance?

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    Thats a bit silly of a question :)

Tell Prof. Clarke that. He seems to think it was fairly important.
    But sure what would he know? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭GusherING

who fired the first shot in the irish war of independance?

Two IRA men at Soloheadbeg in Jan 1919. They killed 2 RIC men. ;)

I guess it's my turn at a question. Here goes.

Where did Sean McBride announce that Eire would become a republic. And for bonus points, why (allegedley) did he announce it then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

GusherING wrote:
    Two IRA men at Soloheadbeg in Jan 1919. They killed 2 RIC men. ;)

I guess it's my turn at a question. Here goes.

Where did Sean McBride announce that Eire would become a republic. And for bonus points, why (allegedley) did he announce it then?

Wasnt it in Canada?

Something to do with either dev or being insulted by a minister or the ambassador over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭GusherING

ISAW wrote:
    Wasnt it in Canada?

Something to do with either dev or being insulted by a minister or the ambassador over there?

Well done. Although Dev wasn't there, he wasn't in power. The Canadians made a toast to the King, being the official head of state to both Canada and the Free State. This obviously didn't go down well with the Irish and in a drunken act, McBride decided to call a press conference. Later (and sober, I can only assume) he announced the pending declaration of a republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ah thats harsh, don't blame it on the drink.
    He saw the oppurtunity and took it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭RagShagBill

Name the three ex-Lenin Politburo members in the dock in the 1938 Great Show Trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Kamenev , Zinoviev , Bukharin?

Bukharin, Krestinsky and Rykov. Still battling my way through Stalin: The Court of the Red Tsar! Great book

Hopefully not too difficult: What was Strongbow's (credited with beginning the Norman conquest of Ireland) real name and title?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Would that be Richard Fitzgilbert de Clare, Earl of Pembroke ?.... starting 800 years of English oppresion, culminating when Fran won Celelbrity Love Island. :)

Advertisement