Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Millionaire Documentary Is the major Guilty?

• 22-04-2003 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone watch the programmes on the "Millionaire"
    scam. Was it a scam, or a case of wrongly accused?

While the ITV show last night made a meal of it, the evidence looked pretty good to me.

Guilty!

Mike.

Is the Major Guilty of stealing a million? 46 votes

Yes - No one coughs like that in real life!
    0% 0 votes
    No - purely circumstantial evidence
    95% 44 votes
    Not Sure - Can I phone a friend?
    4% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

I watched it too, He's as guilty as hell no doubt about it. They could have got away with it if they hadn't got greedy and gone all the way. Good documenatary though.

Red

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Now that he has been convicted and has no hope of getting the cash he should just say on one of his many live tv interviews,in relation to the show regulars who have tried to get on half a dozen times and realised what he was up to

"And Id have gotten way with it too,if it wasnt for you meddling quiz obsessives!"

Anyway,I thought they should have let us hear how the coughing would sound in a normal show rather than the enhanced sound all the time.I think Network 2 are showing the episode as it would have been broadcast tommorow(wednesday)at 8pm.

I think the wife was pissed off as she was only in itto clear their debts,but when he realised how well he was doing he couldnt stop.And obviously the cougher kept him going as he was getting a bigger slice of the winnings.The makers said they wouldnt have had enough evidence if he had stopped at 125,000 as it could be put down to coincidence.
    But i dont know how they didnt think the wife was trying to help him.And how did nobody seemingly hear the guy shout "no"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

100% absolutely positively guilty. No question about it. The documentary was compulsive viewing. Isn't it repeated tomorrow on TV3? I missed the first 10 mins of it.

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

is this the same documentary that RTÉ showed on Sunday night. the full episode is on Network 2 tomorrow night

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    Looks guilty as hell.

But I cant help thinking that there was some engineering done to bring the coughs "to the fore front". I really do not beleive it was that loud.

And if thats really how it did come across in the recording then the sound guy needs fired.

Yeah of course the sound was made louder they said that before it started.. but what they did do was only louden the coughs after each answer to make him look more guilty.. when there was loads of coughs during the show which they didn't highlight..
    I'm 99% sure he's guilty tho.. or else there was some coincidental coughing and he's a complete madman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Can I get a 50:50?

Originally posted by Victor
    Can I get a 50:50?

COUGH cough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

time to call in the Men In Black.

He's guilty as hell but i wouldnt have testified against him like that guy with the glasses who got so worked up about it. I'd have said fair play to the guy for devising such a strategy, and conceal any suspicions i carried, then blackmail him after the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Guilty Guilty Guilty. And Thick! The Martin Bashir Docu used enhanced sound to emphasive(ws?) what was going on. The best part had to be when the question was on the designer of a famous city? And the answer was Paris but the Major was convinced it was Berlin, because the designer in question was a Baron Haussmann (a very German sounding name). He kep saying it was Berlin "I'm sure, I'm sure etc...." and yer man Techwin Whatyemaycallhim actually coughed "nhoooo" "ehhhhmm" Classic. And, again, what a thick f***er

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

To avoid any further cough-related shenanigans, ITV have introduced a new lifeline called "Phone a Fishermans Friend". Hardeehar.

(comment received by email weeks ago)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

it was really funny
    fair play to the man for tryin it if he stopped at the 250k probaly wouldnt have been caught

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭oneweb

I haven't seen the episode in question, but I have seen some of the Martin Basher (sic, used to think he was good) documentary. From the phonecall to say "sorry but we feel there were issues with the recording you ain't gettin' the money" - "well, I don't know what to say but I refute the allegations" to the wife just looking as if to say 'yip, we won, that's great' when she came on stage to the "allergic reaction" the cougher was suffering (which miraculously cleared up once he was in the hotseat)

It's such a pity that this and the first Millionaire (advertised so much in competition with the final Foot in the Grave, that it made people sceptical as to the authenticity of the win) have tarnished the game. WWTBAM is a fantastic format, but unfortunately when occurrences like this arise it loses some of its appeal.

Usually a TV recording would pretty much mute the audience until moments of tension or applause, therefore it would be necessary to "enhance" the audience audio to highlight noises. However this gives rise to a potential dubbing of extra effects.

Anyway, my verdict will arrive once I've seen the show tomorrow. (Hopefully it'll be the non-enhanced version, though it's unlikely as Celador wouldn't have released it without clearance)

It is what it's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

That wife looked a complete ball breaker, it was obviuosly her brainchild, as the major was a complete tit.

But there is no doubt that they are guilty, no doubt.

Still it was a good laugh, stupid twats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

Thought the show was hillarious, the major had absolutely no clue to any of the questions.

And when Whittock didn't know the answer to the Craig David question, the wife started to cough - classic:D

Compulsive viewing and of course they were guilty, how stupid can some people be!! They might have gotten away with it though, if they hadn't have been so greedy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I was just flicking around when I came across it but left again when I heard the enhanced cough. If they are not going to let us hear what the real sound of the studio was like then I have no interest in it.

I don't know if he is guilty or not but I don't think that hearing an enhanced soundtrack is grounds for calling him a cheat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

He's definetly guilty... However I wonder how much ITV paid Martin Bashir to make the Major seem more guilty!

GUILTY GUILTY GUILTY GUILTY GUILTY!!!

Fcking idiot. What a moronic, idiotic, foolish dumbass.

Just watched the whole show...

OK, so if he got help once or twice so what, but the man was so thick that he actually went through all four options at least twice/three times for every bloody question. Yeah, so the sound was 'enhanced', but still he made a fool of himself each question waiting for that "divine inspiration".

I thought this bit was funny....

For £500,000: "Baron Haussmann is best known for his planning of which city? A:Rome, B:Paris, C:Berlin, or D:Athens."
    Ingram: "I think it is Berlin. I think Haussmann is a more German name than Italian or Parisian or Athens. I am really not sure. I'm never sure. If I was at home, I would be saying Berlin if I was watching this on TV."
    Cough *no*.
    Ingram: "I do not think it's Paris."
    Cough.
    Ingram: "I do not think it's Athens, I am sure it is not Rome. I would have thought it's Berlin but there's a chance it is Paris but I am not sure. Think, think, think! I know I have read this, I think it is Berlin, it could be Paris. I think it is Paris."
    Cough.
    Ingram: "Yes, I am going to play."
    Tarrant: "Hang on, where are we?"
    Ingram: "I am just talking to myself. It is either Berlin or Paris. I think it is Paris."
    Cough.
    Ingram: "I am going to play Paris."
    Tarrant: "You were convinced it was Berlin."
    Ingram: "I know. I think it's Paris."
    Tarrant: "He thought it was Berlin, Berlin, Berlin. You changed your answer to Paris.
    "Well done! you've just won £500,000."

Also, earlier on when there were no coughs on the A1/Craig David option and the wife starts "coughing". OMG, even the blondes behind her copped something was up! All throughout you could see wifey thinking "for fck sake man, take the money and run now"

He didn't have a clue from the start. He'd never heard of the cheese, was pretty sure it was from France, no cough, Switzerland, cough, yeah Switzerland, cough again, yeah I'm going to go Switzerland, I think I remember seeing "made in Switzerland" on it once.

The man is just inherently stupid and should be locked away for the danger his stupidity poses to his kids.

T'was worth watching anyway!

It is what it's.

Nice sig oneweb
    Saw the actual show on network 2 tonight..
    The last question was the icing on the cake..

Ingrim: it's either gigabit or nanomole
    Ingrim: i think it's a nanomole
    Ingrim: but it could be a gigabit
    Ingrim: i don't think i can do this one
    Ingrim: i don't think it's a megatron
    Ingrim: i don't think i've heard of a googol
    Techwin: COUGH COUGH

Ingrim: by process of elimination i think it's a googol

Ingrim: i really do think it's a googol

Ingrim: it's not gigabit, megatron or nanomole so it must be googol
    Ingrim: i don't know what a googol is
    Ingrim: i'm sure it's googol

Ingrim: Chris i'm gonna play
    Ingrim: It's a googol
    Ingrim: I think it's a googol

Ingrim: I'll go for Googol because I've never heard of it

Chris: You've just won one million pounds!!

5 clear coughs after each time he says googol.. he's definetly guilty - no question about it

• Advertisement

The guy was so incredibly thick. It was so obviously a fix. Wifey looked like a real ball breaker too. I'd say she gave him hell after they'd lost the million.

- Dave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

I caught it from the Craig david coughs.....did anyone else think that maybe Chris Tarrant copped on to his 'sub strategy' ?
    I mean chris must be fairly used to the sound of a studio during filming. I reckon Chris must have sat down a some point prior and wondered how a cheat would be possible!!?? -or did I miss that bit:D :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

It was sooo dodgy

I think its germany .. cough NO .. maybe its paris .. yeah its paris

I don't think its a googol .. I mean by process of elimination it's a googol

and then

Your not winning a million .. emm ok then

didn't ask what irregularities or was it against him ..

he is prob gonna really milk the story and make some money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

So obviously guilty Im amazed the case took as long as it did.

By about 64,000 I was seriously pissed at Ingrim just because he delayed....so....bloody....much....and Ive have to agree with the "ball-breaker" synopsis of the wife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

i heard carlton are to make an extra 75 million in syndication rights worldwide from the publicity generated from this so called "crime of the century".

Not bad for a formula that was already past its sell by date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Ingram is 100% guilty of being a complete idiot anyway. 99% guilty of cheating. If he quit at £64,000 or even £125,000 he probably would have gotten away with it. But alas, the greed monster took control of him and that was that.

The way he kept mentioning all the answers to every question was plain weird. The coughing, although amplified, was obvious to some of the other contestants at the time and when Whitock coughed "No", I just laughed.

I wonder if anyone's ever cheated on The Lyrics Board ?! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

They could've at least made it a little less obvious... I mean, he could've tapped his chair to tell Ingram the answer every now and then, just so he wasn't coughing every time.

Apart from the Craig David question, did the guy who was telling him the answers get them all right? Bet he's livid he didn't get a chance to go up himself.

And what's the deal with bringing stuff onto the show with you? Could you hide a mobile phone in your shoe or something, put it on vibrate and have someone in the audience ring you when the right answer was read?

Meh... lot's of much less obvious ways of doing it IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

I wonder if anyone's ever cheated on The Lyrics Board ?! :p [/B]

Oh come on the lyrics board is sooooooo pre staged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

You mean you watch it ! ;) :eek:

BTW Yer man Tequin Whitock, that was giving the Major the correct answers got a go in the chair straight after the Major! He came away with the incredible amount of ... one thousand pounds !!!

Yeah, and I hear his cough miraculously vanished too.

- Dave.

Originally posted by PiE
    Apart from the Craig David question, did the guy who was telling him the answers get them all right? Bet he's livid he didn't get a chance to go up himself.

He did!!! That was the funny thing. He was coughing from his position in the fastest finger seats. He was next into the hotseat, and, as TmB said, his cough (caused by QUOTE 'an allergic reaction' ENDQUOTE) amazingly cleared up completely! The fact that he did so miserably himself was very amusing.

I look forward to watching the movie version that's expected to come of it all. :)

It is what it's.

Advertisement