Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Quiz!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Your question :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Hatsheput of Eygpt was the first women to become King of that country (as only Kings could rule and not queens). On various statues/portraits erected by her, what distintive male attribute was also added to show her sujects that she properly qualified to be King.
    [Source: Decline and Fall of practically everybody - Will Cuppy <fun to read>]

And we're not allowed to Google it? For shame! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Either a Beard on the chin (or a pen is - but doubt that , then again there wern't as many puritans back then )

Indeed Capt'n Midnight is correct - it was a beard.
    This so enraged her successor, Thurmose; in his reign he went around bricking up any statues of her and chisselling her name of records (they did not have rm -rf * back then) .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Manach wrote:
    (they did not have rm -rf * back then) .
    Or sneaky ways to read deleted data :D

A white crystaline substace "shaped" the destiny of many Africans. It was a rum business but what I want to know is what "geometric" shape made it possible ?

At a guess, was it salt?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭moynihan

Diamond?
    If I'm right, what was unusual about the roman consul Incatatus?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Neigh idea. :D

• Advertisement

moynihan wrote:
    Diamond?
    twas not diamonds - the triangular trade was based on sugar/slaves/(rum, later on manufactured goods).
    If I'm right, what was unusual about the roman consul Incatatus?
    He had six legs :eek: two at the back and forelegs in front.

The Aztecs used to play a game not unlike basketball.
    What were the winners entitled to ?
    And what could happen (not always) to the loosers ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭moynihan

The winners were entitled to the clothes of the other team. As I recall the other team were sometimes beheaded.

More or less, some accounts it was the jewellery of the spectators, others the possessions of the loosers.

Your Question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Tovarishch

I believe it's time to resurrect this dead thread.

Since Moynihan didn't ask a question I hope you will forgive me for asking one myself.

Who succeeded Mao Zedong as leader of the Chinese Communist Party?

Tovarishch wrote:
    I believe it's time to resurrect this dead thread.

Since Moynihan didn't ask a question I hope you will forgive me for asking one myself.

Who succeeded Mao Zedong as leader of the Chinese Communist Party?
    Hu Guofeng?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Tovarishch

ionapaul wrote:
    Hu Guofeng?

Correct.

Your Question.

Which Irish-born Confederate General (the highest ranking Irish officer in the Confederate Army and perhaps higher ranking than any in the Union side during the war) proposed the slaves be freed in return for their serving on behalf of the South during the American Civil War?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Cleburne? (cant remember his first name)

Should probably ask a question I guess.....here's a three-parter for ya to get the thread moving again.

In the post-war years, which scientist ws one of the most wanted Nazis for his war crimes?
    What was he especially interested in during his work at Auschwitz?
    Was he ever caught?

Yep, Patrick Cleburne!

Should probably ask a question I guess.....here's a three-parter for ya to get the thread moving again.

In the post-war years, which scientist ws one of the most wanted Nazis for his war crimes?
    What type of people was he especially interested in during his work at Auschwitz?
    Was he ever caught?

BUMPITY!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

here's a three-parter for ya to get the thread moving again.

What was he especially interested in during his work at Auschwitz?
    Was he ever caught?

Right off the top of my head and because I'm bored, Mengele? He liked experimenting on kids, particularly twins, hot and cold extreme experiments and injecting various solutions into people to see how their bodies would react. Never caught, disappeared in South America somewhere.

RadioRetro wrote:
    Right off the top of my head and because I'm bored, Mengele? He liked experimenting on kids, particularly twins, hot and cold extreme experiments and injecting various solutions into people to see how their bodies would react. Never caught, disappeared in South America somewhere.

Yup, very good.

Your question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Pazaz 21

I know it's not my turn to ask a question but i thought i might breath some life into this thread. At what time did the first Israeli attacks against Egypt begin during the Six Day War ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Fenian

In the morning, when the night staff and day shifts were changing. Many of the day shift pilots were still in traffic.
    Most of the Egyptian Air Force was destroyed on the ground.

Yes, But at what TIME did they attack ?:)

7?

Near Enough, it was 7.45 am Israeli time (8.45 am Egyptian Time) on Monday June 5th 1967. Your turn .:D

Since it's 25 years since the Hunger Strikes, I'll give ye a hunger striker question.

What constituency was Bobby Sands elected too as MP while on hunger strike?

I'm not that well educated about irish history, especially the troubles, but i'll give it a go. Some where in the shankhill area perhaps, i don't really know the consituencies of Belfast that well. Did you know that their is a street in jerusulem, i think, named after bobby sands. Could be in Egypt though, i can't remember !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Mid Ulster?

Tehran even? http://www.labournet.net/events/0402/sands1.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Sands
    In Hartford, Connecticut a monument was dedicated to Bobby Sands and the other hunger strikers in 1997. The monument stands in a traffic circle known as "Bobby Sands Circle", at the bottom of Maple Avenue near Goodwin Park (link).

The town of Le Mans has named a street after Sands.

As has the St Denis département of Paris

In Tehran, Iran during the early days of the Islamic revolution in 1979 student revolutionaries sympathizing with Sands replaced the street name on which the British embassy was located on from Winston Churchill street to Bobby Sands street. This name still exists today although efforts are being made by the British government to have it changed.

Advertisement