Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reseting CMOS

• 22-04-2003 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Evening all,
    Quick Quiz....

Does reseting the cmos jumpers wipe the software off ur harddrive? Or is ok to move them without making any sort of preparations??

I was adviced to do this by Creative to sort a graphics card problem..

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Moved to tech, please read the hw tweaking charter.

No, it won't erase any data from the hard disks.
    You shouldn't need to prepare at all, just swap it around, press the power button, swap them back, and power on. Should be fine from there. You may have to go into the BIOS to set up a few little things again like the CPU speed or whatnot, but it's nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

Thanks phax

So I:

power down
    switch the jumpers
    power up
    power down
    swap back and power up

just wanna really make sure !!!

Thats it. Before you touch anything, make sure you ground yourself (touch the metal of the case) and when you power up after swapping the jumper, nothing will happen - thats normal.

I'm not even sure one needs to hit the power button after swapping them, but I always have.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

Cheers phax

I think i can handle that :)

You dont know where i could get a S-video to vga adapter in dublin?

I believe they're commonly called "VGA boxes" and they cost 50 quid or more. Not sure, I'll leave that for someone else to answer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement