Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compustore - Nonexisting laptops??

• 22-04-2003 11:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭

Ok, I was thinking of buying a laptop there around last Christmas.

Compustore had ones advertised in the Sunday world with the following spec: (these r from the exact advertisement. I kept the page)

HP Pavilion ZE 42145
    XP1800
    256Ram
    20G Hd
    combo dvd/cdrw
    14"TFT
    E1399

Hp Pavilion ZE 4258
    XP2200
    256 Ram
    30G HD
    combo dvd/cdrw
    15"TFT
    E1649.00

HP pavilion ZE 5232
    P4 2.53
    256Ram
    40G HD
    combo dvd/cdrw
    15" TFT
    E1899

Ok, i was going to go for the 2nd model. De Xp2200+. Those prices include Vat btw.
    I foned compustore and they were out of stock, told me they`d have new models at end of Jan, early Feb. So i waited, but now all I see in compustore are crap spec systems with crap prices compared to the above offers.

I certainly havent seen the XP2200 offer since.

What i want to know is if they ever had these advertised laptops at all, at any stage?? Is there anyone out there that bought any of the above offers?? If they didnt have them 2 weeks b4 Xmas, didnt have them in the sales, and i havent seen them since, when exactly did they have them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭tech

I had a very similair problem with a Add that HP placed in the Sunday World for a Compaq Evo 1020V laptop

HP pavilion ZE 5232
    P4 2.53
    256Ram
    40G HD
    combo dvd/cdrw
    15" TFT
    E1549 +VAT this might have included VAt not quite sure

But I rang the no. on the page Got through to Compaq Uk ... you'll have to ring Compaq IRL .... Ohhh we dont supply directly to the public ..... Heres a reseller Compustore

Guy from Compustore ammm ammm yeah we have recieved alot of calls about this but we cant supply that laptop for that price

SORRY

What a pain in the back side ........

Why do compains advertise these things and disappoint the public in doing so ???

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dieselfreak

One of the reasons, that Compustore "cant supply at that price" is because they are ripping u off...

I've seen the RRP prices of some of the kit that they are selling... they are adding around 40% mark-up to the RRP, on the products that i've investigated.

Another welcome to Ireland folks

I really dont know how they stay in buiness... it really is the unsuspectiing consumer that hasn't a clue about computers, that's ensuring they can open the doors on a monday.

I'd advise anyone to shop-around first, the BIG NAME highstreet retailers may seem to offer a lot... but I my experience its all smoke and mirrors, bundled cr@p you wont use or poor hardware with limited upgrade paths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Hmm I purchased two of those ZE 4258 latops back in early March, from Compustore in St. Stephens Green, they're actually a very good price for a decent spec'd laptop, I had spent two weeks trying to source the best prices for laptops for our two sales reps, and surprisingly Compustore came back the best (they actually took a couple of quid off the price of the two for me as well), they were half the price of the previous Sony Vaois that we had got (now theres an over-priced pos).

Unfortunaly they're blue and don't look very business-like, a real home-user laptop also note that the video-memory is shared with the main memory (so you really only have 192Mb usable), apart from that they haven't caused any hassle (oh the sounds actually pretty good btw).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

afaik pc superstore deal in all the hp laptops go in ask to speak to a manager and tell him the model number you want they usualy can get them into the store if needed

Advertisement