Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S-vid to vga adaptor

• 22-04-2003 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Evening all.

I searched for this topic but I didnt find an answer

I have a GF4 ti4200 and i want to set up two monitors on it.

What kind of adaptor do I need? All the adaptors I've seen have a vga socket at one end but some kind of rectangular socket on the other. Whereas on my card I only have 1 vga socket(my primary monitor) and a circular 4 pin s-vid (dvi ???) socket.

Basically, what I need is a "roundy" s-vid to "rectangulary" vga adaptor !! :)

So exactly what do I need to install a monitor in this S-vid(dvi) socket.

Any Ideas?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Erm, simply put, you can't.

Cards that support multimonitor rigs will generally have two "monitor-type" outputs - by this, I mean either a total of two either D-SUB (VGA) outputs or DVI outputs; your card is a single-monitor device with a TV out (the S-Video socket).

S-Video is used for TV pictures, and the interface can't be used to drive another monitor, except (with a lot of help in the form of additional interface electronics) at TV resolutions (~720x576, at about 50Hz, in Europe, or ~720x480 at 60Hz in the US/Japan). Even if you did go to the trouble, it'll show exactly the same picture as your existing monitor.

You'll have to look for a card that supports "DualHead" (Matrox), "Hydravision" (ATi) or "nView" (nVidia) next time...

Sorry,
    Gadget

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

Thanx for reply inspector

I tried hooking up a tv to the s-vid out and i was able install it as an extra monitor using nview but it wasnt a very good picture.

So in theory do think it would be possible to use a monitor with an adaptor?

Any idea where i'de get one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

even if you could, it woudl still look like crap!

TV's aren't excatly Hi-res!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

I'm afraid that I have no idea offhand... but to be honest it's not worth it. TV is a fixed-resolution, fixed-refresh medium - bear in mind that it's intended to be viewed at a minimum distance of about 6 feet as well - any closer than that, and the relatively low refresh rate (50Hz versus 75+Hz for most modern display setups) will quickly lead to headaches in most people; 72Hz is the EU recommendation for so-called "flicker free" viewing, IIRC. It's also locked to an effective resolution of about 720x576 - I say "effective" because there are actually 625 lines of analog colour data in Irish/UK TV (PAL standard) and TV "pixels" don't have the same aspect ratio as those used on monitors. Simply put, a TV makes a terrible monitor, to echo SouperComputer.

Also, from what I remember, any time I've seen such adaptors it's been for a price you could end up paying for a cheapish dual-monitor-capable graphics card (~150 USD) - as such, it's not worth it unless you absolutely need it somehow (such as recording video from a laptop with no TV out, maybe?).

Hope this helps,
    Gadget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

buy a new graphics card you are putting yourself in for a lot of low quality images if you dont and you still intend to do this

• Advertisement
Advertisement