Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question: The Auld Triangle

Options
  • 22-04-2003 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭

A quick question about The Auld Triangle by Brendan Behan. Does anyone know what the triangle in the song sctuall refers to? Is it the triangle instrument? A link to the answer would also be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭francie brady

The Auld Triangle went gingle jingle,
    All along the banks of the royal canal.

I thought it spoke for it's self. The triangle was used to wake the imates every morning for the slopping out. Behan spent some time in the joy. And yes the triangle is the same as the musical precussion instutment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

Can't find a link but to me it seems the triangle was used to wake/call the prisoners to whatever, and was of the instrument sort, though I doubt as dainty and shining!

Mount Joy prison is on the banks of the royal canal and Behan was locked up there for trying to kill a police officer, so I guess this was written after and about the time he spent there.

Advertisement