Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Quiz!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

What political tool is believed to have helped bring about the Partition of Poland in the 18th century?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭don.juanito

The emergence of Russia and Prussia as leading European powers perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Orchard Rebel

An early opinion poll/referendum perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

is_that_so wrote:
    What political tool is believed to have helped bring about the Partition of Poland in the 18th century?

The Peace of Westphalia??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

An US infantry division used to use a native american symbol as their divisional patch. But they changed it in the 1930's.

Why ?

I thought the Swastika was a Hindu symbol.

• Advertisement

boneless wrote:
    The Peace of Westphalia??
    Nope

The emergence of Russia and Prussia as leading European powers perhaps

Nope , although that was part of it ultimately when they swallowed it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭csk

is_that_so wrote:

A Constitution?

It wasn't a Constitution, but that is along the right lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Diplomacy between the three: Prussia, Russia, Austria ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭csk

is_that_so wrote:

Well if that's not the answer I'm stumped. As a guess, a political party or some sort of similar alliance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

is_that_so wrote:

Prussia, Austria and...Russia (I assume)? Spilting up Poland, but I don't know what the actual treaty (if there was one) was called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

According to Wiki (I hate it but still) there were three partitions, so I think the question should either be rephrased or forgotten about, because any of the three partitions listed would be an equally valid answer, or none at all depending on what the person had in mind. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partitions_Poland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I love Wiki. I've actually used it for research, and when cross checking it's actually turned out to be pretty much always accurate. Anyway - you're not supposed to use the web, you pup ya :D

According to Wiki (I hate it but still) there were three partitions, so I think the question should either be rephrased or forgotten about, because any of the three partitions listed would be an equally valid answer, or none at all depending on what the person had in mind. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partitions_Poland

Good to see yez all doing the research. :D OK the answer I was hoping for: liberum veto, which was a political tool , as a result of which the Polish parliament and therefore the country ended up in such a weakened state that they were not in a position to defend against the partitions. Wiki is OK on it but would recommend the book, In God's Playground by Andrew Davies, for a comprehensive analysis of the collapse of Poland at that time. Over to you for a question.

I didn't want to use the web Havok, but I was stumped! is_that_so, I didn't get the question right, although as I said it was awfully vague when you think about it( having just looked it up, one could legitimately claim that the 1793 meeting at Grodno was the answer) so I think you should ask another one, but this time maybe make it so there's only one proper answer.

Point taken.

OK another question.

In 1619 how did some settlers in the Virginia colony find themselves a wife?

Mail order brides? (the 1619 equivalent?)

Mail order brides? (the 1619 equivalent?)
    Yep ,however humour me with the exact details.

Fraid I don't know the exact details, but I think it's hilarious that they did that! I'll leave it for someone else to finish off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

bought white slaves ?

No, AFAIK, there was free will or as much free will as existed at that time. Mail order is a better answer . But how did it work?

I imagine you sent a certain amount of produce or currency of some sort back to your potential wife, or perhaps told their families of the amount of land you had in the colonies, and they agreed to ship her off if you could pay for it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

what is anything to do with whiskey, being a high value, low weight produce ?

The goods had something to do with where they were.

Tobacco then.

Sold to the man with 125 lbs of tobacco.

The answer

The Virginia Company which was running the colony was looking for ways to stabilise and boost the population and make Virginia more attractive. So in 1619 they sent a ship with 90 unmarried young women to Virginia. Any of the colonists could purchase a wife by paying her passage, which was set at 125 lbs of tobacco.

Your question.

Ok then, Who coined the term "Survival of the fittest"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Herbert Spencer, economist.

Funny thing; Spencer is buried across from Marx in Highgate Cemetery... local wags call it "Marx and Spencers Corner"...

• Advertisement

Glad no one said Darwin. Well done.

Advertisement