Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Scooters & Bus Lanes?

Options
  • 23-04-2003 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I've a 49cc scooter and after hearing differing opinions I was wondering if anyone had a difinitive answer for me - am I legally allowed to use bus lanes?

Not that I'm gonna stop using them if I'm not legally allowed to :D

But I'd like to know so I don't have to worry about the Gaurds stopping me.

Thanks,
    Boog.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

AFAIK bus lanes, unless stated otherwise, are solely for the use of buses and taxis (occupied? & not hackneys). Bikes (all) are treated like cars by our authorities. (Shows you haw many of our decision makers use them!)

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

Originally posted by kbannon
    AFAIK bus lanes, unless stated otherwise, are solely for the use of buses and taxis (occupied? & not hackneys). Bikes (all) are treated like cars by our authorities. (Shows you haw many of our decision makers use them!)

Not true.

Bicycles are legally allowed in Bus Lanes.

Powered Two Wheelers (i.e. motorbikes & scooters) are not legally allowed. This is despite lobbying from many groups, including the Gardai!

when I mentioned all bikes I meant all mechanically propelled bikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by kbannon
    & not hackneys

excellent, now I can block some of them :D

PS, I hope your right :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

I think the official stance is only taxi's buses and bicycles are LEGALLY allowed but motorbikes of all kinds are a grey area and once you not driving too fast or like an idiot in the bus lane you'll get away with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

I was pulled over for it. A bike in front of me(both 125's), both of us doing about 40 max got pulled over.

Both of us were asked if we were buses, upon answering 'no' we got a stern 'get out of the buslane your not allowed there' talking to and asked to be on our way.

That said ive been passed out in the bus lane by gardai without anything being said numerous times. *shrug*.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

There are "some" bus lanes that motorcycles are allowed to drive in. For example, the contra-flow lane on Leeson Street.

Usually it is speciffically signed, ie a Picture of a bus and a motorcycle on the buslane sign.

I have to say that I think the bus lanes are a good idea but they need to be consistent - some are 24/7 whilst others are 7am to 7pm. WHat really is the point of having a buslane open @ 3am?
    Anyway, I love to drive down the quays in Dublin at 7pm onwards when all the rush hour traffic is still too scared / ignorant to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭boogie man

Thanks for the replys, looks like I'll just keep using them and deal with it if and when I'm stopped. :)

Boog.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Just to add my $0.02 Cousin of mine is a motorcycle guard. I asked him about it. The laws do not allow motorbikes to use bus lanes. But most (ie not all) guards will turn a blind eye unless you are reckless. For example weaving in and out of traffic to get by buses at stops, doing excessive speed.
    I have been stopped by one guard in a bus lane and passed by others at the same spot. Just got a verbal warning.
    -ao-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭boogie man

That's good news! I don't drive recklessly (sp?) in them. I'm a very saftey concious driver, and my 49cc scooter dosn't let me speed! ;)

Boog.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Legally you're not supposed to, realistically any cop that pulls you over for it is a wank3r. I've never heard of anyone every being actually penalised for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Pimp Ninja
    There are "some" bus lanes that motorcycles are allowed to drive in. For example, the contra-flow lane on Leeson Street.

Usually it is speciffically signed, ie a Picture of a bus and a motorcycle on the buslane sign.
    Contra-flow lanes are the most restrictive bus lanes - e.g. taxis aren't allowed use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

I was just giving a specific example of a bus lane that motorcycles are allowed to use. Last time I checked it was signposted, as motorcycles could use this particular lane.

The fact that it is contra flow is just coincidence.

Advertisement