Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL - How to share Mac/Pc

Options
  • 23-04-2003 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hi lads,

Just ordered VIA DSL but am wondering how im gonna get the PC (Athlon 1800xp running Windows 2000) sharing the connection with the sisters MAC (G4 MacOS 9.1). I know there are probably several solutions based on the type of modem, ethernet or USB, hub and router etc. What is the easiest way? Money isnt really the object so if say an expensive router makes life easier, so be it.

I know that XP and OSX are more compatible network wise but in this case would they really help? Do I need a DSL modem for both? Does one machine have to be always on? Anything on this topic is greatly appreciated to prevent cable swapping sneak attacks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

If money's no object, definitely go with a router. Regardless of what OSes you're using it's the best way to connect/share a connection IMO.
    You could also install some proxy software on the PC and share the connection that way. There's loads of free/shareware proxy applications out there, take a look on tucows.com or download.com.
    If you're looking to share files between the two, take a look at this link:
    http://www.atpm.com/network/files/mac_pc.htm
    I'd avoid a USB modem, they're more trouble than they're worth (again, IMO).

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

If get a 4 port switch/router/DSL modem combo then it is the simplist way to setup.
    They aren't that expensive either, they still come in at under 200Euros.
    You can then set the MAC and PC to use DHCP to get an ip address from the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

if you decide to go for a router, plz tell what router you decide on cause I'm in the same boat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭RapierX

Thanks for the replies lads, I've taken what you've suggested to heart and with a small bit of research have come up with http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=350 - reckon it would do the job?I'll worry about software later

Via are using PPPoE aren't they? If so, that router won't work, it only supports PPPoA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

I'm using a belkin router I got in Compustore (I know...I know) the other day for 84 of your hard earned euros, it works a treat & is very easy to set up (10mins max to configure) it uses html pages for the configuration & comes with a big glossy step by step guide for the less technical minded folk amoung you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭RapierX

I was under the impression VIA are using whatever eircom are using as its basically a resell. As for the belkin I dunno, im a brand name type. This looks like the one I'll get now....http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2001/q4/dlink_dsl504.asp

A lot of people here use D-links, they're pretty good apparently.
    I've set one or two up and they're easy enough to configure.

Advertisement