Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Course are you doing ?

Options
  • 11-02-2003 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

I got my application pack thingy today. I'm probably going to do computer apps in S1.

On a slightly connected subject, the cover letter mentioned sending in short articles etc. for a 10th anniversary commemorative magazine.

So what course will you be doing? (If you aren't too old.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Cait

what is there this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ll=llannah

Advertising (s2)
    Africa and the World (s1)
    Archaeology A (s1)
    Archaeology B (s2)
    Architecture (s2)
    Art and Art History (s1)
    Art Design (s2)
    Classics (s1)
    Computational Linguistics (s1)
    Computer Apps
    Corporate Business (s2)
    Discrete Maths (s1)
    Economics (s1)
    Electronic Engineering (s2)
    Engineering (s1)
    Govt and Society (s1)
    International History (s1)
    International Relations 9s2)
    Investiative Science (s2)
    Japanese Language and Culture (s2)
    Journalism (s2)
    Legal Studies
    Medicine in the Lab (s1)
    Philosophy (s2)
    Psych
    Russian Language and Culture (s1)
    Sociology (s2)
    Writing for life

there you go :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

That's some wealth of options you guys get these days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Session 2 has much better courses this year.. Not sure which I'll go to.. Japanese Language and Culture.. Could there be a cooler one?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

electronic engineering?? you bastards!!

ah well, cest la vie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Oh, I was so happy when I got my application pack. But I have to got to session one (it's either that or holiday with "de family" <shudder>) so I can't do either of the courses I really wanted to do (Philosophy or International Relations ) so now I'm thinking Classics, Govt and Society, International History, Legal Studies, or
    Psych ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭qwidgybo

aaah!tough decision!either i do art design(ooh!ooh!ooh!) and go to session 2, or i do russian(how cool is that language?!i mean,maaad!) and go to session 1.i would put both in my choices and leave it up to the almighty powers that be in the dear old ctyi office,but i have to decide NOW(or soon,anyway) which session i'm going to,for fear of ending up in the same horrible situation kate's trying to avoid-family holiday.

hmm....*strokes invisible beard*....

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Aliminator

WOO HOO! I evaded the regulations and i'm allowed back!! WEEHEE. (i'll be 17 for most of S1) excellent.
    right. everyone do S2. cept for u wankerish type. me's thinking electronic engineering/Corporate Business. who cares!!!
    AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Shoeless Ailbhe

Pretty* monster, u shud do govt and society if you wanted to do I.R..... they're very similar. And good fun. And interestin. According to people I've spoken to anyway!

I'm too old. Moan.

My birthdays monday. From then on I'ma never ever ever more

until i become and RA of course........

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Aliminator

WHA hahahahaha shoeless person.
    Right, all u decent folk off to Sess2. Electronic Engineering!! mad craic. should be..

• Advertisement

alim,that's not nice.you're going to be a nevermore next year.

ailbhe *hugs* i'm gonna miss you!!

and on the course front,i think i'm veering slightly towards art design.i thought i'd add that cos i know you've all been losing sleep over it....

Electronic Engineering.

Choice 2 Corporate Business

Choice 3 Sociology

I'm a winner each way

no more ctyi for me.....oh well;)

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........

would philosophy or sociology involve the least amount of writing?

or with japanese language & culture there's a possibility of NO writing at all, and the added bonus of food and origami, AND i mightn't have to wear shoes, which is always an advantage.

i think people who are annoying/pretentious/aren't funny/have rods up there arses/insult me like a certain person from session one last year should go to session ONE. OKAY? that's session one.

my god, i know someone (who isn't me) from s1 2002 who was
    ...annoying
    ...pretentious
    ...unfunny
    ...afflicted by having a rod the size o' yon big spire up their ass
    ...insulting
    ...from roscommon

...a bitch

does anyone know her????? i can't name her but if anyone guesses, correctly, then i can freely bitch about her.

HINT: her "boyfriend's" name rhymed with her name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

My good likeminded person, I'd say Sociology would have less writing. Still, nothing like that stopping me... Philosophy for myself, possibly (big *possibly*)

I was going to do Session 1 at first, but now I'm doing session 2, so I haven't looked very hard yet. Still, no worries

in philosophy you'll take down piles and piles and piles of notes,write a couple essays,a debate speech,and if you're like me,all the memorable quotes from your classmates and god/instructor.
    however,it is THE BEST COURSE YOU COULD POSSIBLY DO AT CTYI.

cait,i shall pack you in my bag and take you with me.you can sleep in the shower!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

Tbh I couldn't care less about going again. So there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Damn young uns. Them an their music.

Yeah... enjoy having your "fun" this summer... AS IT MAY BE YOUR LAST! Alternatively, next year *I* could try to be an RA... oh sweet jebus wouldn't that be mental? eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Yay! Vote Sven for President!

I'm going to do either Russian or medicine in the lab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Sven? For president? Russian?

Sven for Russian president?

I like it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

yeah, Sven, Russian president is all well and good until you hit the vodka. And you don't want to hit the vodka.

You already have? Never mind.

After careful consideration, involving dartboards and fractal random number generators, I've changed that course choice in my first post to Journalism. Ah, the folly of youth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭shep the malevolent pixie

the african one looks cool. and the japanese one. but f uck it, i'll visit yis, i havta go to the gaeltacht anyway. :)
    sHep :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Laura

sven as an RA...wow! shame this is my last year...*sigh*

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I did Sociology last year - it wasn't my first choice but it was great anyway! We did take some notes but we also had raging debates, and I did a project on Feminism and formulated a plan to take over the world and lock the entire male gender up in cages and feed them water and stale bread -> you have been warned, you'd all better be nice to me. Ahahaha the wonders of radical feminism

I have not yet decided what I'm going to do this year, its my last year *sniff* so I'm gonna try doing something good

I love gingerbread =)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I qualified for CTYI courses in DCU based on score achieved in SAT exams....Is there any other way to qualify? I regret not doing one of the courses now :(

Sometimes when people miss the SAT test they can get in on IQ alone. Thats how my roommate got in last year

what does your IQ have to be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭:D mags :D

Anyone done economics? Whats it like? Or classics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Man U babe

Joanne for RA anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Green Hand Guy

I'm too old. I hate all you youngsters! Having a good time without me! I guess this summer I'll just relax at the CTYI retirement home with all the other elderly people. Anybody mind if I steal their body in a strange voodoo ritual and go in their place? I'll give them a free hat.

Hmm. CTYI retirement home. They should have one of those!

Advertisement