Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Article] Brennan launches rural transport scheme

• 22-04-2003 9:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not convinced about such a service, it sounds like pandering to the "I want to live in the middle of nowhere, but have all services available to me" brigade.
    Brennan launches rural transport scheme
    Tuesday, 22nd April, 2003

The Minister for Transport, Mr Brennan, today officially unveiled transport services for people living in remote rural areas of Counties Leitrim, Cavan and Sligo who do not have regular access to a car.

The two services - Rural Lift Ltd Leitrim/Cavan and West Sligo Rural Transport Working Group - are part of the €6 million Department of Transport-funded Rural Transport Initiative, launched in July 2001 and operating in 25 counties.

In the main, the services are one-day-a-week services using mini-buses. Many of the services are door-to-door and are designed to fit in with existing scheduled services.

Some 270 new transport services are being provided and more than 2,000 people use the services every week.

Minister Brennan said: "Research has shown that those who are most marginalised by lack of access to transport in rural areas are women, the elderly, the mobility impaired, people on low income and young people. Research also shows that the provision of accessible, affordable and acceptable local transport can make a very important improvement in the quality of life for these people.

"This particular initiative is helping to address that issue. These services in Leitrim, Cavan and Sligo are an excellent example of how some who may have felt left behind or marginalised can get out and enjoy shopping and social and community life," he said.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭embraer170

I'm not convinced about such a service, it sounds like pandering to the "I want to live in the middle of nowhere, but have all services available to me" brigade.

Plenty of other European countries where you can live in the middle of nowhere and yet have excellent public transport. Sorry but I can't see why anybody would be against rural transport schemes.

Jer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by embraer170
    Plenty of other European countries where you can live in the middle of nowhere and yet have excellent public transport. Sorry but I can't see why anybody would be against rural transport schemes.
    Sorry my point is the scale of "middle of nowhere". In, say Germany, rural houses tend to be clustered together a lot more than here and tend to be on main roads, not a mile up a boreen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭sunbeam

But do these buses actually go through the 'middle of nowhere'? Ours certainly doesn't, but does go through several villages.

It is a very minimal once a week service that provides transport to the nearest town so that those who don't have access to a car-where I live mainly pensioners on very low incomes- can do some shopping. I can't really see how that is 'pandering' to anyone.

Advertisement