Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Quiz!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

After reading about new book on Pitcairn Island and the Bounty descendants I thought of this.
    How is both Sydney and Dublin connected to the Bounty?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

The design and building of a harbour wall by Captain Bligh?

Yep that's what he did in Dublin but what about Sydney?

Actually he was very interesting character.
    He served with Captain Cook as sailing master.
    Ok he was there when he got the chop.
    He performed one of the best pieces of navigation and sailing in reaching Timor after been set adrift from the Bounty but nobody made a picture about that?
    I think he has been cast as the baddie because he appeared to lack charm and did not come from the upper reaches of society like some of his adversaries?
    Any thoughts on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

The only other things I really know about him in Australia are that he was Governer of NSW and got "arrested" by the citizens over his attempts to regulate the rum trade... did he do that in Dublin too??

Or did he survey both harbours? He was an excellent cartogropher I believe...

He was governor of New South Wales and did try to regulate the rum trade but ended up been overthrown in a sort of way. He had run in with army officer and ended up affectively stuck in Tasmania. The officer was cout martialed but later appeared to be reinstated as far as I know.
    He did design North Bull wall while in Dublin.
    He was a fantastic seaman and had recommendations from both Cook and Nelson.
    Only thing was he did not appear to know how to handle people.
    Sadly according to some studies the trouble on the Bounty was not due to him but one of other subordinates (I think it was Fryer the sailing master) that he got stuck with on the launch since the mutineers didn't want him either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Locamon

As the last question appears to have been answered a nice easy one

What crusading knight ordered the slaughter of over 2,000 of his prisoners at Acre because ransom was slow in being paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

Locamon wrote:
    What crusading knight ordered the slaughter of over 2,000 of his prisoners at Acre because ransom was slow in being paid.

Richard the Lionheart?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Locamon

Mick86 wrote:
    Richard the Lionheart?
    Correct -guess it's your turn to post a new question

Since nobody else seems to be asking a question I'll pose.

Which religious group suffered the largest number of fatalities as a direct result of Pope Urban II's call for the First Crusade?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

The Jews? Any excuse to organise a pogrom back then I suppose. Plus there would have been large Jewish populations in many of the cities / towns of Europe that the crusaders would have gathered in and travelled through.

Was some of the effort devoted against some of the (now pretty unknown) Christian sects in Europe, southern France?

• Advertisement

The Lords and Knights who were off to Holy War didn't want to leave any debts behind them and used the Crusades as an excuse to kill the "enemies of Christ". As usury was banned by canon law it was left to the Jews to fill this vital element of any economy. The various crusaders took the opportunity to cancel their debts with some real vigour. I suppose that question was a little too easy...

I could ask a nice Iona based one, like what was the name of the 7th century monk based in Iona who was the co-author of the Collectio Canonum Hibernensis?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Orchard Rebel

Kayroo - we seem to keep bumping into each other.

It's a bit late for St Colmcille (I think he was dead by the start of the 7th century) so I'll try St Aidan.

Nope, try again?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Orchard Rebel

Struggling here now. I'll try Saint Cuthbert but I think he went off to Lindisfarne.

I'll give ya a hint, it was not a saint. This one has the air of "it's only easy if ya know it" about it. Tbh I asked it to see would ionapaul get it given the Iona connection but i'd be amazed if anyone else got it without reference to a textbook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Bede? Otherwise my Theology degree was totally wasted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Bede was English! Lived in Northumbria afaik.

The Venerable Bede did indeed live in England (Warmouth & Jarrow?) but alas, though he would have been a contemporary of the 2 monks who wrote the Collectio, he was not one of them.

It would be worth pointing out that Iona is off the coast of Scotland and it makes the fact that the other monk involved in it's writing was from Cork all the more extraordinary. They were both Irish monks, though I am looking only for the name of the Ionan monk.

I'm mortified since i'm from Cork!

Cú Chuimne?

And Mrs. Macgyver wins the prize. For a bonus point can you name the other monk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It would be worth pointing out that Iona is off the coast of Scotland and it makes the fact that the other monk involved in it's writing was from Cork all the more extraordinary. They were both Irish monks, though I am looking only for the name of the Ionan monk.
    But in that era, much of Scotland was under Irish influence.

Agreed, though (and this is not an attempt at starting a debate) what really constituted Irish influence? The Irish, Picts etc dont have any central authority at this stage and, not to put too fine a point on it, sure everyone was everywhere. Even England wasn't centralised at this stage. I was speaking about Iona geographically. The monastery was basically under the monastic system referred to as the "Irish" monastic system.

And Mrs. Macgyver wins the prize. For a bonus point can you name the other monk?[/QUOTE

Ruben (i think he was French)

And now for a bit of modern history

Who was Ireland's first ever newsreader? (it should be easy!) and in what year did she or he retire?

And now for a bit of modern history

Who was Ireland's first ever newsreader? (it should be easy!) and in what year did she or he retire?

Charles Mitchell.

You only get to ask one question at a time.

Congrats :) - now can you name the year he retired?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

jmayo wrote: »
    Actually he [Captain Bligh of the Bounty] was very interesting character.
    He served with Captain Cook as sailing master.
    He performed one of the best pieces of navigation and sailing in reaching Timor after been set adrift from the Bounty but nobody made a picture about that?

Whaddya mean nobody made a film about that?

In both the old 30s movie about the Bounty, starring Charles Laughton and Clark Gable and the more recent one with Mel Gibson and Anthony Hopkins, much time is devoted to describing Bligh's voyage in the open boat and to the admiration other seamen had for it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

OT
    The other great voyage was Shackleton's from Elephant Island to South Georgia.

Congrats :) - now can you name the year he retired?

I'll guess 1989.

My question is

In what year did the European Court of Justice make it's legal decision in the Bosman Case?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ehhowaya

1995 !!

Which female member of the Romanov Family suggested that Empress Alexandra of Russia be 'annihilated' during the first world War?

Advertisement