Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Quiz!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mad Finn

boneless wrote:
    Lynch... his name was Ernesto Guevara Lynch... the mothers name is taken second in S. American societies.

Well your answer is right, but in fact (and for the reason you give) his full name was Ernesto Guevara de la Serna.

It was his FATHER who was called Ernesto Guevara Lynch because that was Che's granny's name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Mad Finn wrote:
    Well your answer is right, but in fact (and for the reason you give) his full name was Ernesto Guevara de la Serna.

It was his FATHER who was called Ernesto Guevara Lynch because that was Che's granny's name.

Spot on mate... mea culpa!

OK. Seeing as we're playing the Aussies at various sports over the next few weeks and seeing as they always view these expeditions as reliving the GAllipoli campaign:

What percentage of Allied fatalities during the Gallipoli campaign of 1915 were ANZACs?

a) 10 % b) 25% c) 50% d) 66%

No googling now, as the rules say. (I've done that so you don't have to)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Hmmm, I'd guess it'd be pretty high, was a pretty disasterous campaign, hows about 66%?

Nope. That's just the proportion the Ozzies would like you to think they contributed.

Next Guess.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ok then I'll go for a b

Ok then I'll go for a b

That's b as in Bingo!!!

Correct. Loads of Brits, Frenchies, Canadians and not a few Irish killed in that one.

'And the Band played.. er... Danny Boy?'

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Anyone care to say when or where this took place ?

Cavalry vs. Submarine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

Mad Finn wrote:
    That's b as in Bingo!!!

Correct. Loads of Brits, Frenchies, Canadians and not a few Irish killed in that one.

'And the Band played.. er... Danny Boy?'

I read somewhere recently that the music for Waltzing Matilda was written in 1936. So the band couldn't have played the tune in 1915. Can anybody confirm or refute?

Mick86 wrote:
    I read somewhere recently that the music for Waltzing Matilda was written in 1936. So the band couldn't have played the tune in 1915. Can anybody confirm or refute?
    http://nationaltreasures.nla.gov.au/index/Treasures/item/nla.ms-ms9065-3-s1
    1895 original / 1903 popular version

• Advertisement

Anyone care to say when or where this took place ?

Cavalry vs. Submarine

Melbourne Cup?
    Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe?
    King George V1 and Queen Elizabeth Diamond Stakes?

or am I completely on the wrong tack altogether?

you are completely on the wrong track altogether, no trick question here, :)

probably one of the strangest military encounters during wartime

you are completely on the wrong track altogether, no trick question here, :)

probably one of the strangest military encounters during wartime

OK I'm reminded of that marvellous scene in the film Lawrence of Arabia where Alec Guinness as Prince Feisal, chases on horseback after a Turkish plane that's been bombing his tent brandishing a scimitar in magnificent but totally pathetic rage.

Getting closer?

very close !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Dasilva94

A troop of Bedouin led by T.E. Lawrence attack a German submarine that has surfaced in the Red Sea and became beached on the Arabian peninsula?

nearly there
    try a different coloured sea and swapping some of the nationalities :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

A troupe of Acrobats led by I.C. Yourma attack an Outer Mongolian submarine that has surfaced in the Mauve Sea and became beached on the Swiss peninsula?

If only you has said Cerise :p

'twas the Black Sea and the Submarine was HMS E11, the Cavalary were Turkish.

OK another question then

The Mongols were able to advance much faster than the traditional walking pace mainly due to what innovation in logistics ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

The use of stirrups?

nope, it's about logistics

hint
    masai

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Maps? Tbh logistics refers to a lot of things, I'm not sure what it could be.

By feeding on the milk and blood of their horses, they didn't have to worry about stopping to find food or carry it to the front. So a huge saving on logistics and they wern't limited to the marching speed of a soldier.

Aircraft carrier question.

Which country invented the aircraft carrier and it's essential bits
    High power, high frequency Radar
    Jet engine and First use of jets on carriers
    Angled Flight Deck
    Steam Catapult
    Ramp to replace steam catapult
    First use of helicopters to ferry troops from a carrier
    Mirror projector landing scheme ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Dasilva94

I don't know of any US carriers that have ever had a sloped deck.
    But I know all of the current UK and some Russian/USSR carriers do.
    I'll take a shot at the Russkies being the answer.

It was the Brits - your question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

It was the Brits - your question

Looks like he isn't playing. :D Ask another.

An US infantry division used to use a native american symbol as their divisional patch. But they changed it in the 1930's.

Why ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Because there were no longer any native Americans in the division?

nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It was a swastika.

• Advertisement

Give the man a cigar.

45original.gif

Advertisement