Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

byebyeads.com

Options
  • 22-04-2003 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

Me, and every other Win2k machine in my office are getting the following popup message a couple of times a day at least.
    I'm behind a firewall here too.

Is there anyway of preventing the message boxes?

Application popup: Messenger Service : Message from ALERT SERVICE to Windows User on 4/22/2003 1:20:33 PM

WARNING: YOUR COMPUTER IS AT RISK!

You have just received a message through an open port in your computer.
    This means anyone can send messages like this, or even use the open port
    in their advantage to invade your privacy.

Please visit www.BYEBYEADS.com to secure this port and never receive messages like this again.

MAKE SURE YOU WRITE THIS ADDRESS DOWN BEFORE PRESSING OK.
    PRESSING OK WILL NOT AUTOMATICALLY TAKE YOU TO THE WEBSITE.
    Go to www.BYEBYEADS.com to stop pop-ups now!
    :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

your netsend port is open, you can close this on the server which will stop the messages, but that will only solve this problem your company should have a firewall this will stop this and make your network more secure. I would recomend zone alarm this is a small business / home tool if its a large compay [which i doubt] you will need something better

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Those ads happen via some random netsend or summin on those lines dont ask me to explain :) You can stop it happening by going to the control panel >Administrative Tools > Services and in the services section locate messenger service and disable it that should afaik stop them.

Those ads happen via some random netsend or summin on those lines dont ask me to explain You can stop it happening by going to the control panel >Administrative Tools > Services and in the services section locate messenger service and disable it that should afaik stop them.

i just said that , but you really should install a firewall

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

He said he was behind a firewall.
    It's hard to stop net send spam nowadays because as of Win2K, the messenger service runs using RPC, so it listens on a high port rather than the normal NetBios ports (137-139, 445).
    Just turn off the messenger service unless you really need to use it.

He said he was behind a firewall.
    woops really must read all of the post first :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Go "Start" "Run", and type CMD.

At the prompt type: net stop messenger

Problem solved until next reboot. If you really want to, copy that text to a new text file, rename it to .bat, and dump it in your startup group.

Viola.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

Thanks for the replies lads.
    I was hoping that there'd be some way of preventing the spam other than disabling messenger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

Configure your firewall to block ports 135, 137-139 and 145.

You may experience problems with applications like Outlook (which uses 135 to connect to exchange servers) or MSN Messenger. If that's the case (and assuming your firewall is worth its salt) then tell it to block traffic on those ports except traffic originating from your subnet.

Advertisement