Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cool Squad Car

Options
  • 23-04-2003 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭

Was in dublin just before the bank holiday in the jam going down the red cow sliproad onto the m50 when this 03 silver Mazda six drove past me siren blazing. It had blue stobes in the tailights, on the rear shelf and somewhere on the front spoiler. Even had a nice set of alloys and a spoiler. Best looking cop car i ever seen.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

lancer.jpg

Nah this is way scarier.

Rumours were going around that the drogheda police had a subaru impreza for the balbriggan bypass. Dunno how true they were.

Chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

A good few years ago I was cruising across UK at a nice tidy 80mph when this 735i blasted past me only to be followed by somethin similar to this:
    esprit.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

and there was me getting all hot and bothered over the lovely red mondeos.....

Although the navy 2.5 alfas with the full leather interiors were serrrrriously sweet too.

I'd love to see the irish cops by special "high performance" traffic cars.

closest they've come (except for the modeos and alfas) is prolly the petrol troopers, but they were originally bought to deal with ram raiders, or summat like that, and not they're extreme aerodynamics.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

I suppose if they ever get the traffic corps up and running they will get some high performance wheels. Something sturdy like a 535 would be ideal for the motorways and bigger national roads.

Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by JohnBoy
    prolly the petrol troopers, but they were originally bought to deal with ram raiders, or summat like that, and not they're extreme aerodynamics.
    The 4x4s are largely for presence and visibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

I suppose if they ever get the traffic corps up and running they will get some high performance wheels. Something sturdy like a 535 would be ideal for the motorways and bigger national roads

SA's police force r one step ahead:
    Bmwpolice3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

The english police trialled some Porsche 911s for a while back in the 80s. It turned out they couldn't keep up with the Cosworth's they were so supposed to catch so they were ditched.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,351 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Dutch motorway police have been using Porsches since the '70s, most commonly the 911 targa. They have been replacing these in the last decade with M3's :-)

Now what a hard job that would be.

[Police type guy] "heres your M3, now go out and chase some high performance cars"

[lower rank police type guy] "ahhh not again"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭krinDar

The Gardai are also prowling around in an unmarked BMW X5.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

it's ok there's hope for us yet. (sorry about image quality)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

They used to Have Opel Calibra's on the dunleer bypass a few years ago, unmarked with a scrolling LED display that lit up telling you to pull over......

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Apparently the Gardai have been approached by a number of car manufacturers and offered specially adapted road cars for use as Garda cars, they would be kitted out with all the equipment necessary but for the price less than they purchase the cars that they are using now.. something around the £20k - £25k mark.. This would allow them to standardise the range of cars that they have across the board and allow them to be maintained at a cheaper rate..

From what i heard some of the companies that approached them included Opel, Rover, BMW and Ford...

They didnt accept any of them as they didnt want to be seen to be linked to any corporate entity.. typical.. its good enough for every other Police force in the world but not the good oul Gardai.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

Badass police cars are pretty much a thing of the past nowadays- the police helicopter supersedes them all. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

In the UK, the police use stripped out Jaguar XJ8's and 530 diesels

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

It really depends on the individual police force for what cars they buy in the UK. Quite a number of them took on a load of MG ZT-T's of late.

The south carolina state troopers have the right idea.

nev01.jpg

sc8bmw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

I wouldn't fancy my chances in a race with one of these!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

I hate to think how much the cop lights take off the top speed, for their unaerodynamic properties:D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by ToxicPaddy
    They didnt accept any of them as they didnt want to be seen to be linked to any corporate entity.. typical.. its good enough for every other Police force in the world but not the good oul Gardai.
    The arrangement as I understand it is the manufacturers tender at the start of the year for certain categories of vehicle, say patrol car, high performance car, small van, large van / minibus / paddy wagon, and 4 x4. Each model needs to be able to meet certain minimum standards and then specific standards for their proposed use. A list is then provided for the 3 lowest tenderers in each category and each Garda division is entitled to choose from that list as needs (and budget) arise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

I saw an Audi A4 3.0 with those blue lights "hidden" behind the front grille and on the rear shelf, looked pretty cool actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

I also heard a while back that not all garda cars are D regs anymore. When you say a D reg mondeo with an aerial when you were driving in the country before, you knew it could probably be an undercover squad but i hear now they are registering them in the county they are to be used in. Any truth in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

ya they are regestering some of them in the areas that they are being used in , a while back when the ryans [in limerick] got "kidnaped" there were loads of limerick reg cop cars around, but on talking to some of the garda they were actually there own cars as there wasent enought to go around .there are also some limerick reg boy racer type cars around with tinted windows to combat drugs and gun crimes at times

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Wouldn't like to be a Garda working in the family car. Especially in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

From what I have heard there is an unmarked BMW 7 series around the place two....

But in fairness the cops should really start to look at getting faster cars those fiesta vans are never going to catch much are they :D

kayos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Also keep in mind mind that all is not what it seems with some of the "crappier" cars.

Years ago my neighbour (cop at the tmie) was driving aroun in a dtripped out Renault 4 with a highly tuned 1600 twin-cam in it. Fast as fcuk!

And at the moment the traffic cop where I come from has a lightened Mondeo with a turbo stuck on it's 3.0 V6! Unbeleivably quick. Saw it catching a previous model M3 a while back.
    It just didn't seem right:

M3 goes by doing about 40 in a 30 zone.
    On go the flashy lights.
    M3 driver panics and floors it.
    Modeo rockets away from a standing start and catches it in no time.
    M3 driver gives up after spotting the mad Mondeo all over him.

Heh heh, funneh!

Advertisement