Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA3 & WinXPsp1 Won't run ??

Options
  • 22-04-2003 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭

Is there any known issues with winXPsp1 and GTA3
    It installs fine but when you go to run the game it says gta3.exe has been closed down because of errors.

Any ideas
    Thanks
    Dec

Sorry forgot to mention, I'm running this on
    Epox nforce2 m/b with onboard graphics (gforce2 mx440) I think
    xp1800 running @ xp2400
    and 512 mb ram

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I had the same prob after installing UT2k3 [it istalls a SP1 patch]

GtA would start up but not run.

try the latest Dets for the GF

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

its something wierd but quite a lot of games get fuX0r3d after installing sp1. what i did was a fresh install of win xp then sp1. once they were all nicely done drivers and the rest get installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

You are using :
    (i) The official patch for GTA3 and
    (ii) The D3D patch for the menus?

It still doesn't work?

Did you install SP1 and then try and run the already installed GTA3?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Thanks for that Lads
    I hadn't the offical patch installed
    Whan I installed this I was flying

Dec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

hehe does anyone ever read the Readmes ???

When i got Gta i had same issue its mentioned in readme and there about 30 posts about here.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I got GTA3 last week and it's the most fun I've had playing a game since I first played quake. But I'm having some problems too.
    WinXP Pro + SP1
    Athlon XP2000+
    GF3 Ti500
    MSI mobo
    SB Live value Soundcard

At random times the game locks up, screen goes black and sound gets caught in a loop, i.e. the same fraction of a second of sound looping over and over. Sounds like a drumroll! PC won't respond to Alt F4 or Ctrl Alt Del, hard shut down is the only exit.
    Might happen more often if I change the radio stations, or that could be my imagination.
    Tried setting game sound options to all available options but made no difference.

Game is also patched to 1.1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

GTA3 has never crashed for me on my Win Xp 1.8ghz geforce 4 512ram machine. It wouldn't run until I got the patch and then I had the menu problem too but getting the two patches to fix that problem took a minimum of time.
    What I'm wondering is since I don't want SP1 will UT2k run without the SP installed?

Milltown, try upgrading your soundcard drivers, that should fix the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Originally posted by milltown
    I got GTA3 last week and it's the most fun I've had playing a game since I first played quake. But I'm having some problems too.
    WinXP Pro + SP1
    Athlon XP2000+
    GF3 Ti500
    MSI mobo
    SB Live value Soundcard

At random times the game locks up, screen goes black and sound gets caught in a loop, i.e. the same fraction of a second of sound looping over and over. Sounds like a drumroll! PC won't respond to Alt F4 or Ctrl Alt Del, hard shut down is the only exit.
    Might happen more often if I change the radio stations, or that could be my imagination.
    Tried setting game sound options to all available options but made no difference.

Game is also patched to 1.1

I have this problem in EVERY game :(

A friend had a simliar problem with his Ti500 (mines a base Ge3) - he fixed his by "going into the bios, and change some graphics thing to FF" . Now, im not suggesting you even try that, but... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

God, as good as the game is it's definitly not worth that. You'd save yourself money by buying the ps2 and a copy of vice city rather than having to shell out for a new pc by trying that method :D

Advertisement