Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Program too big to fit in memory?

• 23-04-2003 9:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

I am trying to run a downloaded exe file. A dos window opens and I get the above error. I am running XP Home.
    Anyone any ideas how I can get this prog to run?
    Thanks, iwb.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭str8_away

I have never heard of that message before.

How much memory do you have, what program do you have and how big is that program?

Just guessing,
    It might be self-extrac exe file, so it might be looking for free space on your hard drive large enought to fit the content in side it. Try to free some space and then run the program again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

try rebooting then running the program

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

I tried the reboot already. It didn't make any difference. It is a 19Mb file. There are gigs of spare space on the hard drive. I also have 256Mb of ram. I have seen this error before on 500Mb files and gave up on them but I didn't expect it with a file under 20Mb.
    Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

i am guessing it is poor programming practise ,the program might be caught in a loop and is eating up memory, can you give me the link to the program?

Can't give you a link. I downloaded it from Kazaa. It is RealPlayer 9. I went on their site this morning but when I filled in all my info and got to the point of getting the prog, I very annoyingly got the 404 error page. I retried several times to no avail. I thought Kazaa would be an easy solution but it is probably a hacked version that isn't done right or something.
    No big deal. I will try again later. Real will hopefully fix it in the meantime and I can get it then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Sounds like the download is corrupt....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Download corrupt .. happened to me a few times when I downloaded files from kazaa

Thanks for the feedback. I tried Real again and it is still broken. I tried to let them know but their site isn't very friendly towards getting in touch with the webmaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

Sounds like the type of message you used to get back in the old DOS days. If you didnt have enough extended/expanded memory, or didnt have Himem.sys etc installed.

Thats not your problem but *shudder* RealPlayer...ewwww. I would advise you to never put that bloated buggy invasive crap on your PC. Last time I needed to play a RealAudo stream I did a search and found a different app that would play them. I think it was called JetAudio, you should be able to find it on google.

Thanks, I wasn't aware that other progs could do the job. I hate it too, mostly because of advertising and yes, it is glitchy and makes my pc slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

I'd be 99% sure that it's a corrupt/truncated executable.

Gadget

Advertisement