Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Quiz!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Pazaz 21

Victor wrote:

Thats the place, i read it somewhere before, but it was a long time ago. Thanks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Fenian

I'm really looking for the county or counties he was elected too.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Victor wrote:
    Mid Ulster?
    Oops, next one over Fermanagh - South Tyrone.

People are elected to constituencies, not counties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Fenian

People are elected to constituencies, not counties.

True, but I was looking for the counties within the constituence he was elected to.

Fermanagh/ South Tyrone is correct.

Your go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Vulpiner

What was the name of the one-armed, one-eyed Colonel who carried a bomb into into the Wolfs lair and tried to blow up Hitler in 1944?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Stauffenberg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

What was the name of the German Emperor who broke up his Empire in an attempt to move it south to Italy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Pazaz 21

Grimes wrote:
    What was the name of the German Emperor who broke up his Empire in an attempt to move it south to Italy?

Barbarossa ?

Close but no doughnut copper!

Rudolf?

• Advertisement

As in Santa's? I dont think its Rudolf. Now Im second guessing myself. One more attempt and Ill give you the answer

Straining with all my might Ill guess Louis, one of Charlmagnes sons.

I have fecking forgotten now. I think it was Frederick II close with Barbarossa though

edit: yeah deffo Freddy II

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

New Question:

What was the first battle involving the English in which someone got shot with the use of gunpowder?

Avignon?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

Agincourt, Apparantly some French guy brought along a thunder stick.

thats what i meant (stupid brain)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Can I play?!

It's a pity to see the game stopped, this is an excellent way of brushing out the cobwebs in the brain!

... I've just been going on about the topic in politics so... Who was the Viceroy in India at the time of independence and subsequent division of the country?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Mountbatten

The very dude.:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What did Edison invent ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Dasilva94

The electric light bulb?

The light bulb?

If that wasnt him, this is going to be embarressing...

EDIT: We cant both be wrong!

Dasilva94 wrote:
    The electric light bulb?
    So i'm going on the the fact I was right with Edison,and that no one has piped up with another question.

Here's a politco-geographic puzzler:

What is the name of the territory inside Azerbaijan that is claimed by the Armenians?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Dasilva94 wrote:
    Here's a politco-geographic puzzler: What is the name of the territory inside Azerbaijan that is claimed by the Armenians?
    Nagorno-Karabakh.

When did Azerbaijan first gain its independence?

Dasilva94 wrote:
    So i'm going on the the fact I was right with Edison,and that no one has piped up with another question.

Here's a politco-geographic puzzler:

What is the name of the territory inside Azerbaijan that is claimed by the Armenians?
    I was offline so you can ask,

But Edison did NOT invent the light bulb, nor was he the first with a carbon filament - In 1860, an English physicist and electrician, Sir Joseph Wilson Swan, produced his first experimental light bulb using carbonized paper as a filament.

Yeah, well I was going with the popular history version of the answer.:)

But if you look at the wiki page on the Light Bulb you get this paragraph:
    'In addressing the question "Who invented the incandescent lamp?" historians Robert Friedel and Paul Israel (1987, 115-117) list 22 inventors of incandescent lamps prior to Swan and Edison. They conclude that Edison's version was able to outstrip the others because of a combination of factors: an effective incandescent material, a higher vacuum than others were able to achieve and a high resistance lamp that made power distribution from a centralised source economically viable. Another historian, Thomas Hughes, has attributed Edison's success to the fact that he invented an entire, integrated system of electric lighting. "The lamp was a small component in his system of electric lighting, and no more critical to its effective functioning than the Edison Jumbo generator, the Edison main and feeder, and the parallel-distribution system. Other inventors with generators and incandescent lamps, and with comparable ingenuity and excellence, have long been forgotten because their creators did not preside over their introduction in a system of lighting." (Hughes 1977, 9)'

So maybe there is no one person who developed the light bulb as we know it, but a succession of scientists who each improved on the work of their predecessors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭The Long Fellow

ah but who got the patent??

ah but who got the patent??
    ask the Lumiere brothers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Heres one...

Which officer, whom later surrendered the Singapore garrison to the Japanese in WW2, ordered the burning of Michael Collins home 'Woodfield' in April 1921??

Advertisement