Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Clane?

Options
  • 22-04-2003 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Does anyone know when broadband will become available in Clane?

Best guesses (or pointing me in the right direction) welcome...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

wtf is clane

eh i would guess sometime when where all flying between the moon and earth and i own the solor system

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by bizmark
    wtf is clane
    It's a town in Kildare. Jabbaman, I wouldn't swear to it but Eircom appear to be reactivating their rollout process at the moment, although as far as I remember Clane is a pretty small town, so I wouldn't go holding your breath. You should give Eircom a tinkle to ask though, on 1800 512 128, and you should also check out the IrishWAN forums to see if there's any wireless activity nearby.

HTH,
    adam

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You can get broad band in Hazelhatch. It is smaller than Clane. (Ok it's smaller than most places really)

On the other hand
    Lucan was green fields a few years ago. Within 200m of here are the railway line and Canal where the fibre runs. Between HP / Intel / City West / Park West and Blanchardstown - only 90% of PC's in Europe have components made, shipped or supported within RADSL radius of here. So between all the interconnects of the campuses above and the numbers of employees residing locally there is a large residential market easily supplied - you'd think.

So of course my internet link is a mixture of satellite from Italy and shared ADSL from the next county (15Km away)..

From here it almost looks like a deliberate policy of NOT upgrading exchanges where BB is in greatest demand.

Rant over...
    -====-======-=====-=====-======-
    In Clane (& Newcastle) there are lots of poles for TV / MMDS - you should be able to setting up a WiFi wan locally. 8km at 11Mb is do-able - so you may need one repeator to link in.
    http://www.irishwan.org/board/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭acid

I live in Clane, and yes it is a pretty small town, but not that small. The population is over 5000 and growing rapidly.

Eircom say that dsl should be available here in october or november 2003. Don't hold your breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jabbaman

Thanks for the updates guys.
    I think I'll do some research into the WAN option.

When I call Eircom I should threaten to sell my shares...
    That'll show 'em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Hi,

I have a wireless network node setup in Hazelhatch, connected to part of the DublinWAN wireless network.

I can get my signal near Straffan so odds are that it could reach Clane, anyone interested in connecting up then give me a shout.(at the moment if you were connected from Clane you could get through to Celbridge, Saggart, Lucan, Clondalkin, Cabra)

stephen@kildarewan.net
    http://www.kildarewan.net/

Advertisement