Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Quiz!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mad Finn

Heres one...

Which officer, whom later surrendered the Singapore garrison to the Japanese in WW2, ordered the burning of Michael Collins home 'Woodfield' in April 1921??

That would be General Percival of the Essex Regiment.

Interesting that he (and the Essex boys) get such a hard time from Tom Barry in his book Guerilla Days in Ireland. The Essex are portrayed as being even worse than the Black and Tans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Correct, well done ;)

OK My go.

Nobel Peace Prize winner and former Israeli Prime minister Shimon Peres is a first cousin of which famous Hollywood actress?

They're both still alive but they're very old so it's kinda history.

How long do I give it before supplying the answer and asking an even tougher one? :)

OK. If anybody really wanted to know they would have Googled it by now so for the record Shimon Peres, born Shimon Perske is a first cousin of Betty Anne Perske, known to the world as Lauren Bacall.

Somebody else can ask the next one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

what was the viking name for dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

That would have been Dyflinn... a corruption of Dubh Linn, (the Black Pool), which was possibly a monastic settlement on the confluence of the rivers Poddle and Liffey... about where the present Castle Gardens are now. This was maybe the site of the original Scandinavian longphort or ship encampment of the mid 9th century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

Mad Finn wrote:
    That would be General Percival of the Essex Regiment.

Interesting that he (and the Essex boys) get such a hard time from Tom Barry in his book Guerilla Days in Ireland. The Essex are portrayed as being even worse than the Black and Tans.

Which other famous WW2 General served in Cork at that time as Brigade Major of 17 Inf Bde?

Didnt Monty serve a spell in Cork during the troubles? I read an interesting story about Monty being in Cork, he was demanding entry into Macroom castle just after the handover, some of his men had been picked up in the town and were to face a firing squad, Monty proceeded to the Castle in force to demand the release of his men to which the reply was a rifle being pointed at him from a 2nd story window and an Irish voice telling him to 'put his bloody hands up' :D

Ok, now another question......who shot Michael Collins? :p :rolleyes:

Ok, now another question......who shot Michael Collins? :p :rolleyes:

Jonathan Rhys Myers

• Advertisement

Mick86 wrote:
    Jonathan Rhys Myers

I've never looked at him the same in movies since! :mad:

I've never looked at him the same in movies since! :mad:

It's only make believe. I visited Béal na Bláth during the summer and Kilmichael also. Well worth the visit. Witha little effort they could have filmed the ambush on the actual site. Was there supposed to be some symbolism in the film ambush site, with the statue of Christ looking down on Collins.

Anyway back to the quiz,

Which famous soldier graduated 42nd in his class of 51 this day (Sept 28th) in 1785?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wellington ?

Wellington ?

No. Arthur was still a playboy in Ireland. He joined the army in 1787.

Mick86 wrote:
    It's only make believe. I visited Béal na Bláth during the summer and Kilmichael also. Well worth the visit. Witha little effort they could have filmed the ambush on the actual site. Was there supposed to be some symbolism in the film ambush site, with the statue of Christ looking down on Collins.

Anyway back to the quiz,

Which famous soldier graduated 42nd in his class of 51 this day (Sept 28th) in 1785?

I know, thats what a lot of that movie was, make believe (but you can see my opinions on that by searching the history forum :rolleyes: ). I have been to Beal na Blath a couple of years back and am currently doing a bit of research into Collins death.

P.S. You dont happen to have any photos of Beal na Blath do you? I took some the time I was there but with a dodgy disposable camera :(

Just to stay on topic, my answer (off the top of my head) Horatio Nelson.....maybe Napoleon:confused:

I know, thats what a lot of that movie was, make believe (but you can see my opinions on that by searching the history forum :rolleyes: ). I have been to Beal na Blath a couple of years back and am currently doing a bit of research into Collins death.

P.S. You dont happen to have any photos of Beal na Blath do you? I took some the time I was there but with a dodgy disposable camera :(

I took a few. I'll post them in photobucket and PM you the link.
    Just to stay on topic, my answer (off the top of my head) Horatio Nelson.....maybe Napoleon:confused:

That's two answers. Choose.:D

Mick86 wrote:
    I took a few. I'll post them in photobucket and PM you the link.

Excellent! I'm trying to put together a short series of videos too on his death, so if you want I can add your name to the credits ;)

That's two answers. Choose.:D

Christ....ehhh, I'd go with Napoleon, because only a statistic like that would be known for someone who became REALLY famous....my reasoning anyway.

Christ....ehhh, I'd go with Napoleon, because only a statistic like that would be known for someone who became REALLY famous....my reasoning anyway.

You caught me in mid edit. Napoleon it was. I wonder who the nine were that finished below him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Dasilva94

Excellent! I'm trying to put together a short series of videos too on his death, so if you want I can add your name to the credits ;)

I was thinking Wellington, anyway fire away with the next question!

Which German general surrendered to the allies on the 7th May 1945?

• Advertisement

My guess is Walter Model.

Nope, not Model, but the guy in question, his surname rhymes with 'Model' ;)

Nope, not Model, but the guy in question, his surname rhymes with 'Model' ;)

I know, I already googled to check my guess.:D Good question by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Which German general surrendered to the allies on the 7th May 1945?
    All of them! :D

Victor wrote:
    All of them! :D

Smart a$$ :D. I mean which ehh....main one did the 'offical' surrendering.

Smart a$$ :D. I mean which ehh....main one did the 'offical' surrendering.

Well if it rhymes with Model it must be Jodl.

Not that it did him any good.

Mad Finn wrote:
    Well if it rhymes with Model it must be Jodl.

Not that it did him any good.

Forgot about this question, but yes, it was Jodl Mad Finn.......thanks for the picture too :eek:

OK Guess I can ask a question now.

What was the surname of Che Guevara's Irish great-granny?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

"Nan".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Lynch... his name was Ernesto Guevara Lynch... the mothers name is taken second in S. American societies.

Charles de Gaul had Irish ancestory... anyone know the name associated with this?

Advertisement